Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
So in OS X, you can create a network with the airport so that other computers can get on it. Is this possible with the iPod Touch? Several applications have capabilities (such as multi-player) that you need a network for. It would be awesome if on a long car trip you could network to iPods and play. Is this possible?

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Yeah, that's a good question. It would be cool if iPhones and iPod Touches could talk to each other directly via wi-fi (or even Bluetooth), the same way other hand-held devices have used IR communication. Would be great for multi-player games and for sharing contact info, etc. Does anyone know what the SDK says about this, if anything?

Tankgunk

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2007
I know that you can have network multiplayer for an iPod touch/iPhone app, although it does take a significant hit on your battery. However, I'm almost positive that setting up your iPod so that others could connect to it as a wireless access point would definatly require a jailbreak. Having experience with linux, I can tell you now that it wouldn't take long to turn a jailbroken iPod into a wireless access point.

bryandugan

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
You could create an AD-HOC

You could set up an Ad-Hoc Network temporarily and have both devices join it. Ad-hoc is a great Computer-->Computer Network. The only thing is coding apps to run with eachother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.