PDA

View Full Version : The Most Beautiful Periodic Table Displays in the World

iGav
Jan 30, 2004, 10:12 AM
so much cooler than the old worn n' torn type at school!

http://www.element-collection.com/html/installations.html

Mr. Anderson
Jan 30, 2004, 10:26 AM
That's great stuff - my favorite have to be the radioactive ones

Radiation symbol.
This unavailable element is represented by a radiation hazard symbol. If we had a visible quantity on display here, you would be dead.

D :D

wdlove
Jan 30, 2004, 12:17 PM
It's about time that the Periodic Table moves into the 21st Century. The appearance is clear an crisp. Much needed information. The cost might be a little prohibitive for broad based use.

coopdog
Jan 30, 2004, 03:46 PM
I wish they didn't have so many empty radioactive spots. Couldn't they have just used lead glass and a lead box?

tpjunkie
Jan 30, 2004, 03:55 PM
yeah, while a few elements like At just dont exist in visible quantities (i think something like a gram exists at any one given moment on the entire planet), some others do and could be shown....like Am, i've seen that before, its like crusty brownish looking

themadchemist
Jan 30, 2004, 05:26 PM
They look great, but it might be more useful if periodic tables were sold that had more critical information about atoms, like electron affinity, electronegativity, and effective nuclear charge.

bannedagain
Jan 30, 2004, 11:25 PM
As a mining student and one who has always been intrested in chemisty, this styrikes me as rather amazing. I have always wanted a colection of all the elements. Now I can have one, shame about the prce though.

MrMacMan
Jan 31, 2004, 01:21 AM
Intresting...

Einsteinium in a visible amount... acually makes a Real Picture of Einstein
http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTableDisplay/Tiles/099/s12.JPG

BRILLIANT!

themadchemist
Jan 31, 2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by bannedagain
As a mining student and one who has always been intrested in chemisty, this styrikes me as rather amazing. I have always wanted a colection of all the elements. Now I can have one, shame about the prce though.

On a somewhat scaled down version (say, half-sized) I bet this would be "more affordable" (say, $20k). That's still ridiculously expensive, but if I have money to throw around when I'm out there working, then this is something I could see myself putting in a room in my house.

Ah yes, I'm already finding ways to get a wife I haven't even met yet to divorce me in the future...:D

KC9AIC
Jan 31, 2004, 08:02 AM
Great! Seeing as I'm in Chemistry, this will be perfect to take to the next test! So pocket-sized and inexpensive, too!

jefhatfield
Feb 1, 2004, 10:46 PM
wouldn't some of those elements be extremely dangerous?

if i made one, i would make sure i would have very small amounts of the expensive stuff so no one would feel compelled to break the display to steal it:p

jrv3034
Feb 1, 2004, 10:56 PM
That's really cool. It's great to see something like this; well thought out, artistic, and smart. It's the kind of thing that makes us wonder about life, the Universe, and everything.

Good stuff.;)

crenz
Feb 2, 2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Intresting...

Einsteinium in a visible amount... acually makes a Real Picture of Einstein

Actually they said they put a picture of Einstein instead, since they can't put a visible amount of Einsteinium.

themadchemist
Feb 2, 2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by crenz
Actually they said they put a picture of Einstein instead, since they can't put a visible amount of Einsteinium.

I think he was kidding...

cleo
Feb 5, 2004, 12:19 PM
That's cool and everything, but in reality, this chart (http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/www/Info/condiments.html) is really much more practical, especially for those of us in grad school. :D

szark
Feb 5, 2004, 12:26 PM
Yes! Cleo, that chart is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

:)