Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
This might sound like a stupid question but why would you need a battery indicator on the side? Cant you just point your cursor on the battery icon to get a percentage?

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
This might sound like a stupid question but why would you need a battery indicator on the side? Cant you just point your cursor on the battery icon to get a percentage?

Probably meant for when the comp is off...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It works while it is off, that is the point of it. You just hit the small button on the side and a few green lights turn on showing you how much juice you have left.

eerokk

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2006
All of the current MacBooks and MacBook Pros already have external battery indicators. The indicator has typically always been on the battery itself. It definitely works when the computer is off. To me it is always a confirmation that the battery is dead rather than another reason why the computer won't start or wake up.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
All of the current MacBooks and MacBook Pros already have external battery indicators. The indicator has typically always been on the battery itself. It definitely works when the computer is off. To me it is always a confirmation that the battery is dead rather than another reason why the computer won't start or wake up.

This is a very good point. My blackbook won't power up and the battery light comes on full hence I know it is dead.

WhiteShadow

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Washington D.C.
yeah, having the indicator directly on the battery would be nice for a spare. But for those of us with just the stock battery having to flip the machine, especially if it is being used as a desktop replacement and hooked up to an endless sea of peripherals sucks. Having it on the side seems intuitive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.