PDA

View Full Version : Quick batter question.

coffeeisgood
Oct 16, 2008, 12:56 PM
Howdy, Yesterday I got the new macbook (My first mac!)

I know the battery life is supposed to be about 4.5 hours, but after a full charge my mac says it has 3 hours left, and within seconds it says I have 1.5 hours left... Whats this all about?

mlemonds
Oct 16, 2008, 01:00 PM
calibrate the battery if that does not solve the problem, take it back and exchange

i came into this thread thinking someone was having problems making pancakes.

coffeeisgood
Oct 16, 2008, 01:02 PM
Ha! Sorry still getting used to the new keyboard.

It jumped back up to 2 hours, could something Im doing be effecting the battery life, like copying all my itunes music over to my macbook via a network shared folder?

How do I calibrate?

mlemonds
Oct 16, 2008, 01:04 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

using google is so easy it should be a sin

coffeeisgood
Oct 16, 2008, 01:06 PM
I did use google, it was easy. Felt like a sin.

Battery is up to 3 hours :-)

iToaster
Oct 16, 2008, 01:10 PM
5 hours is what Apple got in their testing. Odds are that you will not get 5 hours of life unless you type a letter with your screen brightness down to the lowest setting and have airport and Bluetooth off. The computer constantly calculates expected battery life based on the conditions under which the computer is running. I'd expect to get 3-4 hours of Internet browsing time on a MacBook, but it will vary with age and the load on the computer.

soberbrain
Oct 16, 2008, 01:13 PM
5 hours is what Apple got in their testing. Odds are that you will not get 5 hours of life unless you type a letter with your screen brightness down to the lowest setting and have airport and Bluetooth off.

According to Apple:

Testing conducted by Apple in October 2008 using preproduction 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo–based MacBook Pro units with a Higher Graphics Performance setting. Battery life depends on configuration and use. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information. The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%.

This was on the MacBook (not Pro) specs page. I wonder if this was a mistake or if they use the Pro testing data to advertise for the MacBook

coffeeisgood
Oct 16, 2008, 06:24 PM
I ran it until the battery died, now it says 10 hours until fully charged? Does this sound right?