PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Pro?

talentlesshack
Oct 15, 2008, 07:29 PM
When oh, when. January? What will it have? new video cards with display port, 6 core processors?

synth3tik
Oct 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
considering it was over a year until the second gen came out I think it is a good beat you'll be waiting a while.

wpc33
Oct 15, 2008, 09:37 PM
Nobody knows what Apple will do, but the general consensus, given the heaps of evidence, is January. Purely speculation, but reasoned and evidenced. No guarantees.

There are plenty of threads on this exact subject, already.

Umbongo
Oct 15, 2008, 10:13 PM
They should be shipping some time in the first quarter of 2009. It may be as early as January if there are no delays from Intel. They will be probably be using quad core processors between 2.66GHz and 3.2GHz, 12 memory slots, 4 hard drive bays and maybe a case redesign. As for graphics cards it will probably be a 4000 series Radeon on the low end (4650 maybe) and a higher end Nvidia and Quadro card, based on the assumption that there will be high end Radeon 4000 seies cards available anyway direct from AMD. DisplayPort will probably be there, but I think until we get near the launch of more displays and Mac Pros the real details surrounding display connectivity is anyones guess.

wheezy
Oct 15, 2008, 11:34 PM
... and maybe a case redesign.

I don't understand the big want for a case redesign. Now that I own one, it's the most beautiful case design ever. (I'm not a big case-geek though, I don't know what's out there)

It's cooling is top notch (not one fan over 800rpm), loads of space inside, it's organized and cable free, slick and sleek aluminum... Just because it's several years old doesn't make it bad or needing an upgrade like laptops need to.

All the case changes have happened on the inside where it counts; the exterior is awesome.

NRose8989
Oct 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
I don't understand the big want for a case redesign. Now that I own one, it's the most beautiful case design ever. (I'm not a big case-geek though, I don't know what's out there)

It's cooling is top notch (not one fan over 800rpm), loads of space inside, it's organized and cable free, slick and sleek aluminum... Just because it's several years old doesn't make it bad or needing an upgrade like laptops need to.

All the case changes have happened on the inside where it counts; the exterior is awesome.

Normally I would be all for a case re-design but judging from what apple released yesterday makes me scared of what they could do to the new Mac Pro.

You can say "oh Apple would never do that to the Mac Pro, It's for professionals!!!" but that's exactly what we were saying about the MBP a couple weeks ago when rumored pictures were starting to appear.

For once I'm actually scared of what Apple is going to release, I'm scared of being let down when they choose the consumer over the professional when making pro products.

viking396
Oct 16, 2008, 12:05 AM
When oh, when. January? What will it have? new video cards with display port, 6 core processors?

For selfish reasons like, I just bought one I hope they wait. I know curse me now and I'm sorry. But I do hope they start using video cards with display port so my monitor hook ups are easier. Heck any video card upgrade would be nice considering how Jobs likes to brag how upgradable these things are. :D

strikeinsilence
Oct 16, 2008, 12:49 AM
Normally I would be all for a case re-design but judging from what apple released yesterday makes me scared of what they could do to the new Mac Pro.

I agree, I'm thinking about getting a used late model MP even though it's growing old in the tooth. I love the current case, and I don't want to spend another $100 for an adaptor for my 30". Any MP I get will be way faster than what I have now.

nanofrog
Oct 16, 2008, 02:11 AM
I'd like to see some further improvements internally.

Increase the drive bays and necessary power connectors in particular. ;)

Increase lanes for PCIe slots (possible using 2nd Tylersburg/X58 chipset).

Dust filters for intake fans.

Further improvement in airflow.

strikeinsilence
Oct 16, 2008, 03:02 AM

How about liquid cooling? :eek: ;)

teleromeo
Oct 16, 2008, 03:13 AM
My guess is that there will be a redesign of the mac pro line and the displays to bring them in line with te current design of the notebooks and iMac. A speed bump is also obvious. I don't exectly know when intel introduces its new processors but I hope all this will be announced in januari around the time of Macworld.

zer0tails
Oct 16, 2008, 03:35 AM
I purchased my mac pro and cinema display this summer despite knowing that a re-design would be coming in the near future.

I just really love the industrial design on them, and i would place them as one of the top designs Apple has produced.

They're sorta timeless, and with the mac pro, it'll last me a good 5 years with upgrades and all. As for the ACD, well, I got myself a lovely 30" S-IPS panel.

As for what the re-design will look like, it's not hard to guess. The ACD will look like the current one. I'll note that the only thing i like about the new ACD is the isight. Everything else is ok.

As for the Mac Pro, get ready for some black being added to it since it'll have to match the ACD right? Heh :p

strikeinsilence
Oct 16, 2008, 04:23 AM
As for the Mac Pro, get ready for some black being added to it since it'll have to match the ACD right? Heh :p

Yuck! I'm gonna start scouring ebay for deals on the current MP. What are the specs on yours? I need more power for audio recording!

pwn247
Oct 16, 2008, 07:21 AM
I think we'll see a Mac Pro revision in January. I mean, this year they did it in January- so it'll probably be the same then. Also, the MacBook Pro is supposed to be updated within the next few months- so I expect to see the Mac Pro line updated at the same time (being another Pro product and all).

And 6-Core? I doubt it. Apple's going to stick with the dual quads for a while. I doubt they'll make anything less than an 8-core MP from now on. One thing that I would like to see updated is the case of the MP. With the new ACD's and MacBooks, it would seem fit for them to update the Mac Pro case. But I don't want them to ruin the "cheese-grater" look. :D

strikeinsilence
Oct 16, 2008, 10:17 AM
Also, the MacBook Pro is supposed to be updated within the next few months- so I expect to see the Mac Pro line updated at the same time (being another Pro product and all).

Huh? Was the MBP not just updated 2 days ago?

wheezy
Oct 16, 2008, 11:38 AM

Further? Like what? No walls, maybe just a floating system that uses the Earth's magnets to stay in form? I think it has remarkable airflow.

Zyniker
Oct 16, 2008, 12:14 PM

So people can find new and more interesting ways to destroy their computers? I don't particularly think Apple wants to jump into that maintenance and support nightmare...

Tallest Skil
Oct 16, 2008, 03:19 PM
So people can find new and more interesting ways to destroy their computers? I don't particularly think Apple wants to jump into that maintenance and support nightmare...

They already have. The last revision PowerMac G5. I'm surprised no one had mentioned this, but when so many of the liquid cooling systems failed, Apple just gave the owners Mac Pros as replacements.

nanofrog
Oct 16, 2008, 03:48 PM
Nah. I don't care to deal with leaks, so I didn't mention it. ;) :p See Tallest Skil's post. :)
Cost and reliability are also factors.
Further? Like what? No walls, maybe just a floating system that uses the Earth's magnets to stay in form? I think it has remarkable airflow.
I meant in terms of repositioning fans, baffles, and possibly component locations for better airflow.
They already have. The last revision PowerMac G5. I'm surprised no one had mentioned this, but when so many of the liquid cooling systems failed, Apple just gave the owners Mac Pros as replacements.
That was a mess. :p

wheezy
Oct 16, 2008, 04:08 PM
I meant in terms of repositioning fans, baffles, and possibly component locations for better airflow.

Ahh, okay :) That make sense I suppose. Although it's been 2 weeks only, mine's never had the fans speed up at all, so for me the airflow is great. But, if there's room for improvement, then by all means!

I am pretty surprised at how fast dust has built up though...

nanofrog
Oct 16, 2008, 04:34 PM
Ahh, okay :) That make sense I suppose. Although it's been 2 weeks only, mine's never had the fans speed up at all, so for me the airflow is great. But, if there's room for improvement, then by all means!
;)
I am pretty surprised at how fast dust has built up though...
Exactly. :) This is why I'd like to see dust filters in the next one. :D