PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch 2nd Generation Built in Speakers, Help

Jwayne25
Oct 16, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hi I just got an Ipod Touch 2nd Generation 8gb.

Everything seems fine, I synced it to itunes 8.0, and got some free aps, also synced my music

When i went to play my music using the built in speakers, there was no sound. After some playing around i got sound to come out when i was experimenting with the alarm sounds. Are the speakers only meant for this? The apple website states it should be used for music as well

If anyone can help I would much appreciated it, thank you.

OnTheiTouch2G
Oct 16, 2008, 07:08 PM
:confused:

Well, let's start by making sure the sound is up. Use the external volume control up. Or try going settings, general, sound and sliding that up.

Beware that if you do not have external volume controls on the top left side of the iPod you do not have a 2g

Jwayne25
Oct 16, 2008, 07:10 PM
No Offense but I am pretty tech savy. I tried everything besides the hard reset through iTunes.

-Dark Angel-
Oct 16, 2008, 07:13 PM
If it is meant to play songs (which it is) it shouldn't, its just horrible, you can't hear it good unless you have it up loud enough that the darn speakers distorts sounds. I use my speakers for the alarms and thats about it.

Jwayne25
Oct 16, 2008, 07:13 PM
Crappy or not I would at least like it to work.

OnTheiTouch2G
Oct 16, 2008, 07:15 PM
Defective unit. There's nothing special you have to do, it should just... Work.

Jwayne25
Oct 16, 2008, 07:20 PM
Defective unit. There's nothing special you have to do, it should just... Work.

So why do the "jingles" from the alarm samples work and everything else, not?

OnTheiTouch2G
Oct 16, 2008, 07:34 PM
Somebody with a 1g pipe up here. Don't 1gs even have alarms? I could be wrong about that.

vandlism
Oct 16, 2008, 07:47 PM
I'm tempted to ask if you are sure you have the 2g iPod. Anyway, the first gen iPod does have alarms, through the use of a pico speaker (only does tones). If you aren't getting any sound through the speaker (with nothing plugged into the headphone jack) I would say you have a defective unit and to bring it in to your local Apple store.

Jwayne25
Oct 16, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm tempted to ask if you are sure you have the 2g iPod. Anyway, the first gen iPod does have alarms, through the use of a pico speaker (only does tones). If you aren't getting any sound through the speaker (with nothing plugged into the headphone jack) I would say you have a defective unit and to bring it in to your local Apple store.

It has the newer packaging and the volume control on the side so i'm pretty sure this is a 2G

Ivan P
Oct 16, 2008, 07:57 PM
It has the newer packaging and the volume control on the side so i'm pretty sure this is a 2G

Then it has faulty hardware, get it replaced ASAP.

Jwayne25
Oct 16, 2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the help everyone

therealmrbob
Oct 16, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 2g has the same pico speaker as the 1g, so that's probably why alarms still works.

-Dark Angel-
Oct 16, 2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 2g has the same pico speaker as the 1g, so that's probably why alarms still works.

nope, it's a real speaker. I have the iPhone famous ringtone as my alarm.

Jwayne25
Oct 19, 2008, 01:08 AM
Here's an awkward update.

This is still with my current weird touch.

When i play music, press pause, let the touch go to hibernate on its own.

When i slide to unlock, i hear the usual click that happens when you unlock. Then i press play on my music and i get .3-.5 seconds of sound and it stops.

Cynicalone
Oct 19, 2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah that needs to be exchanged I have both the 1st gen and the 2nd gen. You can hear the unlock sounds and such on the 1st gen. The 2nd gen is the only one that can play music on the built in speaker.

If you have the Volume control on the side of the iPod it is the 2nd Gen.

Again I would take it to Apple and swap it out.