PDA

View Full Version : Site critique: organicallydigital.com

Rower_CPU
Jan 30, 2004, 05:23 PM
OK, after all the feedback I've given people on sites, I figured I should put my web design where my mouth is and open mine up for abuse. ;)

Feel free to tell me any and all impressions you have of the layout, organization, design, whatever. If you like it, great, let me know. If you don't, great, let me know why.

http://www.organicallydigital.com/

kettle
Jan 30, 2004, 05:36 PM
If it's good enough for Cynthia and the gang, it's good enough for me.

I gather you had a hand in on the XHTML & CSS on this site. Nice.

Good well formed stuff and an enkoder email address to beat the bots.

p.s. sent my first WU into team 3446 a couple of days ago.:)

Rower_CPU
Jan 30, 2004, 05:37 PM
Yup, it's all me (PHP, MySQL, XHTML and CSS) besides some graphic help from eyelikeart and Mr. Anderson on the tree logo up top.

And congrats on joining the F@H team. :)

brianellisrules
Jan 31, 2004, 12:08 AM
eh... it's all right... I guess... :D

Rower_CPU
Jan 31, 2004, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by brianellisrules
eh... it's all right... I guess... :D

:p

I'm sorely lacking in the witty banter and outlandish stories of a site such as yours, though. :(

mnkeybsness
Jan 31, 2004, 09:33 AM
the header graphic is pretty distracting in a bad way... it feels to bulky and the colors of the tree really don't fit well with the scheme you've chosen for the rest of your site.

i wish i could tell you to validate your pages... but i can't... :D

Rower_CPU
Jan 31, 2004, 01:00 PM
You think so? The greens I'm using for the menus and links are taken directly from the colors in the tree graphic.

Is the grid too much?

redkore
Jan 31, 2004, 01:31 PM
I think the scheme works very well, but how about a white background?

Rower_CPU
Jan 31, 2004, 02:24 PM
As opposed to the grey background around the edges? It's something to consider.

Any particular reason why you recommend it?

mnkeybsness
Jan 31, 2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Is the grid too much?

perhaps that's it...

brianellisrules
Feb 1, 2004, 01:13 AM
:p

I'm sorely lacking in the witty banter and outlandish stories of a site such as yours, though. :(
So... what you're saying is that you're saving all that for www.robinmartinisdabomb.com?? :D

sethypoo
Feb 1, 2004, 01:34 AM
Rower,

You site is awesome, I absolutely love it. I spent some time navigating around, and I can tell you that I think you've done a great job. I know websites take a lot of time and thought, and yours is proof of one that was a "labor of love".

I only know what HTML is. This XHTML and CSS stuff is. It's all so beyond me.

Could you perhaps make it so there is a link back to the photo's page when you are looking at a larger image of a photo? I like the arrows you have to help navigate through your photos, but a link back to the main photo page would be nice.

So, again, great, great page!
Seth

redkore
Feb 1, 2004, 02:49 AM
As opposed to the grey background around the edges? It's something to consider.

Any particular reason why you recommend it?

To my eye, there's a little too much shade variation. A white background might help the content stand out better.

Hard to tell without seeing it, though. :)

Another thing: I think the navbar rollovers are a bit messy, the way the links "jump out of place". Have you considered not bolding the words? Maybe just have the background change.

(BTW: overall, I think the site works very well.)

Rower_CPU
Feb 1, 2004, 01:34 PM
sethypoo-
A link back to my main photos page from the individual photo albums is definitely needed. I've known it for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet. And thanks for the kudos.

Nice use of the yin-yang code, BTW. ;)

redkore-
Gotcha. I'll play with it.

Is the switch from normal to bold that disconcerting? I never saw the jumping back and forth as that bad, but it's definitely worth reconsidering. What browser are you using?

redkore
Feb 1, 2004, 03:29 PM
Safari.

I think it'll look a lot cleaner and more "professional" without the bold. The words might change colour, but they should stay in place.

Give it a try! :)

sethypoo
Feb 1, 2004, 11:56 PM

Nice use of the yin-yang code, BTW. ;)

Is that an inside joke?

A friend of mine showed me that at school. I though it was neat and tried it out here. Is there a listing somewhere of all the symbols you can do?

Also, where is a good tutorial site for XHTML and/or CSS?

PS- I also like the mouseovers on your page. Very, very professional.

Edit: I agree with redkore, less bold will make the site look sharper, and more clean.

Rower_CPU
Feb 2, 2004, 12:11 AM
sethypoo-
I was referring to your yin-yangs in your sig. Yours showed up a couple of weeks after I put them in mine. I assumed you saw mine and copied.

I switched to the pointers recently.

Here's a pretty good resource for HTML character entities:
http://www.bigbaer.com/reference/character_entity_reference.htm

[edit - I also took folks' suggestions on the nav rollovers. You were right, it looks better. Thanks. :)]

Vanilla
Feb 2, 2004, 06:31 AM
The only suggestion I would make would be to experiment with putting thin (light grey?) solid lines around the navigation boxes on the left hand side and leave the dotted lines graphic purely for links.
I think it would make the image "cleaner" but its just a purely personal preference of course.
Other than that, its very nice.
Vanilla

ExoticFish
Feb 2, 2004, 09:58 AM
i like the contrast between the grey background and the rest of it. i also like the banner at the top, i don't think it's too much at all.

now that i've finished moving and almost finished unpacking hopefully i can finish up my new site design that you've helped me with so i can get critiqued too.