Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Git

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Hi everyone, i'm new here and could use some help. I bought a Mac 24" Leopard computer and have a 4:1 speaker system (4 satellites and a sub) and wanted to know how to hook it up. The two wired that come out of my system are (2) one green and one black. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks pete

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Pete,

You can only connect one analog audio jack to your Mac. Macs and PCs are different in this regard in that PCs frequently have two or three analog ports. Macs all come with optical ports (iMac, Mini, MacBook and MacBook Pro have dual analog/optical; Mac Pro has two separate ports). For true digital surround sound, you need an amp or receiver that has an optical input, then you'd connect your Mac to it by a Toslink cable with a mini-plug on one end. That way you can get up to 7.1 surround if your amp supports it.

Dr Git

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Thank You. Kinda thought that was the case. I wonder if I just use the green wire, if 2 speakers without the sub would work? My speakers are THX certified and sound awesome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.