Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
For all my fellow Incu-heads out there (are there any here on Mac Rumors?), the new Incubus album "A Crow Left of the Murder" is being streamed from MTV.com. Here's the link!

http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/incubus/a_crow_left_of_the_murder/index.jhtml

I am restraining myself from listening to the entire album until I own it on CD (it comes out February 3rd, 2004). So far, I've heard the tracks "Megalomaniac" and "Pistola", both are great, great songs. I encourage all to check it out! And, if you're so inclined, post comments here.

Are there any Incubus fans here? Can I get an Amen?!?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i dont like the album. it got leaked on irc about 2 weeks ago. megalomaniac is pretty good as well as a crow left for murder, but that was about it. i like the older albums better. a friend told me one of the main members left, which may have a affect on why i didn't like it as much.

iJon

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Ive been an incubus fan before they were popular... when the science album came out i jumped on it. Ive enjoyed their music since. I now get the incubus sound if one can get it at all. Its about constantly changing. Its about not rehashing the same old sh*t but keeping the ambience. If you notice every new album has a different sound compared to the one before. "Science" sounds totally different then "Enjoy Incubus" or "Fungus Amongus", "Make Yourself" sounds completely different then "Science", "Morning View" likewise sounds completely different then "Make Yourself" and now "A Crow Left of the Murder" sounds different then "Morning View". This is Incubus get used to it. I heard of a petition going around that is asking for Incubus to go back to their "Science" sound... which i thought was interesting and hilarious. In my opinion "Science" is their best album but one of the things I respect Incubus for is their constant progression in sound. I pre ordered the new album... having only heard "Megalomaniac" when it first aired publicly on Krock... and now have seen the video for it which is awsome. Im sure I will find something very uniquely pleasing in their new album as I did with the rest of their albums and conversely I am sure I will find some personal negatives. Im sure one personal negative will be the fact that dj kilmore isnt being utilized as much on the new album as he used to be and of course the bass player aspect. Their old bass player (dirk) added so much progressiveness to their sound being trained in jazz. Now Im afraid they settled with a run of the mill bass player which is Ben Kenney from the Roots ( ive never heard the guy go off just basically keep the deep end)... but I cant be sure unless I hear the guy go off if you know what I mean and it doesn't seem like he does that on the new album. Whatever the case... im glad Incubus is still rockin it and I hope they continue it for years to come. They are one of the most important and compelling contemporary rock bands today.

staying around till 2012 AD.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I'm all for a new sound with each release, but this album is boring. I actually missed it as it played, because it made perfect background music (ie, it never caught my attention). The mix is uninventive and unimaginative, as well as the songs in general. Even when I decided Morning View was a sellout album I could still get into how unique their sound was. With this disc they sound like everything else. First time Incubus has made an album that left me so under-wowed.

Dan

edit: S.C.I.E.N.C.E. really showed a creative peak... their work hasn't been nearly as exploratory since. this is going to sound a little messed up, but I think they need to take more drugs (kidding - but not kidding). seriously, though... anyone else notice how sterile musicians become when they stop doing drugs? scott weilend (sp?), for example, just wasn't much fun to listen to when he wasn't hooked on heroin. i'm not saying drugs make them good musicians, just that if they were on drugs when i was attracted to their style you can bet i probably won't be very impressed with where they go when they sober up. sigh

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by alset
I'm all for a new sound with each release, but this album is boring. I actually missed it as it played, because it made perfect background music (ie, it never caught my attention). The mix is uninventive and unimaginative, as well as the songs in general.

Geez, did you have earplugs on?!?:( :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

Try going to a site like http://www.incubusonline.com and going into their lyrics page. Just look at how poetic that band has gotten over the past few albums..... they're getting more interesting to listen to as time passes.

I know that everything I say here is subjective, and is up to the listener's personal opinion, but to say Incubus is 'background music' and that they are 'uninventive' is completely ludicrous (sp?)!!!!!

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by alset
Even when I decided Morning View was a sellout album I could still get into how unique their sound was. With this disc they sound like everything else. First time Incubus has made an album that left me so under-wowed.

wow, how was Morning View a sellout album? i hate when people say that about bands. you can say that about Sugar Ray because they've kept their "soft" sound BECAUSE it sells... that's a sellout band (i love their first two albums though). Morning View was a natural progression from Make Yourself but constantly changing is what the band is all about. how is that being a sellout?

i got the album of irc as well, i dont like it as much as their first or morning view, it just doesnt excite me as their previous ones did. there are one or two tracks that are pretty okay, but the rest are in my opinion filler. i mean they arent bad, they just arent wow.

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
after listening to it i would agree that it's not my favorite incubus album but i do think that it's still a good album. i'm glad i paid my $9.99 for it. it still has plenty of time to grow on me though, i've only listened to it 1 1/2 times. i can't wait till the tour, i'd love to see them live again!

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well, I bought the "limited edition" album on February 3rd (it comes with a fancy case and DVD).

I think their new album is great. Not 'awesome' like Morning View, but very, very, very good. The song "A Crow Left of the Murder" is one of Incubus's best (along with Wish You Were Here, Drive, Just A Phase, and Redefine).

The album is lacking this little tiny something, I can't really put my finger on it, but I think it is because 1) their old bassist Dirk Lance aka Alex Katunich is no longer with the band and 2) they made the album in 4 weeks. Morning View took something like 3 months.

I would reccommend to any Incubus fan or wanna-be fan to buy the album. It's not quite a Morning View, but it's better than all the rest in my opinion.

I say let Incubus get used to having a new bassist and band member (Ben Kenney). Their next album should be heads and tails better than A Crow Left of the Murder. They'll be used to the new dynamic of a new person in the band.

I give this album (ACLOTM) 9 out of 10 stars.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
cheesy (aka ripping off old poetry and clichéd lyrics/statements) lyrics. bad sound (lo-fi britich invasion and punk???). this album sucks. bad.

morning view was a girly album (chicks dig brenden).

every other album kicks major ass. too bad their "in" with the record companies now.

why does every album with lyrics after 9/11 have to jump on the "america" bandwagon??? **** that ****.

incubus is now officially lame. im glad i saw them tour before they we're mega-stars. are they still hanging out at the Playboy mansion with freddy durst? what a bunch of dorks.

peace.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by neut
cheesy (aka ripping off old poetry and clichéd lyrics/statements) lyrics. bad sound (lo-fi britich invasion and punk???). this album sucks. bad.

morning view was a girly album (chicks dig brenden).

every other album kicks major ass. too bad their "in" with the record companies now.

why does every album with lyrics after 9/11 have to jump on the "america" bandwagon??? **** that ****.

incubus is now officially lame. im glad i saw them tour before they we're mega-stars. are they still hanging out at the Playboy mansion with freddy durst? what a bunch of dorks.

peace.

Well, thank God you're a minority :rolleyes:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
new sugarcult cd that comes out in april got leaked too, and it rocks.

iJon

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
The only 3 Incubus CDs I own are

S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
Make Yourself
Morning View

I have to say that for some reason S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is my favorite, mostly because it's a bit harder than the others, but they're all great.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by sethypoo
Well, thank God you're a minority :rolleyes:

???

was that a comment on my skin color? ;)

**** incubus. they let me down. guess i shouldn't have had expectations for them.

peace.

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
i've been going back and listening to all the Incubus albums i own (S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Make Yourself, Morning View, and A Crow Left Of The Murder) and they are all so different that i can't believe people are judging a band that has a different sound on every album! if you don't like their latest then wait for the next cause you know it's going to be different than everything they've done so far!

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
people tend to get very defensive when they fear the truth.

Incubus's logical progression is nu-rock/pop. trust me, i won't buy another Incubus album.

peace.

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
ok, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was definately nu-rock. Make Yourself was a lighter on the nu-rock and more rock. Morning View was more rock but had a little pop in there on some tracks. but with A Crow Left of the Murder they went back towards the direction of rock/? something else, but not pop. the new album has a little more raw sound to it. they've always had the rock and mixed it with other things. if you've listened to the new album how can you say that it's pop? i think the problem is that people who liked S.C.I.E.N.C.E. don't get their newer stuff cause truth be told it's not as "hard" sounding, but that doesn't mean that it's all light and fluffy either. there's little light and fluffyness on the new album which was glad to see cause it proved that they're not going to try to rehash Morning View just because it sold well. they made Morning View because that's how they felt at the time. Now they feel this way, and that fine by me. the fact that they sound different on every album proves that they're in this buisiness because they love it. have they alienated listeners with each new album? neut, you're proof. but listening to the new album i can not understand how they have "gone soft" or "sold out" as people have labeled them now. </rant>

sorry, i guess i just don't see your point of view.

P.S. also sorry about going off.

<another rant>
take KoRn albums for example:

1st album - hard core nu-metal
2nd album - nu-metal, just a little softer than the 1st
3rd album - nu-metal/pop hybrid
4th album - nu-metal - kind of got rid of most of the pop
5th album - nu-metal - harder than 4th
6th album - hard core nu-metal again

ok, not sure what i was trying to prove with that... just that if bands sound the same all the time then they become really boring. </another rant>

sorry, it's been a long week.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
???

was that a comment on my skin color? ;)

**** incubus. they let me down. guess i shouldn't have had expectations for them.

peace.

I was refering to your statement "**** Incubus". I wasn't referring to your skin color, just the fact that a "minor amount" of people this Incubus is ****.

Not too many people share your belief, thankfully.:rolleyes:

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Not too many people share your belief, thankfully.:rolleyes:

... because you can't truly like a band unless the majority is into them too.

nu-rock is pop. incubus can do what they want. i would have left the band too.

i need to finish my album.

peace.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
... because you can't truly like a band unless the majority is into them too.

nu-rock is pop. incubus can do what they want. i would have left the band too.

i need to finish my album.

peace.

?????
Dude, everything could be considered "pop" as long as more than one person listens to it.

Sure maybe Incubus is pop, maybe they aren't, but sure as heck don't suck.

Do you have a clue?

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
?????
Dude, everything could be considered "pop" as long as more than one person listens to it.

Sure maybe Incubus is pop, maybe they aren't, but sure as heck don't suck.

Do you have a clue?

incubus doesn't suck; their new album does though (granted i'd rather hear their new single than the other crap on the radio).

i don't think you realize where i am coming from. i listen a lot of music (IDM to tribal <actual primitive music – not the techno genre> and everything else in between). personally i think incubus's latest effort didn't require much effort at all. an easy album to fulfill a contract (but not their soul, nor mine). their early stuff gave me the spine shivers; the latest stuff makes me feel like a consumer.

i didn't stick my hand up your ass so don't take out your insecurities on me.

peace.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
incubus doesn't suck; their new album does though (granted i'd rather hear their new single than the other crap on the radio).

i don't think you realize where i am coming from.

i didn't stick my hand up your ass so don't take out your insecurities on me.

peace.

Hmm, you said, and I quote "incubus is now officially lame". Sounds like "sucks" to me.

I'm not insecure about anything, neut. I just stand up for my favorite band.

I'm happy to see you at least appreciate their older stuff. I really like Fungus Amoungus and Make Yourself, and I did like a few songs from S.C.I.E.N.C.E., even though that album (Science) is very simple. Loud, yes, but don't mistake "loud and fast" for "deep and meaningful".:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.