Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
Well apple this is just crap.. seriously hope it IS A BIG mistake on the website and that the 50 off is only for the "entry level" macbook. How can you exploit how much ground you have gained especially in the college setting just to rip them off in the mean time.. 100 bucks is always a 100 bucks and that goes a long way for anyone these days especially a college student.

Eluzion

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Looks like the Macbook Pro discount is only $100 now instead of $200 like it use to be. I'm guessing after a while the discounts will be like they use to be... at least I hope so.

airlights

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Henderson, NV
I am annoyed with this, as well, but there isn't really much I can do about it. Hopefully, maybe, the MacBook will have a price drop by time I have the money to buy one.

surfdog_2005

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2005
No mistake. I was disappointed as well and was starting to think I should have ordered last summer. Then they messed up on the backlit keyboard (my 2.0 showed a backlit keyboard on the confirmation) so they ended up crediting me and giving me my $100 discount anyways. :D

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
No mistake. I was disappointed as well and was starting to think I should have ordered last summer. Then they messed up on the backlit keyboard (my 2.0 showed a backlit keyboard on the confirmation) so they ended up crediting me and giving me my $100 discount anyways. :D

Very nice - I think you're one of the few.

theMaccer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
SoCal
It was $50 back when Apple first introduced Macbook 2 and half years ago. No surprises here to me.

surfdog_2005

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2005
It was $50 back when Apple first introduced Macbook 2 and half years ago. No surprises here to me.

If they dropped the price of the entry-level aluminum to under $1000 like many of the rumor sites predicted then I could live with the $50 education discount. But with these prices, I think it's ridiculous they also slashed the educational discount. Education makes up a big part of their sales.

LDB

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Houston area
The prices are too high and the educ disc is too low. If the prices were about $300 or more lower then a $50 ed disc would be ok but at top shelf prices they should have left the disc as it was.

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Remember, they do still offer the whitebook at $999 us not including Edu discount.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Wait for a refurbished model on the current machines or just go with raw 2.4 GHz on an old BlackBook. The RAM and hard drive are just as easy to upgrade. DDR2 RAM is dirt cheap too!

budkid

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
I was hoping to get the $100 student discount on the 2.0Ghz model. But they do give the $100 off on the 2.4Ghz model. O well...............

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Well apple this is just crap.. seriously hope it IS A BIG mistake on the website and that the 50 off is only for the "entry level" macbook. How can you exploit how much ground you have gained especially in the college setting just to rip them off in the mean time.. 100 bucks is always a 100 bucks and that goes a long way for anyone these days especially a college student.

i could either use an ed discount or my employee discount. the ed deal is still better. even though i saved more with my employee discount on the macbook itself, the ed discount on applecare is more. you end up saving 50 dollars more using the ed discount

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
i could either use an ed discount or my employee discount. the ed deal is still better. even though i saved more with my employee discount on the macbook itself, the ed discount on applecare is more. you end up saving 50 dollars more using the ed discount

You can buy the applecare separately you know!

mixmacface

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
in the 7th layer of hell.
after seeing the new macbook's design, i'm so glad i bought my mid-range white macbook when i did . . with my 100$ edu.discount. ah, i'd been so ticked off if i only got 50 dollars off. oh well. they can't please everybody.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008

why cant you buy the mac with employee discount. then later buy apple care with the edu discount

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's cheaper to buy the new MacBooks off of Amazon then using the education discount.

Great Apple! Why even have the discount now?

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I really did want to purchase a MacBook... but I'm shying away now since the Educational discount is only $50 now. I guess Apple doesn't realize that even a little amount like $50 DOES make a big difference (especially for college students).

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It upsets me as well. However, I have a rationalization; take a few minutes to look at the new process of creating the Macbook line and you can appreciate that initially they have to pay for the new manufacturing techniques. I am confident that the 10-15% will return by Summer 2009.

ohemetophobia

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I got $100 off when I bought my 2.0Ghz macbook in store today...

I've heard similar things from about half a dozen different people today, so for those turned off by the $50 discount instead of the $100 discount, I'd highly advise you to investigate at an Apple retail store first, if possible. I know the sales rep I had in the store today was pushing the new low-end MacBooks for a price of $1199 with the education discount, which would be a $100 discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.