Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Ok guys, it's time to get serious about just how well the new Macbooks and gaming get along. A lot of us thinking of getting a Macbook probably want it because its smaller and lighter than a pro, pretty capable machine at a cheaper price, and do the usual net stuff with it along with some light photo editing etc. Also... to play some light gaming! I'm talking WoW, team fortress 2, Spore, upcoming games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

Obviously we know that the integrated card can probably run games like CoD4 but not that great. We already have a console for those games, or a gaming PC or a specced-up iMac. We want those current and upcoming blizzard games to run well though.

So, let's get some 3d gaming benchmarks and comparisons in here. Can we expect starcraft 2 to run well? Can we run games like WoW with all the settings turned up? To the owner's with new Macbooks, run some tests and let's go. To those who are well-informed about graphics cards, what do you think?

lckelsey4

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Ok guys, it's time to get serious about just how well the new Macbooks and gaming get along. A lot of us thinking of getting a Macbook probably want it because its smaller and lighter than a pro, pretty capable machine at a cheaper price, and do the usual net stuff with it along with some light photo editing etc. Also... to play some light gaming! I'm talking WoW, team fortress 2, Spore, upcoming games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

Obviously we know that the integrated card can probably run games like CoD4 but not that great. We already have a console for those games, or a gaming PC or a specced-up iMac. We want those current and upcoming blizzard games to run well though.

So, let's get some 3d gaming benchmarks and comparisons in here. Can we expect starcraft 2 to run well? Can we run games like WoW with all the settings turned up? To the owner's with new Macbooks, run some tests and let's go. To those who are well-informed about graphics cards, what do you think?

I've seen this thread or similar in a lot of forums (I've asked it too). Obviously the MBP shouldn't have any problem with these games and upcoming games like Diablo3 and StarCraft 2, but for that that dont' want to drop the extra $400-$700 any expert opinion would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.