PDA

View Full Version : Dell DJ Good, But Not Good Enought Compared to iPod

MacBytes
Jan 30, 2004, 10:29 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Dell DJ Good, But Not Good Enought Compared to iPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040130232931)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

winmacguy
Jan 31, 2004, 12:24 AM
What more do we need to say? I think the worldwide success of the iPod range (I got my 20GB on Friday:)) and iTMS (not in NZ yet) speak for themselves!

montex
Jan 31, 2004, 01:16 AM
I read the whole article (not exactly a pleasure) and I feel like the guy could have at least tested an iPod for comparison. I get a definite sense that the author might feel dirty if he dared to suggest that, maybe, just this one time, Apple had something better. He wanted to like the Dell DJ, but just couldn't reach that place.

When I got my first 5Gb iPod in December 2001, I knew Apple had a hit. And I didn't have to force myself to like it. The author called the DJ a beta product! I guess that was the nicest way to say that it sucked he could think of.

Seriously, everyone is going to compare the DJ to the iPod. Would it have killed them to at least try one out for this article?

Mr.Hey
Jan 31, 2004, 03:39 AM
Its amazing how he himself can't swallow his own pride and recommend the iPod, its the clear winner. If this was any other company with such a quality product he wouldn't think twice about recommending it to his readers.

Nermal
Jan 31, 2004, 04:20 AM
I don't have an iPod, but that review certainly doesn't make me want to get a Dell DJ! Besides, I'd need AAC playability for stuff off iTMS, which is apparently coming to NZ soon :)

nagromme
Jan 31, 2004, 06:52 PM
Wow, I would have thought a "bad" music player still got the job done, just not as easily and elegantly, and missing a few frills. I would NOT have expected it to be THAT bad!

"... things like not allowing you to use the device to transport files without installing software on the destination computer [Dell File Manager--better bring the CD and hope your destination allows strangers to install system software! nice portability!], allowing you to record voice audio but not transfer it to your computer and other conundrums covered in this review. The hardware looks like it's there, as is the means of navigating the device. How about a little quality assurance and testing? ...things like bad documentation..."

And comments about his unreasoning fear of iPod are true:

"If you want something that works out of the box without any trouble and does what you expect, read reviews, swallow your pride if you have to and spend the extra money on something that's ready for prime time. I'm not telling you to buy an iPod (I don't have one and haven't tested one) but someone else is bound to come up with a PC-based device like this that's worth dropping your hard earned cash on."

Now, really, why suggest the need for some future thing "someone else" is "bound to come up with"? If the iPod is already the leader, and you are already think paying more than Dell's price is sensible?

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040130/dell-07.html

Lancetx
Jan 31, 2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by nagromme
"I'm not telling you to buy an iPod (I don't have one and haven't tested one) but someone else is bound to come up with a PC-based device like this that's worth dropping your hard earned cash on."

PC-based device? :confused: Doesn't this guy at Tom's realize that iPods have worked with Windows for quite some time now? The days of the separate Mac & Windows versions ended about a year ago now too, plus iTunes for Windows has been available since last fall. Apparently someone needs to inform him of this or otherwise he simply has a major prejudice against Apple going on (or both)... :rolleyes:

MrMacMan
Jan 31, 2004, 11:51 PM
Indeed.

Installing -- Horrible.
Playing -- Fine.
Moving data files w/o a dell -- Impossible.

Bah, I'll take my iPod over this.