Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

openflap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
With a new apple product there is bound to be a defect or annoying thing or two.

For example my imac fades on the bottom...and only realized it after I got home and setup the computer.

I just got the new macbook and wanted to see what peoples experiences were before I opened it or if other people are deciding on getting their hands on a new macbook....

So far im happy but its still in its box!

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
I just got the new macbook and wanted to see what peoples experiences were before I opened it or if other people are deciding on getting their hands on a new macbook....

So far im happy but its still in its box!

Sheesh. Just open the thing and enjoy your new purchase. Are you going to return it unopened if someone else has a problem with their macbook?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Sheesh. Just open the thing and enjoy your new purchase. Are you going to return it unopened if someone else has a problem with their macbook?

i boght min and opned it but i closd my eys while opning it. i dont wnat to open thm and see a defct.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think assuming you'll have a defect is a very good reason not to buy one now. I mean, if you're going to sit around and think it's going to have something wrong with it and never open the box then you may as well toss your cash down the drain.
Open it, enjoy it.

Sangmort

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Some of us are sitting here without even a box to drool over...and you have one and you're not using it?

lol Come on, even if there's a defect I'm sure you'll notice it ASAP & Apple will take care of you. :)

Enjoy it.~

esvienne

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
When I brought mine home there was an extra layer of tape over the original tape holding the box lid shut. When I peeled it off the second original tape was sliced open... after further inspection I found a few chips in my aluminum so I brought it back to the store and exchanged it. They said it was obviously open too and were actually reaaaaaaally nice and quick about exchanging it without charging me a restocking fee :) I give kudos to florida mall for that :)

other than that, it's perfect and the new one has no defects at all

Sangmort

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
When I brought mine home there was an extra layer of tape over the original tape holding the box lid shut. When I peeled it off the second original tape was sliced open... after further inspection I found a few chips in my aluminum so I brought it back to the store and exchanged it. They said it was obviously open too and were actually reaaaaaaally nice and quick about exchanging it without charging me a restocking fee :) I give kudos to florida mall for that :)

other than that, it's perfect and the new one has no defects at all

Really? I've found the Millenia Apple store Employees to be nicer than the Florida Mall Apple Store Employees! I'll be heading to the Florida Mall one to check them out tomorrow. [ MUCH closer ] Was it busy?~

hengyu408

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
san Jose, CA
My logic board was mounted crooked or something because all the I/O ports were off center. There was also a huge grease mark on the glass screen. I took it back to the apple store and they exchanged it.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
By all means, some complaints are warranted. But I can't wait to see what kind of anal-retentiveness will be displayed in this thread!

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
My logic board was mounted crooked or something because all the I/O ports were off center. There was also a huge grease mark on the glass screen. I took it back to the apple store and they exchanged it.

I've noticed crooked I/O ports in various unboxing photos. It seems like the ethernet port is the most noticeable I'll try to find some pics.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I have 2 dead pixels. I will probably return because ive never had dead pixels on any laptopn that ive owned before.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Mine had a small brown stain on the right hand side of the wrist pad thing and it was brand new and boxed and I just ended up scratching it trying to get rid of it so now it's scratched and has a brown stain lol

esvienne

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008

Really? I've found the Millenia Apple store Employees to be nicer than the Florida Mall Apple Store Employees! I'll be heading to the Florida Mall one to check them out tomorrow. [ MUCH closer ] Was it busy?~

no it wasn't busy at all. I'm about 30 minutes from each mall but florida mall had said they had them in :) I bet you probably already went to get your laptop though I'm a tad bit late in replying lol

msett

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
I love my macbook but have the slanted function keys. I am hearing a lot of them do including the display models at various apple stores. So I am thinking if I take it back, I will just get another one with slanted keys.

Sangmort

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
no it wasn't busy at all. I'm about 30 minutes from each mall but florida mall had said they had them in :) I bet you probably already went to get your laptop though I'm a tad bit late in replying lol

I went & got to play with the shiny new toys! :D

Didn't pick one up though, waiting til my Best Buy gets them as my employee discount's better than the student discount ;)

I wish my store would get them in already! ~

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
I love my macbook but have the slanted function keys. I am hearing a lot of them do including the display models at various apple stores. So I am thinking if I take it back, I will just get another one with slanted keys.

I'm with you, son. I'm gonna hold on to mine, I don't have good luck with taking something back over a nitpicky problem. Almost always end up with something worse on the next one.

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA

Didn't pick one up though, waiting til my Best Buy gets them as my employee discount's better than the student discount ;) ~

Except at Best Buy you don't get any employee discount off Apple Products;)

At least up until last year when I worked there. Correct me if I am wrong but iPod's, Notebooks, and all the actual "hardware" you could not get a discount on, just a hefty discount off all the accessories. I once heard that Best Buy receives the products from Apple at "retail" price (ie. $1299 for the new MB). Which begs the question, why would Best Buy even carry the products? Due to the large discount that they receive from the Accessories because as a manager once told me "You only need 1 iPod, but your going to need more than 1 thing for it"

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I got mine replaced for the dead pixels and my new one has a half inch dent next to the caps lock key. Sometimes you have no luck at all :)

Sangmort

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Except at Best Buy you don't get any employee discount off Apple Products;)

At least up until last year when I worked there. Correct me if I am wrong but iPod's, Notebooks, and all the actual "hardware" you could not get a discount on, just a hefty discount off all the accessories. I once heard that Best Buy receives the products from Apple at "retail" price (ie. $1299 for the new MB). Which begs the question, why would Best Buy even carry the products? Due to the large discount that they receive from the Accessories because as a manager once told me "You only need 1 iPod, but your going to need more than 1 thing for it"

Actually We get $154 off the $1600 Macbook but the $999 remained at $999 for some reason :\ [ if we go through accommodations it's the same as the student discount ]

You are right on the iPods though. If we go through accommodations [ buying straight from apple, through BBY ] it's about $20 off, but nothing off in-store. :)

I also like our protection plan better than Apple Care, since it also covers accidental damage. [ though it is more expensive as well ]~

mathieuheartmac

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
I think if you spend $1200, or $1500 on a notebook, you should be nit picky.
I'm not sure how long it takes for some of the common little defects or issues that happen with new machines to be addressed or fixed...but I hope by the time I get mine in December most of that has been addressed.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
I think if you spend $1200, or $1500 on a notebook, you should be nit picky.
I'm not sure how long it takes for some of the common little defects or issues that happen with new machines to be addressed or fixed...but I hope by the time I get mine in December most of that has been addressed.

The point is: if you take it back over something relatively insignificant, you might put yourself into a cycle where either a) you get a worse problem than before (this happened to me with a blackberry); or b) you find yourself returning 3-4 machines because of tiny problems.

While this may be worth it to some, its not to me. I have no dead pixels, no dents or scratches out of the box, no wobbly case...I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of reloading 120 GB of stuff again all for one small issue that doesn't affect usability in the least.

To each his/her own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.