Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaengus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Hey,

So I purchased my Macbook 1,1 two years ago. Recently (past several months) I have been having a difficulty writing because randomly it will highlight a totally different part of my document, and if I am not quick catching it will delete some segment and replace it with whatever I was typing (I type fairly fast so normally I need to undo and reselect the part of the document I was trying to edit).

I had no idea what was happening until recently I discovered that it would select wherever my cursor was on the page (I tested this by moving my cursor outside the pages window and sure enough it would go to finder). *this happened about 15 times while typing this query*

I am not touching the track pad, or even going near it. Yet my computer is somehow under the impression I clicked.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? It really is a bother and significantly slows down my writing.

Thanks,

--Aengus

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
This has been a problem for some of us Air users. In the old MacBook there was a trackpad setting that you could click that said something like, "ignore inadvertent clicks". That is not an option on the Air... Can someone check to see if it is in the new MacBook. This issue is frustrating in the Air and still happens to me regularly. I have gotten better at ensuring that the base of my hand doesnt barely just skim the surface of the trackpad.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Hey,

So I purchased my Macbook 1,1 two years ago. Recently (past several months) I have been having a difficulty writing because randomly it will highlight a totally different part of my document, and if I am not quick catching it will delete some segment and replace it with whatever I was typing (I type fairly fast so normally I need to undo and reselect the part of the document I was trying to edit).

I had no idea what was happening until recently I discovered that it would select wherever my cursor was on the page (I tested this by moving my cursor outside the pages window and sure enough it would go to finder). *this happened about 15 times while typing this query*

I am not touching the track pad, or even going near it. Yet my computer is somehow under the impression I clicked.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? It really is a bother and significantly slows down my writing.

Thanks,

--Aengus

Sounds like a dirty button that thinks its being clicked and may need a good clean. I have no idea how to do this but you might try Google or if you're not that brave then take it into a repair center to clean.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Sounds like a dirty button that thinks its being clicked and may need a good clean. I have no idea how to do this but you might try Google or if you're not that brave then take it into a repair center to clean.

I don't think so... i know exactly what he is talking about. The new trackpads are large and it is easy to hit with your hand or the base of your thumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.