Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Can somebody who has a good knowledge of processors and what not tell me if I should wait till Nehalem comes to the macbook, guessing it will come late spring or beginning of summer or should I just go ahead and buy it. I'm a bio major and don't don't understand much about technical processor stuff and the advantages. Please let me know whats the difference between the two processors and how much more performance am I looking at.

Thanks guys for helping out..

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
i'm a bio major too and am positive you'll do fine with apple's current offerings.

Yeah I know, its not like I'm gonna be doing more than just basic stuff. But I read somewhere that Nehalem gonna come out the second quarter of 2009 and they have a dramatic performance over the core 2..may be less heat and better performance? but by how much if its like 10-15% I dont care..

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah I know, its not like I'm gonna be doing more than just basic stuff. But I read somewhere that Nehalem gonna come out the second quarter of 2009 and they have a dramatic performance over the core 2..may be less heat and better performance? but by how much if its like 10-15% I dont care..
There's actually a heat gain due to the onboard memory controller but those are on launch components. Hopefully it'll be at a 35W TDP for mobile still.

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
There's actually a heat gain due to the onboard memory controller but those are on launch components. Hopefully it'll be at a 35W TDP for mobile still.

Seems like you know your processors..can you tell me how much more performance can I expect from Nehalem? is is worth waiting? is it a big deal?

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I've heard that mobile Nehalem isn't until very early 2010. Is that true? :confused:

I did a little search on google..they say it comes out second quarter of 2009. So I guess it would be available for macbook late spring or early summer...

Sangmort

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
I did a little search on google..they say it comes out second quarter of 2009. So I guess it would be available for macbook late spring or early summer...

I'd say more like Late Summer or Fall. Apple tends to be a tad bit slow about incorporating new processors into their computers.

But I could be wrong. :)

In all honesty, if you need it now, buy it. If you don't need it, then wait. [ but it will be a long wait. ]

---

This thread is reminding me of all the "Should I wait for Penryn?" & "Should I wait for Montevina?" Threads from before. It's cyclical!

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008

That's for desktops. Mobile is Q4 2009/Q1 2010. You'll be waiting at least 6-7 months, probably longer given Apple's update cycles.

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
here we go again :/

dude I believe the macbook is the best laptop available in the market for me, but before I hand in the $1600 just want to make sure i'm not gonna miss out on something dramatic for a 6 months wait...

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
dude I believe the macbook is the best laptop available in the market for me, but before I hand in the $1600 just want to make sure i'm not gonna miss out on something dramatic for a 6 months wait...

Dude, buy now. It's the latest and greatest. By the time you'd be able to buy a Nehalem, they're already talking about another new one around the corner. It's an endless loop. There'll always be talk of a better one down the road and that's the way it's always been. If you need one now, now's the best time.

Joshua.

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Dude, buy now. It's the latest and greatest. By the time you'd be able to buy a Nehalem, they're already talking about another new one around the corner. It's an endless loop. There'll always be talk of a better one down the road and that's the way it's always been. If you need one now, now's the best time.

Joshua.

Thanx..u are right... I'm gonna buy it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
good grief. the computer came out 2 days ago. maybe you should just wait for the MacBrain Pro implant in late 2042.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Nehalem IS going to be a major jump, not like the advances today, the only planned processor after nehalem is sandy bridge, but it will be YEARS rather than months before that comes out nehalem is to core2 what core2 was to pentium when core2 came YEARS until nehalem...it was the thing to get for a couple of years, same with nehalem, itll be the new chip for a few years, definitely worth waiting for if you dont need a new notebook now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.