Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
I'm intrigued by the SSD option on the new MacBook, especially with the increased size to 128 gb and somewhat decreased price.

I'm assuming Apple won't ALSO send you the stock HD for use as an external, that is you only get the SSD installed.

Would it make any significant diff in weight?

(Osaka AppleStore has the new babies--I'm going fer a looksee after work!:D)

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I'm intrigued by the SSD option on the new MacBook, especially with the increased size to 128 gb and somewhat decreased price.

I'm assuming Apple won't ALSO send you the stock HD for use as an external, that is you only get the SSD installed.

Would it make any significant diff in weight?

(Osaka AppleStore has the new babies--I'm going fer a looksee after work!:D)

Since you are right that Apple won't send you BOTH drives. Just buy a SSD on newegg (for cheaper as well) and an external enclosure and then you have a nice external drive AND SSD!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Since you are right that Apple won't send you BOTH drives. Just buy a SSD on newegg (for cheaper as well) and an external enclosure and then you have a nice external drive AND SSD!

Well if Apple is using the Intel SSD, then it will be worth it.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
If you really want a ssd, get it on newegg. But just make sure you really need it though... :-/. Maybe look at a refurb mba?

geometron

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
does anyone know who makes the 128 SSD? i can't seem to find that info anywhere...

i'm guessing it'll be samsung or perhaps toshiba but i've read that intel's is much better than anything else on the market.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
does anyone know who makes the 128 SSD? i can't seem to find that info anywhere...

i'm guessing it'll be samsung or perhaps toshiba but i've read that intel's is much better than anything else on the market.

Super Talent is really good I've heard. check newegg for Super Talent

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Well if Apple is using the Intel SSD, then it will be worth it.

How could it be Intel's? Its MLC drives have different capacities (80GB and 160GB) and while SLC are supposed to be 64GB and 128GB (although I'm not sure about it), there are two problems: since 80GB costs ~$600, there's no way bigger SLC had similar price (Apple offers the upgrade for $500, so it can't cost them much more than $600 if they keep their margin of ~30%), and was it released already? I thought it was coming in a few months...

I suppose we will know once the new Air is reviewed (and disassembled ;)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.