Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
So I ordered a MB 2.0 last night after 2 phone reps and 2 chat reps confirmed "beyond a shadow of a doubt" that the base macbook 2.0 indeed had an illuminated keyboard option.

Today; they confirmed it was a mistake and took the option to add it off the store cart.

My card has already been charged and my order has already been shipped. The return / credit process will take probably a month to get sorted out. Has anyone received any concessions from Apple for the inconvenience?

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
So I ordered a MB 2.0 last night after 2 phone reps and 2 chat reps confirmed "beyond a shadow of a doubt" that the base macbook 2.0 indeed had an illuminated keyboard option.

Today; they confirmed it was a mistake and took the option to add it off the store cart.

My card has already been charged and my order has already been shipped. The return / credit process will take probably a month to get sorted out. Has anyone received any concessions from Apple for the inconvenience?

They will most likely let you return it to an Apple Retail store and give you a full refund -- it should only take a few days until its back on your card. I doubt they will give anyone anything, thats why they have a huge disclaimer that covers everything... we can only hope though.

glide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
They will most likely let you return it to an Apple Retail store and give you a full refund -- it should only take a few days until its back on your card. I doubt they will give anyone anything, thats why they have a huge disclaimer that covers everything... we can only hope though.

I would be okay with that if it was just a typo - but it seems the vast majority of CSR's were backing it up. Especially when I said it was a major dealbreaker for me if it did not have the option...

And really? It took 12+ hours to fix a HUGE mistake like that on their site? C'mon...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ya. After FOUR "customer service" reps told me it had the backlit keyboard they told me if it didn't to call them and they would "take care" of it for me.

I called them and initially they said they could only give me a refund. After speaking to a supervisor they gave me a $150 credit.

glide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Ya. After FOUR "customer service" reps told me it had the backlit keyboard they told me if it didn't to call them and they would "take care" of it for me.

I called them and initially they said they could only give me a refund. After speaking to a supervisor they gave me a $150 credit.

If they are giving out $150 credits, wasting phone reps time, going through the return process etc, I would think it would just be cheaper to upgrade everyone to the 2.4...

Maybe I'm just crazy though.

Subhumanguy

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
I called and they didn't offer me anything except Fedex stickers to send the package back.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
It was a clerical mistake and the reps just read the specs that are you see when you place your order. I'm sure in the fine print somewhere (they have covered their butts legally like every company does) they have this covered if a mistake like this occurs. Mistakes like this happens. That is life. You can always cancel your order or return it for a full refund. Everyone is trying to get something extra for nothing. I don't blame anyone for trying it, but I also don't blame Apple for saying, nope---it was a mistake and we will give your money back.

glide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
It was a clerical mistake and the reps just read the specs that are you see when you place your order. I'm sure in the fine print somewhere (they have covered their butts legally like every company does) they have this covered if a mistake like this occurs. Mistakes like this happens. That is life. You can always cancel your order or return it for a full refund. Everyone is trying to get something extra for nothing. I don't blame anyone for trying it, but I also don't blame Apple for saying, nope---it was a mistake and we will give your money back.

It is not something for nothing. It is something for wasting a lot of people's time and tying up a lot of people's money. Like I said - a mistake on the spec page is understandable, but CSR's and managers backing it up in order to make a sale is something else...

IFBrock

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2005
I ordered mine with the aluminum keyboard. I wonder if I can go to the store and raise hell and get a free upgrade hehehe.

Subhumanguy

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Yeah I'm very annoyed. I have close to $1400 tied up now that I can't use until I receive the macbook and ship it back and they receive it and credit me. That could be a couple of weeks! The CSR actually had the audacity to say that I would have to pay to ship it back because it's my choice to ship it. Obviously she knows little about contract law.

glide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I guess the lesson is never buy any new Apple product right away..

New MBP - Faulty graphics chip they don't own up to until months later
New iPhone - sees a huge price drop 1 month later
New MB - Advertised with backlit keyboard, but doesnt really have one.

It took me a while to learn my lesson, but now I'm really over it.

ohemetophobia

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Yeah, I guess I learned my lesson too. In retrospect, I would have opted for the higher-end model WITH the backlit keyboard had I known my model wouldn't have it, contrary to what the specs said. Now, with $1400 tied up in a model that's shipping (hopefully soon), I guess I'd rather just deal with it and forget about it. Shipping it back to them and then getting the higher model would take WEEKS and I'm far too impatient for that.

Is it possible to return it to an Apple retail store instead, and just exchange it for the higher model (paying the difference, of course)?

ohemetophobia

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Yes, I'm sure you can just walk in and exchange it.

I might... But $300 difference? I'm having a hard time justifying that. Comparing a 2.0 GHz MacBook (with a HD upgrade to 250 GB) and a 2.4 GHz MacBook, it's a $150 difference with the education discount, but that's still insane for 0.4 GHz and some fancy lights in the keyboard. Can you say price gouging?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

Same here, I was told by several reps (after calling many times for confirmation) that the 2.0 MB had backlit keyboard. I bought it over the phone from the last rep that told me the MB did include the lighted keyboard. Well after the typo was corrected I contacted Apple and they gave me a $150 credit. Great service!

ohemetophobia

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008

Did you happen to get a name of that supervisor? Somebody find me THAT dude... I'll take a $150 credit for an option that's MAYBE worth $50, if that.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Same here, I was told by several reps (after calling many times for confirmation) that the 2.0 MB had backlit keyboard. I bought it over the phone from the last rep that told me the MB did include the lighted keyboard. Well after the typo was corrected I contacted Apple and they gave me a $150 credit. Great service!

This is what I'd hope for and expect. Apple goofed and they are making amends. Still it seems like this policy hasn't reached all of the customer service reps. Come on Apple, this stuff should be easy!

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
What a deal breaker. The backlit keyboards should be a minor options upgrade and not a $300 premium. I wonder if you can upgrade it yourself with an OEM add-on eventually.

gyumilly

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
What a deal breaker. The backlit keyboards should be a minor options upgrade and not a $300 premium. I wonder if you can upgrade it yourself with an OEM add-on eventually.

I don't know about the new MB, but I took apart the old MB and saw what's inside. Yes, it's possible, but I think any 3rd party will try to charge at least $100-150 for that part. With 2.4 MB option, you get CPU / Harddrive bump, and you don't have to worry about warranty.

I would definitely call apple again and talk to differnt people that it was clearly Apple's mistake and get a compensation!

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
I might... But $300 difference? I'm having a hard time justifying that. Comparing a 2.0 GHz MacBook (with a HD upgrade to 250 GB) and a 2.4 GHz MacBook, it's a $150 difference with the education discount, but that's still insane for 0.4 GHz and some fancy lights in the keyboard. Can you say price gouging?

How do you get $150 difference with the education discount?

With tax and education discount:

2.0 $1,356.73
2.4 $1,628.29

Thats more than $150 buddy...

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know about the new MB, but I took apart the old MB and saw what's inside. Yes, it's possible, but I think any 3rd party will try to charge at least $100-150 for that part. With 2.4 MB option, you get CPU / Harddrive bump, and you don't have to worry about warranty.

I would definitely call apple again and talk to differnt people that it was clearly Apple's mistake and get a compensation!

If it's possible in the old one, it's probable on the new one—being that it's more DIY friendly. Here's hoping.

BLACK MAC

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Yeah, I guess I learned my lesson too. In retrospect, I would have opted for the higher-end model WITH the backlit keyboard had I known my model wouldn't have it, contrary to what the specs said. Now, with $1400 tied up in a model that's shipping (hopefully soon), I guess I'd rather just deal with it and forget about it. Shipping it back to them and then getting the higher model would take WEEKS and I'm far too impatient for that.

Is it possible to return it to an Apple retail store instead, and just exchange it for the higher model (paying the difference, of course)?

You can return anything you purchased online from apple to a local apple store. However they won't refund you any money since they don't have access to credit card information. They will just issue you store credit and you can use it as you wish.

ohemetophobia

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
You can return anything you purchased online from apple to a local apple store. However they won't refund you any money since they don't have access to credit card information. They will just issue you store credit and you can use it as you wish.

That's all I'd want, if I were to return it. Less credit card mess is a good thing. :)

ohemetophobia

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
How do you get $150 difference with the education discount?

With tax and education discount:

2.0 $1,356.73
2.4 $1,628.29

Thats more than $150 buddy...

I said it was a $150 difference factoring in a 250 GB HD upgrade on the entry-level model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.