PDA

View Full Version : PC'd G5 story not quite true...

MacBytes
Jan 30, 2004, 04:18 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: PC'd G5 story not quite true... (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040130171811)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Nermal
Jan 30, 2004, 04:26 PM
OK, I feel a bit better now :)

Laslo Panaflex
Jan 30, 2004, 04:31 PM
I had a feeling, it was not true, which is why I never posted in any of the 5 threads devoted to this topic.

/I bet you all think I am really cool hunh?:D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 30, 2004, 04:35 PM
Wow - I think he got an eye opener with all the response :D

Interesting to see how many people were upset about this....but it doesn't answer one very important question: how did he come by the G5 enclosure?

D

ALoLA
Jan 30, 2004, 04:36 PM
How did he get a free G5 case? This sounds even less believable than the original story. Maybe he's just trying to avoid being labelled an idiot for the rest of his life. :)

Ockham's Razor.... :)

pgwalsh
Jan 30, 2004, 04:49 PM
I say we still hang him from his balls. :D

Sun Baked
Jan 30, 2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by ALoLA
How did he get a free G5 case? This sounds even less believable than the original story. Maybe he's just trying to avoid being labelled an idiot for the rest of his life. :)

Ockham's Razor.... :) I'm quite sure that portion of his personaility will always shine through.

aka...

"If it looks like ****, smells like ****, tastes like **** and everybody is telling you its ****..... then it probably is ****."

montex
Jan 30, 2004, 05:19 PM
My original post stated that this mod, as presented, was unlikely. I'm happy to see that skepticism has served me well once again.

On the other hand, why should a PC user be so surprised that there was such a huge response from the Mac community? I believe that the hoaxer's shock at the outpouring of emotion from Mac users confirms what I've always suspected: PC users don't love the platform or the hardware. It's "just" a tool to them.

Or maybe they're just surprised to learn that Mac users DO exist. Just because the market share is 2% doesn't mean that only 2% of computer users are on a Mac. And I also believe that Apple's market is growing and will continue to grow in the years to come.

White Fire
Jan 30, 2004, 05:23 PM
I don't think calling him an idiot after he has explained what really happened is very fair.

It makes a lot more sense like this and is far more believable. The machine he put inside it is not all that hard to get, really. And as for the shell? Well, he could have got the shell from many places. For instance, if someone's G5 had a fatal flaw and the warranty was void, the internals could have been scrapped and the case could be given away easily.

Although it was rather a cruel joke to play, I'll give you that. But he says that he did not expect this kind of reaction.

And when it comes to the way that the Macintosh community reacted, well, it was rather poor in my mind. It does no good for us, because it only supports the stereotyped image that a mac-user is an over-zealous dork. I mean, who seriously cried? Christ, it's a rough deal, hey? Someone else did something so stupid as to rip out the engine of what is the computer equivalent of a BMW and install a Volvo. It's not your machine, and entirely his loss and fault. You should be laughing _at_ him rather than crying _for_ him.

latergator116
Jan 30, 2004, 06:00 PM
I don't think it was appropriate to send him hate mail. Its a frigging computer!..material object, not an animal or any other living creature.

Maybe it was very stupid what he did, but all the hate mail is not at all called for.

Molten Thinker
Jan 30, 2004, 06:03 PM
Wow... I never knew that if I posted a piece of junk on the web; I could be famous. Oh, wait, M$ does it all the time. Sorry, my mistake. Anyway, that story freaked me out. :D.

mrsebastian
Jan 30, 2004, 06:19 PM
now the real question is, will he sell it on ebay like mike rowe selling his legal docs from m$?

Sun Baked
Jan 30, 2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
I don't think it was appropriate to send him hate mail. Its a frigging computer!..material object, not an animal or any other living creature.

Maybe it was very stupid what he did, but all the hate mail is not at all called for. Yes, imagine all the press a green cat or a purple polar bear would be getting. :eek:

jrv3034
Jan 30, 2004, 06:44 PM
Maybe there was no case at all... Is there any way that the pics were Photoshopped?:eek:

themadchemist
Jan 30, 2004, 07:11 PM
It wasn't really a CRUEL joke. If he was given the computer, he could do whatever the hell he wanted to it.

Of course, it's a blatant disrespect for the intense R&D that Apple put into an incredible machine. It's also incredibly stupid to replace the guts of a G5 with substandard equipment.

But since it was a hoax, it's much less stupid. In fact, it's kind of an interesting project. I, personally, would have liked to fit the parts to say, a Mac SE, to it, and whip out System 6. I think that would have been funny.

But for all those people who actually said they felt 'sick' and that they 'cried.' I hope that was an exaggeration. That's overly emotional. I laughed, and cringed a bit of course, but mainly laughed, because I saw a guy who had wasted thousands and thousands of dollars.

I thought it was funny. Good show!

Photorun
Jan 30, 2004, 08:03 PM
I say play a hoax. I'll get a coffin that has a body that is goingt to be buried in a graveyard. Let's swap this kid's body with the one in the coffin before it's put in the ground. Isn't that hysterical? See the humor in that? His live (well, for a short while) body in that of a coffin? Ha ha oh the humor.

Hoax shmoax.

latergator116
Jan 30, 2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Yes, imagine all the press a green cat or a purple polar bear would be getting. :eek:

Yes, imagine the attention that would get!:p

Speaking of green cats, I saw someone who died their cat green in a magazine once. They also had cats woth all sorts of weird hair cuts and tatoos. Weird, huh?

QuiteSure
Jan 30, 2004, 08:39 PM
I was more offended by the original story as a parent than as a Mac user. If I spent $3,000 on my kid's Christmas present I would be furious to discover that he'd turned it into a $500 POS.

That was the part of the story that did not ring true ... if the parents were so clueless about computers, then why would they know how great a G5 was, if their son only a PC user?

Plastic Chicken
Jan 30, 2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by QuiteSure
That was the part of the story that did not ring true ... if the parents were so clueless about computers, then why would they know how great a G5 was, if their son only a PC user?

Advertising.

MrMacMan
Jan 30, 2004, 11:09 PM
Whatever,

Overclockers.com

I salute you and the mass recruiting of dollars on part of the thousand of of mac users who flooded your site to see the mutilated PowerMac G5 Case.

congrads.

:rolleyes:

nagromme
Jan 30, 2004, 11:15 PM
The joke was directed at his friend, not at Mac users worldwide. I think it's funny--and I'm glad to see he has a sense of humor about the unexpected worldwide spread!

themadchemist
Jan 31, 2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Plastic Chicken
Advertising.

haha, good one. Advertising...From Apple? ROFL!

Sabenth
Feb 1, 2004, 03:13 AM
what scares me is how uggly the inside of the case looked after he had finished talk about a mess....:D

crule joke too but nether the less theres a funny side to it