Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Hi all
I bought My first macbook 1 month ago its 2.4CPU, 2 GB ram, 250GB hard drive
Do you recommend me to sell it and get the new macbook??
is their a real difference??
If so, where you recommend me to sell my Macbook??

thanks

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Only a month ago? You have good specs on your current MB. Unless you get a really good deal, I wouldn't sell it.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
i am in a similar boat that i want to get the new one for the video card.

right now i have a early 08 macbook as listed in my sig.

would the new chipset improve working in FCE and iMovie?

also wondering what mine is worth, if i could sell it to buy the new one.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I think you should keep your white macbook, I bought my white 2.4ghz macbook just 2-3 months ago and I see no reason to updating. The new unibody + the led backlit screen seems worthy enough but for me, I use my macbook in closed shell mode 95% of the time so I never use or see any of the screen or features that would contribute from me to upgrading to the new macbooks.

As for the speed you prob. wont see any increase of speed. Sure the nvidia 9400m is nice free throw in but you wont be able to really game and if you want to you would still need to opt for the macbook pro.

But the number 1 reason why is because no firewire 400! I use my firewire400 all the time with my external 1tb hdds. Once I used a usb 2.0 to transfer a 97gb file and it took 1 hour and 30 minutes... with firewire 400 transferring 97gb it took just 37-38 minutes.

montanachad

macrumors regular
But the number 1 reason why is because no firewire 400! I use my firewire400 all the time with my external 1tb hdds. Once I used a usb 2.0 to transfer a 97gb file and it took 1 hour and 30 minutes... with firewire 400 transferring 97gb it took just 37-38 minutes.

Yeah, no Firewire! A step in the wrong direction Apple! I use my Firewire port for my camcorder, and I wouldn't want to give up my camcorder. :rolleyes:

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I think some people are underestimating the power of this new 9400M chip.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I think some people are underestimating the power of this new 9400M chip.

People have provided 2 links testing it on Spore (look through the threads--I'm too lazy) and both said the new chipset was sluggish and needed to be played on low setting for it to run OK. As we all know, Spore isn't a extremely highly intensive graphic game like some on the market are.

It is certainly better than the old one, but at the end of the day it is still integrated which means it is limited.

timestoby

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
north devon,uk
People have provided 2 links testing it on Spore (look through the threads--I'm too lazy) and both said the new chipset was sluggish and needed to be played on low setting for it to run OK. As we all know, Spore isn't a extremely highly intensive graphic game like some on the market are.

It is certainly better than the old one, but at the end of the day it is still integrated which means it is limited.

well i have the nvidia 7150m intergrated on my hp and i can play spore on med settings,but that was the demo lol

Clancycoop

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
I got one

I like it a lot, but I don't think that it is worth it to take the hit you would take. The new touch pad is really nice. I like that I am able to activate expose and spaces with it. I also love the alum enclosure as I have been waiting forever for it.

Honestly though, if you took much of a hit to get it, it would be very anti-climactic once you started using it.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi all
I bought My first macbook 1 month ago its 2.4CPU, 2 GB ram, 250GB hard drive
Do you recommend me to sell it and get the new macbook??
is their a real difference??
If so, where you recommend me to sell my Macbook??

thanks

I wouldn't recommend it. The white MacBook is still a great machine and will be for many years to come and you'll probably be losing money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.