Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CandyShop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
So I thought I would be uber-pissed about these announcements, but surprisingly, I'm not. I bought a Blackbook in the summer for college and to get a free iPod touch (I gave it away because I have an iPhone), but I knew this update would be on its way sooner or later. The updates basically addressed everything I wished my MacBook had when I bought it (Multi-Touch and better graphics) but I really don't care that college forced me to buy before the upgrade. I like the new MacBooks, but I'm not disappointed that I don't have one. Why? Because of the aluminum body. Strange as it seems, the aluminum look now seems very generic to me. I chose the black MacBook because it stands out, and has a lot of character. I love the way the Apple logo "pops" in contrast with the black case. I felt that it really "fit" me and my style. Now, almost all of Apple's designs are similar across the board. Some sort of silver apple laptop has been in production since 2001 in one form or another, and frankly, I'm tired of the design. I think the aluminum is very classy and nice looking, but it doesn't stand out. The last black notebook from apple before the BlackBook was the Pismo PB, and I love my Blackbook for the uniqueness of it and because it is reminiscent of the much-loved Pismo. Aluminum seem so impersonal, cold, and uniform. To me the cold, metallic nature of aluminum vs the warm feel of plastic of the blackboook makes my computer seem more personable and inviting. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to knock any purchasers of the aluminum MacBook and I admire all the new technology in the new notebooks. I'm just saying, for me, the Blackbook was the way to go, and I surprisingly have no regrets about purchasing it so close to the upgrades, which is usually not the case with me. I think my contentment with my purchase in light of the upgrade is a testament to the quality of Apple's industrial design, past and present.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.