Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I have been reading the threads about how to get windows on a mac. My new MacBook pro is going to take a while to get here so I just wanted to check that my plan is the best one.

1) install vista using bootcamp
2) install ntfs for mac osx to access my windows drive from
Osx
3) install macdrive 7 to access my osx partition from windows
4) use ipartition to create between 1 and 3 extra partitions for general storage and backup
5) use parallels or vmware to run Linux as triple booting seems dodgy

If any of this either doesn't work perfectly or if there is a better way to do it please let me know :)

powz

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Hi, I can't speak to everything you've asked about, but I will answer what I can:

1. IMO, XP works a lot better than Vista, especially if you're planning to run your Boot Camp partition sometimes as a VM in OS X (boots faster, less resource intensive, longer battery life...from my experience with the previous gen MBP)

2 & 3. Yes, NTFS and Macdrive combo should work fine. That's what I use and I haven't had any major problems yet. The only minor inconvenience you may notice is that after accessing your Windows partition from OS X, you'll notice the .DS_store, etc. files when you log into Windows. I think there are programs to avoid this, but I haven't tried them (e.g. Blue Harvest). Not really a deal breaker, just a nuisance sometimes.

I have no experience with Linux or iPartition, so I'll leave that for others to discuss.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.