Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Hey everyone, I tried searching for a bit but I found nothing conclusive. soo..

I am thinking about selling my older 2.2GHZ MBP with the 128mb 8600M GT and 2GB of ram (120GB hd) to a friend of mine... and then possibly buying a new Macbook or Macbook Pro..

To be honest, I didn't really even need this version of the MBP.. All I do is play WoW, and a few other games while chat on iChat and surf the internet.

How will the graphics performance be on the new Macbook be to my current MBP? The same? Worse? Better even?

Thanks for any help.

gyumilly

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
The new MB's benchmark is not as good as 8600M because it's a dedicated. I did some research (can't remember where), but found that 8600M is about 1.5x better. But like you, I like to know more real world testing.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
The new MB's benchmark is not as good as 8600M because it's a dedicated. I did some research (can't remember where), but found that 8600M is about 1.5x better. But like you, I like to know more real world testing.

I see... if I were to upgrade the Macbook's ram to say 4GB would the issue of dedicated vs shared memory really be of any matter? I dare say that I would never use the 4GB of ram and then the Macbook's "shared" memory would essentially be dedicated..?

I love the new looks of the Macbook, and I rather have a 13" instead of a 15" notebook... this is why i'm trying to push myself to get it

gyumilly

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
When I got my 13" white macbook, I did upgrade to 4GB thinking, 'well, it's a shared memory, so if i have more on-board memory, i'll be all set'. I know intel x3100 is not even close to 9400M, but I dout it'll make a huge difference in graphics. Of course your overall performance will be different on 2GB v.s. 4GB, but I just can't tell about the new chip.

If I think the 9400M is enough for watching TV or light-mid video editing, I'm thinking about getting one too. I just can't stand my MB's fan stay on all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.