PDA

View Full Version : Should I dump my MBP for the new MB?

thr61
Oct 16, 2008, 03:06 PM
I have a 15" MBP (2.2 ghz, 4 GB RAM) and have been waiting for the new notebooks to be released to decide about getting rid of it. I have found it to be quite heavy and difficult to use in crowded airline seats.

I used my brother's MBA this summer and liked it a great deal, but am concerned about the problems that have been reported.

Has anyone else "stepped down" to the new MB from the last generation MBP?

I can imagine getting the MBA, but think the cost of the new model seems high for what one gets, especially in terms of disk speed (non-SSD) and RAM limits.

Any suggestions for me?

tekmoe
Oct 16, 2008, 03:08 PM
I have a 15" MBP (2.2 ghz, 4 GB RAM) and have been waiting for the new notebooks to be released to decide about getting rid of it. I have found it to be quite heavy and difficult to use in crowded airline seats.

I used my brother's MBA this summer and liked it a great deal, but am concerned about the problems that have been reported.

I can imagine getting the MBA, but think the cost of the new model seems high for what one gets, especially in terms of disk speed (non-SSD) and RAM limits.

Any suggestions for me?

My previous notebook was the 17" MacBook Pro 2.4 with the hi-res screen. I sold it to buy the new 2.4 MacBook. I have no regrets.

Vulcan
Oct 16, 2008, 03:12 PM

Any suggestions for me?

The MacBook 1.7" smaller in screen size than what you have currently, will that create miracles on the airlines?

nc7r
Oct 16, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm downgrading from a MacBook Pro to the top spec 2.4GHz MacBook. Ordered it today and plan to fit a 320gb/500gb hard drive in to it and 4gb of Ram.

Should be a pretty inexpensive transition to a new computer!

thr61
Oct 16, 2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the thoughts on this. I really need to go to a store and play with a new model and also bring my older MBP along to compare.

It does seem like this gives me some of the benefit of the MBA with the power nearing the MBP. Plus, I do not do graphics, gaming, or CAD -- just email, basic office apps, some mind-mapping stuff, and web.

Has anyone else put the two side by side?

TxMacAddict
Oct 16, 2008, 07:14 PM
Dumped my Macbook Pro for the 2.4 Macbrick and I love it! :D

It's the macbook I was hoping for when they launched the air.

mobile23
Oct 16, 2008, 07:17 PM
i am thinking about the same thing.... downgrading from previous gen MBP to new MB.... might just get the new Display as well if screen size turns out to be too small when using it as home :D

tim2006
Oct 17, 2008, 07:59 PM
not a bad idea with the bad graphic chip in the previous mbp

beret9987
Oct 17, 2008, 08:35 PM
Dumped my SR Macbook Pro(2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD) for a 2.4Ghz Blackbook instead(I need the firewire). Granted the screen isn't as nice but it's definitely much easier to carry around and it seems to get better battery life. So, I think you should jump at it(if you don't use firewire at least). It'll definitely be a nice upgrade in terms of usability. I stopped carrying my MBP and started using this old T43 I had lying around.:rolleyes:

tafb
Oct 17, 2008, 09:17 PM
I had the same thought process and purchased a new macbook. while i love the MBP, it is just a little to large for my taste. the build quality of the new macbook is outstanding and substantially better than the last gen MBP in almost every respect (solid frame, better keys, battery, hard drive access) ...EXCEPT for the DISPLAY. the viewing angle on the macbook screen was a deal breaker for me. i could not find a good angle no matter how much i adjusted the screen. at normal screen angles, the screen appeared slightly washed out (the blacks were not deep blacks and the colors were slightly faded...see the pics from the gizmodo review regarding the vertical angles). to make things even more frustrating, if i moved my head slightly up or down, i could see the change in the viewing angle affect the blacks and colors on the screen. if i tilted the screen all the way back, the blacks would look deeper, and the colors would pop...but the screen was at a steep angle pointing away from me. that did not seem like a workable solution. i did a side-by-side comparison to my last gen MBP, and the MBP did not have the same issues. blacks looked deep and colors looked correct on the MBP unless i moved the screen to an extreme angle. once the MBP screen was positioned correctly, the blacks and colors would remain the same even if i moved my head a few inches up or down. the viewing angle issue may not make a difference to most people, but i do a lot of photo editing and need to see the correct black level and colors. i strongly recommend doing a side-by-side comparison of the new macbook with your MBP before you make the jump. if i did not have a MBP, i may not have ever noticed the viewing angle issue. but once you see the viewing angle issue on the macbook screen, it becomes very annoying. so i give a big thumbs up to the new macbook in every area except the display. the MBP screen appears to have a wider vertical viewing angle, and if you are used to the MBP display then you may be disappointed with the macbook display.

tekmoe
Oct 17, 2008, 09:25 PM
Eh, it's not *that* bad as tafb describes it. Most of the notebooks I have owned have been MacBook Pro's and PowerBooks. Yes, the screen is definitely not as good but it's not bad either. It's just not as high quality as the Pro models. I'm already adapting to my new MacBook 2.4. The size of the machine itself is what really helps remind me why I love this little notebook so much. I used to own a 12" PowerBook and it was probably by far my favorite notebook I have ever owned...until now. ;)

tafb
Oct 17, 2008, 09:42 PM
Eh, it's not *that* bad as tafb describes it. Most of the notebooks I have owned have been MacBook Pro's and PowerBooks. Yes, the screen is definitely not as good but it's not bad either. It's just not as high quality as the Pro models. I'm already adapting to my new MacBook 2.4. The size of the machine itself is what really helps remind me why I love this little notebook so much. I used to own a 12" PowerBook and it was probably by far my favorite notebook I have ever owned...until now. ;)

I did not say (and did not intend to suggest) that the macbook screen was "bad." Just trying to point out the differences that I saw in comparison to the last gen MBP for anyone considering making a switch to a macbook.

dhy8386
Oct 17, 2008, 09:55 PM
Just made the same switch from the same computer (2.2ghz MBP, 4gB RAM). The new construction on the machines is a drastic improvement. Everything feels more solid and sturdier. I also moved to the new MacBook because I wanted a lighter, smaller profile machine. I use it for work and for home use. Transferring settings and apps now so I will compare more once I do so...

On the screen issue, the horizontal viewing angle is much more important for me and there is no problem here. Compared to my MBP, it might not have as much pop off center but it is just as readable/usable at the angles I would use it at...on the vertical viewing angle, this does degrade more quickly than the MBP but its just not an issue with the screen being able to adjust an extra 15 degrees. I look at it like comparing TVs side by side: sure you can see a difference in the store but once you bring one home and start using it, the side by side comparisons just do not mean as much. Nonetheless, to each his own. For me for my use, its awesome. I also dig the glossy screen more than the matte MBP screen. Colors really pop.

Glax69
Oct 17, 2008, 10:05 PM
and thank you.

As a gift, I received a used 2Ghz macbook pro with "512 MB 667 MHz RAM".

If I get the 2.4 MBP, will it be as fast at opening and closing programs? And will it get quickly get slower if i add some applications (adium,word, logic express)?

jayeskreezy
Oct 17, 2008, 10:06 PM
Dumped my SR Macbook Pro(2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD) for a 2.4Ghz Blackbook instead(I need the firewire). Granted the screen isn't as nice but it's definitely much easier to carry around and it seems to get better battery life. So, I think you should jump at it(if you don't use firewire at least). It'll definitely be a nice upgrade in terms of usability. I stopped carrying my MBP and started using this old T43 I had lying around.:rolleyes:

This is what I'd like to do. I'm trying to do this right now because of the size as well as the need for funds right now. Have you found it easier with the blackbook?

interpunct
Oct 17, 2008, 10:24 PM
I had the same thought process and purchased a new macbook. while i love the MBP, it is just a little to large for my taste. the build quality of the new macbook is outstanding and substantially better than the last gen MBP in almost every respect (solid frame, better keys, battery, hard drive access) ...EXCEPT for the DISPLAY. the viewing angle on the macbook screen was a deal breaker for me. i could not find a good angle no matter how much i adjusted the screen. at normal screen angles, the screen appeared slightly washed out (the blacks were not deep blacks and the colors were slightly faded...see the pics from the gizmodo review regarding the vertical angles). to make things even more frustrating, if i moved my head slightly up or down, i could see the change in the viewing angle affect the blacks and colors on the screen. if i tilted the screen all the way back, the blacks would look deeper, and the colors would pop...but the screen was at a steep angle pointing away from me. that did not seem like a workable solution. i did a side-by-side comparison to my last gen MBP, and the MBP did not have the same issues. blacks looked deep and colors looked correct on the MBP unless i moved the screen to an extreme angle. once the MBP screen was positioned correctly, the blacks and colors would remain the same even if i moved my head a few inches up or down. the viewing angle issue may not make a difference to most people, but i do a lot of photo editing and need to see the correct black level and colors. i strongly recommend doing a side-by-side comparison of the new macbook with your MBP before you make the jump. if i did not have a MBP, i may not have ever noticed the viewing angle issue. but once you see the viewing angle issue on the macbook screen, it becomes very annoying. so i give a big thumbs up to the new macbook in every area except the display. the MBP screen appears to have a wider vertical viewing angle, and if you are used to the MBP display then you may be disappointed with the macbook display.

this is exactly what i noticed yesterday when i went to the apple store! i was preparing myself to get a new macbook (replacing my old g4 ibook), but when i looked at the displays, it was very disappointing. i don't even think my ibook looks that washed out.

needless to say, it's really put a damper on my easy buying decision. my ibook is a 12", and i'd love to go mbp because of the better display, but that's a lot bigger of a computer. still trying to decide.

altair7
Oct 17, 2008, 11:27 PM
I too came from a 2.2 Ghz MBP to the 2.4 macbook. So far I'm loving this machine. This is the machine I wanted when I had to settle for the macbook pro.

The displays come horribly calibrated. You can fix the washed out look by calibrating it though it still will not match the MBP screens.

ktbubster
Oct 18, 2008, 03:45 AM
You could just get a refurb macbook air if you just travel and do basic things and liked the one you used. You can get them refurb for only 50 more then a new macbook....

Not that it matters, the new macbook is beautiful and i'm sure you'll love it, but just saying that the refurb store might be a nice place to look if the only thing keeping you from the air was the price and not the power.