PDA

View Full Version : "Scissor Sisters" have crucified Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb

edesignuk
Jan 30, 2004, 01:43 PM
Do a search for Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb and marvel at how much these w*nkers from NY (bloody yanks, who do you think you are? ;) :p) have destroyed a classic. And the worst thing is, on CD:UK the other weak Cat (http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif) said something along the lines of; "Their very presence in the music industry will change everything". WTF are these people thinking??????

:mad:

If you say you like it I will hunt you down, and force you to listen to the ketchup song on an eternal loop! :eek:

WinterMute
Jan 30, 2004, 02:33 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!

b*stards

They deserve to be reviled through the ages for such a travesty.

I watched Dave Gilmore stand on that 50 foot wall in Earls Court with a billion candle-power spotlight behind him playing the solo to Comfortably Numb... makes my hair stand on end just thinking about it, one of the best memories of my younger days...:D

Tequila Grandma
Jan 30, 2004, 02:40 PM
Worng you all are! :p

The Scissor Sisters rock my world. Their hilarious, kitschy, uber-faggy dance music is some of the most fun music being produced today. I liked to listen to Pink Floyd when I was about 12, but since discovering much better, far more fun bands, I haven't had a huge desire to listen to them. The original cut of the "Comfortably Numb" cover appeared as a B-side on Scissor Sisters' first single, "Electrobix", issued early last year by the dance label A Touch of Class (who are also responsible for the great electro group Waldorf, and the most hilariously bad group ever, The Ones). I think Scissor Sisters are a great halfway point between legitimately good dance music and hilarious super-bad pop music. I liken them to the also delightful Junior Senior, except "Scissor Sisters" are even better :p

Still my favorite thing of theirs thus far is the "Hungry Wives Passive Depressive Mix" of the hilariously faggy "Electrobix": http://www.atouchofclassusa.com/atoc8/a8a.html

...and I can't wait for their full-length to finally be released in... less than a week! :D

edesignuk
Jan 30, 2004, 02:44 PM
Right, that's it! I'd sleep with one eye open if I were you Tequila Grandma, I'm on my way to your house with the ketchup song!!!!!!! damn, actually, you might even like that crap...oh well, I'll think of something ;)

WinterMute - Good man, at least you know what you're talking about :)

kettle
Jan 30, 2004, 03:41 PM
Damn funny on telly!

10/10 for effort and trying to make it sound unusual.

and then it sank in.

0/10 for everything else and they'd better hope that they don't get linched when they go out in public. They will pay for not thinking something up for themselves and at the same time pissing on a lovely lovely song.:mad:

edesignuk
Jan 30, 2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by kettle
0/10 for everything else and they'd better hope that they don't get linched when they go out in public.
They may have to hope they don't, but I hope they get a severe beating! :eek:

kettle
Jan 30, 2004, 04:38 PM
Was I hearing things or did they kind of mix Comfortably Numb with Run Like Hell? It was the Dave Gilmour chuggy echo going on in the background?:confused:

WinterMute
Jan 31, 2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Right, that's it! I'd sleep with one eye open if I were you Tequila Grandma, I'm on my way to your house with the ketchup song!!!!!!! damn, actually, you might even like that crap...oh well, I'll think of something ;)

WinterMute - Good man, at least you know what you're talking about :)

I'm proud to say "I was there"...:D

I'll meet you round Tequila Grandma's house, we can play "Grandma we love you" through a big PA till the windows shatter:p ;)

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by WinterMute
I'm proud to say "I was there"...:D
I saw them at Earls Court the night the seats collapsed :eek:, right beneath us. We all had to go home before it even started (duh!). But it didn't matter, when we came back it was well worth it, amazing show.

Sasha3
Feb 14, 2004, 11:36 AM
...that's "mod-a-go-go stretch elastic pants", dear.
and who knows "there will come a time when you can even take your clothes off when you dance."

Opteron
Feb 14, 2004, 06:51 PM
This is a dark dark day for the music industary:(

whocares
Feb 14, 2004, 07:00 PM
Big Pink Floyd fan here.

Let's all meet up at T. Grandma's place and do him in :p :p

Nothing personal ;)

edesignuk
Feb 15, 2004, 05:26 AM
Hmmm...looks like there is a queue of people just waiting to smack Tequila Grandma round the head a few times! :eek: :D :p

pivo6
Feb 15, 2004, 06:44 AM
I admit that I'm not a big fan of dance music, but this version has got to be some of the worst crap that I've ever heard of.

If I want to listen to kitsch, I'll listen to Wing (http://www.wingmusic.co.nz/)

Opteron
Feb 16, 2004, 05:55 AM
I feel that those 4 or so minutes listining to that song were, twasted. And you know what "I'LL NEVER GET THEM BACK"

Music like that should never be released, it's an insult to true musical artists such as Warters, and Glimour.

Tequila Grandma
Feb 26, 2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Sasha3
...that's "mod-a-go-go stretch elastic pants", dear.
and who knows "there will come a time when you can even take your clothes off when you dance."
Hmm, right you are. I suppose this would make more sense, although I still think "mono" is funnier. Always good to see another Zappa fan :)

And to the other posters in this thread: You should all highly consider getting a sense of humor :p. If you can't see the hilarity in turning Pink Floyd's boring, pretentious mess of a song into a goofy, over-the-top Bee-Gees-esque disco song, I feel quite sorry for you. If the entire music industry were made of pretntious *******s like Pink Floyd who created bloated, overlong albums, it would be a very sad state. You can also clump Radiohead in with Pink Floyd as being ridiculously overrated masturbatory crap.

Actually, I don't feel that harshly about Pink Floyd (although I do with Radiohead). I feel that they were incredibly talented, and could write some excellent songs. However, I can't help thinking that if they dropped the whole "we are true artists, therefore all songs must be over 7 minutes long" schtick, I would have enjoyed them much more. There's a lot of solid songwriting on their albums (Particularly "Dark Side of the Moon"), but it tends to be padded with unnecessary and uninteresting instrumental work. Just IMHO, of course, and as this thread shows, it's not exactly a popular one.

Anyway, I now have the full Scissor Sisters album. The "Comfortably Numb" cover is honestly one of the weaker tracks on there, so I'm not quite sure why I'm inclined to defend it against all you wacky Floyd fans here. I very much like "Filthy/Gorgeous", a delightful song about ghetto princess whores that uses a disco sound very similar to what's heard in the disco scene of the classic film "The Jerk" - how anyone doesn't find such a thing humorous and fun is beyond me.

Sasha3
Feb 26, 2004, 10:35 PM
I have not heard the so called travesty that is being talked about here, but now I think I will give it a listen as I've yet to hear a Pink Floyd parody so I'll probably enjoy it. Thanks grandma. One should never take oneself too seriously.
I happen to think Comfortably Numb is a very moving piece of music though The Wall is an album I can't listen to al the way through because I become tired of Waters' whining and get lost in the arcana of his imagery. The first LP by the band that turned me off was Dark Side Of The Moon. Everything up till that one was gloriously chaotic and fresh. Then Allan Parsons steps in and "Whammo! We got a formula here guys!" I mean after all, Devo did not ruin Satisfaction did they?
Oh yeah, Zappa. One of his best products was Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar. Nuf said.

edesignuk
Feb 27, 2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Tequila Grandma
...Pink Floyd's boring, pretentious mess of a song...
:eek: :eek: How dare you!!! :eek: :D

...now where did I put that hunting knife?...:eek: ;)

Savage Henry
Feb 27, 2004, 02:27 AM
Has anyone actually found out why they have molested this sacred cow?

Why can't people stick to using Phil Collins 80's stuff 'cos no one would care how that would turn out?

If you ask me, which I doubt you will, but the Scissor Sisters are partial to hugger-muggery, and no mistake.

Sasha3
Feb 27, 2004, 03:05 AM
Hugger-muggery? Whazzat?

Savage Henry
Feb 27, 2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Sasha3
Hugger-muggery? Whazzat?

You don't wanna know .... :eek:

[shudders ....gags.... reaches for bucket .... ]

Sasha3
Feb 27, 2004, 06:13 AM
Oh really now. Can't be any worse than slugger-buggery which landed more than a few homeplate umps in jail.

kettle
Feb 27, 2004, 06:20 AM
would Chutney the Ferret be partial to a spot of Hugger Muggery?:) ...or would that just be slugger buggery?

Jack SB
Mar 6, 2004, 06:33 PM
I like the scissor sistrs music and pink floyd, so what, they coverd a classic. some people like it and othrers dont, if you don't like it, dont listen to it, you dont have to. it is gay rock, they are a gay rock band and they rock, :cool:
maybe it was wrong to cover it, but they did what they want to do, if you like a song and you get a chance to cover it, you would and dont lie and say no, cos deep in side you would. they are going to be a big hit, in the gay part of life and the rest of it, so all you love them, say, ya yare. and hunting people done is stubid, and I like the ketchup song, its fab, there s no point in getting angry, this is life. and its greate.
Jack

WinterMute
Mar 7, 2004, 12:46 PM
Jack,

No-ones getting angry, it's all in fun, the Sisters can cover any song they like, and we'll slag em off or cheer em on, personally I don't think anyone could produce a BETTER version of Comfortably Numb, so why cover it?

Gay isn't the issue here, musical taste is... :D

You might want to learn to run your spell checker... ;)

Jack SB
Mar 9, 2004, 10:55 AM
Slaging it of what ever, I will run the spell check, but I like both versions.
there a gay rock bad, so in a way gay is an issue. what do people here think of there new song, it rock and the vid is fab. :p

Jack

edesignuk
Mar 9, 2004, 10:57 AM
there a gay rock bad
Rock band? LMFAO! Yeah right...

Tequila Grandma
Mar 9, 2004, 11:47 AM
I love this group to death, but Jack SB, you're not making any real arguments for the music. You're simply coming on here and misspelling a bunch of words. Bravo.

barkmonster
Mar 10, 2004, 12:25 PM
Boo Moan Grumble (Contains Swearing) (http://www.freewebs.com/barkmonster/scissorbitches.htm)

I think the cover of "the wall" that Dirty Vegas did was ok, it was just a few verses added to a kind of acoustic house track, not ruined, just a slightly different take on the original.

Not some major pink floyd fan, just know what I like the sound of.

Jack SB
Mar 12, 2004, 12:39 PM
Yer rock band, gay RRock, so what.
Jack

edesignuk
Mar 12, 2004, 12:42 PM
Yer rock band, gay RRock, so what.
Jack
I couldn't care less if they are gay, but they are not rock! :eek:

Jack SB
Mar 12, 2004, 12:42 PM
**** you and well done for being so clever, arnt you a big girl now, well done, i mean bravo
Jack

Jack SB
Mar 12, 2004, 12:44 PM
I couldn't care less if they are gay, but they are not rock! :eek:

Are you lisening, GAY ROCK Band, Gay rock, gay rock

edesignuk
Mar 12, 2004, 12:45 PM
**** you and well done for being so clever, arnt you a big girl now, well done, i mean bravo
Jack
oh my, somone needs to chill out a little. WTF is the matter with you???? It's nothing personal, you like them, I don't, no need to get so pissed about it :rolleyes:

WinterMute
Mar 12, 2004, 05:33 PM
Jack, a word of friendly advice, reacting like you do here will get you banned very quickly, personal insults and flame wars aren't tolerated here. Remember this is NOT a public site, it's private, and it's carefully moderated.

Mac-Xpert
Mar 15, 2004, 03:50 AM
:eek: :eek: How dare you!!! :eek: :D

...now where did I put that hunting knife?...:eek: ;)

I think Tequila Grandma and Jack SB better "Run like Hell" :p ;)

edesignuk
Mar 15, 2004, 03:53 AM
I think Tequila Grandma and Jack SB better "Run like Hell" :p ;)
http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/rollinglaugh.gif LMAO! Indeed they had!!! :p

Mac-Xpert
Mar 15, 2004, 04:10 AM
http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/rollinglaugh.gif LMAO! Indeed they had!!! :p
Excellent!! :p I'm happy to see there are still some people that defend real music.

Tequila Grandma
Mar 20, 2004, 10:30 AM
A week or two ago, I decided to type up a very silly little article on this group's album:

http://www.wehateyouandyourhorrendoustasteineverything.com/music/reviews/scissorsisters.php

Flame away, my friends :D

WinterMute
Mar 20, 2004, 03:50 PM
A week or two ago, I decided to type up a very silly little article on this group's album:

http://www.wehateyouandyourhorrendoustasteineverything.com/music/reviews/scissorsisters.php

I think there's going to be a queue outside your house, outraged Pink Floyd fans baying for your blood....

Luckily they'll all br too stoned to do anything particularly nasty to you, but you may well get bombarded with junk food... :D

edesignuk
Mar 21, 2004, 04:09 PM
I think there's going to be a queue outside your house, outraged Pink Floyd fans baying for your blood....

Luckily they'll all br too stoned to do anything particularly nasty to you, but you may well get bombarded with junk food... :D
Stoned or not, I'll be there with 'em!!! :D http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/wtf.gif

wowser
Mar 21, 2004, 05:12 PM
i think it offers an interesting camp bee gees version of a classic. much better than other covers of the song. its very different

Mac-Xpert
Mar 22, 2004, 11:18 AM
I think the scissors track listing sums it up just right:

02. Take Your Mama Out - 11. Return to Oz - 09. Better Luck Next Time

:D

Geetar
Mar 24, 2004, 05:38 AM
Jack,

You might want to learn to run your spell checker... ;)

I thought he was simply using "Y'allbonics"........

e.g. MUNTS: noun, denotes calender division :"My bruther from Jawjuh bard my pickup, an' I ain't herd from him in munts."

SlowX
Mar 24, 2004, 12:24 PM
HA!
<repeat>

shameless
Mar 29, 2004, 05:42 PM
I entirely agree. Scissor sister are fantastic. Tried to get tickets for their UK tour but nearly all venues have sold out.

Loads of energy and personality they have!!! Love 'em

Worng you all are! :p

The Scissor Sisters rock my world. Their hilarious, kitschy, uber-faggy dance music is some of the most fun music being produced today. I liked to listen to Pink Floyd when I was about 12, but since discovering much better, far more fun bands, I haven't had a huge desire to listen to them. The original cut of the "Comfortably Numb" cover appeared as a B-side on Scissor Sisters' first single, "Electrobix", issued early last year by the dance label A Touch of Class (who are also responsible for the great electro group Waldorf, and the most hilariously bad group ever, The Ones). I think Scissor Sisters are a great halfway point between legitimately good dance music and hilarious super-bad pop music. I liken them to the also delightful Junior Senior, except "Scissor Sisters" are even better :p

Still my favorite thing of theirs thus far is the "Hungry Wives Passive Depressive Mix" of the hilariously faggy "Electrobix": http://www.atouchofclassusa.com/atoc8/a8a.html

...and I can't wait for their full-length to finally be released in... less than a week! :D

Abstract
Apr 9, 2004, 04:55 AM
I didn't know they were gay, but always thought they had a pretty gay name. :p

Anyway, from what I heard, they make music that I would like, although I will not say that they're quality. LThis is one of those instances where a semi-decent band makes music that I happen to like, similar to The Rapture's dance-rock album, who just happen to sing off-key all the time. In fact, you can hear the crackling of the voice as he they try to hit the high notes. If it wasn't for the DFA making the beats, I would have hated them.

There are lots of talented musicians that are soooo good, but make music that I just can't get into.

Scissor Sisters = :cool:

edesignuk
Apr 9, 2004, 05:40 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

babbage100
Jun 7, 2004, 06:30 AM
Someone please tell the Record Execs that **** bands like this should be sent to work at McDonalds, not be allowed to make records!!
This is THE absolute worst cover of any song I have ever heard!! I would honestly prefer to hear Kylie or Brittney or hell even a ****e Irish Boy band cover Pink Floyd....I thought Britney covering the classic 'I love Rock 'n Roll' was terrible. This song takes the cake, it isnt funny, or cute, or anything. It isnt even a lack of respect for the classics. It is a TOTAL lack of talent, and what is even sadder is that a bunch of suits in recording studios had the gall to believe that mass-produced, talentless, c%*ksuckers like this are what we want to hear. Unfortunately thanks to the destruction of individual thought in the so-called free world, the *******s in charge seem to think that we can all be turned into mindless sheep who will buy any crap that gets made. What these morons in charge need to realise, downloading will never die, that is, until such time as we, the stupid (music buying) public, are exposed to real talent! Come on guys get real, who in the right mind would spend hard earned cash on drivil like this. Release music worth listening to. Pink Floyd made this tune in 1979, and it still is fantastic, says something about talent doesnt it? Where will this band (????) be in 6 months time? Washed up is my guess. Boycot all record companies, and bankrupt them!! :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

brap
Jun 7, 2004, 07:00 AM
Hey,

this has been happening for years, and will continue to happen for as long as the music industry targets it's tripe at the adolescent market. Almost every new debutant 'band' (term used loosely) has at least 2 cover versions on their album, 99% of which suck donkey balls; this is the way of the world. I personally ran screaming when I happened to hear some poppity-punkity guy's cover version of Nine inch nails' 'Hurt' -- but the thing is, if you don't like the new world order... why watch crap like CD-UK?

babbage100
Jun 7, 2004, 07:14 AM
Hey,

Yup I agree. Sod the New World order. I live in Japan, where I am exposed to drivel like SMAP and Gackt and Chemistry....lots more that is produced to keep the poor Japanese kids in follow thine leader mode. I hate all music programmes that play crap, MTV is the pits!

Most of the music I listen to, is kindly referred to as Satan spawned noise!! And this comes from a bunch of Hip-Hop fans....tried to get them into Insane Clown Posse, but failed, oh well, I guess as long as there are morons out there to buy trash, the record companies will spend millions promoting one second wonders.

Cheers

edesignuk
Jun 7, 2004, 09:37 AM
why watch crap like CD-UK?
Been out the night before, don't wake up on Saturday morning until about 11:30, and there's nothing else on!

MOFS
Jan 16, 2005, 12:16 PM
Been out the night before, don't wake up on Saturday morning until about 11:30, and there's nothing else on!

Your're just after Cat aren't ya?! I'm gonna tell Kiera :D :eek:

the scissor sisters are great

WinterMute
Jan 18, 2005, 10:51 AM
Well, I've actually heard the rest of the album now, and it ain't all that bad at all, some very good little songs and a bag of attitude.

Comfortably Numb is still a stack of w*nk though... :D

Abstract
Jan 19, 2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I've had the album for a few months, and my guess was accurate:

Well, they're nothing great, but lets face it, the album isn't "bad", and the Pink Floyd remix of Comfortably Numb is pretty good.

I think I just lost all of your respect in.......12 seconds.