PDA

View Full Version : Audible interference in ‘My Immortal’

bannedagain
Jan 30, 2004, 10:43 PM
I just bought a copy of 'Fallen' and in track 4 (My Immortal) at 1:29, and at the end of the track a soft, high bith beeping sound can be heard above the music. It sounds like morse code and detracts quite alot from the music.

I've returned the CD twice and downloaded both the Albem and Single veersion off the net and the beeping can be heard in all copies.

Can anyone else hear this high pitched beeping? or am I just going mad. The beeping is soft and can only really be heard at greater volumes on better quality speakers.

WinterMute
Jan 31, 2004, 09:05 AM
Nope, it's there on every version I've heard, it sounds like a play-in from the turntables.

Incidentally, I think it sounds OK.

bannedagain
Jan 31, 2004, 10:14 PM
I listned to the film clip on TV today, and that high pitch beebing was quite destinct at the end of the track.

selloutvixen
Feb 4, 2004, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I have definitely heard the sounds in the track.

At first I thought it was my cell phone signal interfering with my stereo, and it drove me crazy the first few times I listened because of this. I'd think my phone was ringing, turn down the music, no phone call.

&*^@!&*#%!@&*#$

I wish I knew what it was. :confused:

scem0
Feb 4, 2004, 05:10 PM
Hmmmmmm never noticed the sound, although I've listened to that song a million times.

I don't mind it at all. Doesn't take away from the overall sound of the track at all IMO.

scem0

acidrock
Feb 4, 2004, 11:21 PM
could this interfearance go away after importing the song? I did and I can't hear anything. Though my hearings not as good as it used to be.

scem0
Feb 4, 2004, 11:22 PM
It is there on my imported version.

scem0

sparkleytone
Feb 8, 2004, 04:22 AM
its meant to be there. its part of the production of the song, which stinks by the way. at least the radio version was mostly rerecorded with a REAL piano this time. whoever produced their CD needs to find a new dayjob. that track alone draws my ire on many points.

Opteron
Feb 11, 2004, 02:56 AM
I can hear the blastard beeping to.

It really detracts form the music. I get it between 1:30-2:00 and close to the end of the track.

I'd really like to know what sony has to say about it.

kaosfere
Feb 12, 2004, 03:22 PM
I'm a ham radio operator, and I've done my fair share of sending and receiving CW (Morse code). Sadly, it's been a while since I was really good at it, and my transcription skills have fallen off a great bit.

I will say this, though: this is, in my mind, unmistakably CW. Not only that, it's sent very precisely, and at a speed that indicates a good deal of proficiency -- if I had to guess, I'd say it's at around 20 wpm, which is faster than what the FCC required for its highest level of ham license before they watered down the code requirement.

Unfortunately, due to my deteriorated skills and the background (er... foreground) noise on the track, combined with the fact that an iPod really does not make the best environment for repeated jogging along a track, I've been unable to translate most of it.

There is unmistakably a CQ, though, at around 4:11. The characters immediately after that are a big garbled, but a few seconds later (around 4:14) I distinctly hear a sequence that I'm fairly certain is H D N ... the three after that I *think* are W I E, but I had a bit more difficulty with that.

I need to get an audio editor, slow the song down to about 50% speed, and lower the pitch a bit, to see if that helps clarify things any.

(On edit: "CQ" is a code that ham operators use alot. It's an abbreviation for "seek you", and it's used when you're sending out a call requesting people to respond for a conversation. The pattern is rather rhytmic (dah-di-dah-dit dah-dah-di-dah), and heard alot, so identifying that becomes second nature; it was the first concrete pattern I heard out of the code that lead me to believe there might be more)

Opteron
Feb 12, 2004, 10:01 PM
That's truley amazing:eek:

KC9AIC
Feb 15, 2004, 07:55 AM
You're a ham radio op too! Sweet! My CW skills are not worth a thing. I failed my test twice, and would be a General class if not for the test. The requirement may be dropped....

KC2OOZ
Mar 5, 2006, 09:14 PM
Hey I'm a Ham Radio Op too and the other night I was listening to My Immortal on my iPod and it hit me. According to the co-founder of the band it's not actually Morse code... it's apparently... "a preset pattern on a keyboard synthesizer that we were using for sound on that song. And if you sustain the note long enough, it trails off into this beeping that sounds a lot like Morse code." That's the official word. But.... I tried to decode it to no avail. I'm going to ask one of the guys at the club who have been doing this for a while (Afterall, I've only been an op for like 6 months...and I'm only 17 so gimme a break;) ) I'll find out though and let you all know.

73 DE KC2OOZ

maestro55
Mar 5, 2006, 09:57 PM
I would agree with the others that say that it is morse code. However my CW skills are very rusty and I can't make out what could possibly be sent. Even if it is not meant to be, there is certainly something that could be made out.

73 es gud dx de kd5owo

cslewis
Mar 5, 2006, 10:05 PM
I know! Let's set up a folding team to decode the message! :D

Koodauw
Mar 29, 2006, 02:25 PM
My hearing is not the best, but are you all talking about the high pitched 'beeping' that can be heard clearest at the end of the song?

Also, which version, the version that is slow, or the other version where at the end the band plays. Im guessing the first.

dsharits
Mar 29, 2006, 03:01 PM
My hearing is not the best, but are you all talking about the high pitched 'beeping' that can be heard clearest at the end of the song?

Also, which version, the version that is slow, or the other version where at the end the band plays. Im guessing the first.
Yes, it's the slow version

dornoforpyros
Mar 29, 2006, 03:14 PM
maybe this gods way of telling not to listen to Evanescence

faintember
Mar 29, 2006, 03:24 PM
Just sounds like a portion of the pad that accompanies a large portion of the song. It is not interference. It dosent bother me either.

Togglehead
Mar 29, 2006, 03:44 PM
I'm a ham radio operator, and I've done my fair share of sending and receiving CW (Morse code). Sadly, it's been a while since I was really good at it, and my transcription skills have fallen off a great bit.

I will say this, though: this is, in my mind, unmistakably CW. Not only that, it's sent very precisely, and at a speed that indicates a good deal of proficiency -- if I had to guess, I'd say it's at around 20 wpm, which is faster than what the FCC required for its highest level of ham license before they watered down the code requirement.

Unfortunately, due to my deteriorated skills and the background (er... foreground) noise on the track, combined with the fact that an iPod really does not make the best environment for repeated jogging along a track, I've been unable to translate most of it.

There is unmistakably a CQ, though, at around 4:11. The characters immediately after that are a big garbled, but a few seconds later (around 4:14) I distinctly hear a sequence that I'm fairly certain is H D N ... the three after that I *think* are W I E, but I had a bit more difficulty with that.

I need to get an audio editor, slow the song down to about 50% speed, and lower the pitch a bit, to see if that helps clarify things any.

(On edit: "CQ" is a code that ham operators use alot. It's an abbreviation for "seek you", and it's used when you're sending out a call requesting people to respond for a conversation. The pattern is rather rhytmic (dah-di-dah-dit dah-dah-di-dah), and heard alot, so identifying that becomes second nature; it was the first concrete pattern I heard out of the code that lead me to believe there might be more)

im an audio editor.....let see what i can do...=D

trogdor!
Mar 30, 2006, 02:30 PM
maybe this gods way of telling not to listen to Evanescence

haha, I just wish thier drummer would stay true to his roots in metal. Rocky is an excellent guitarist. His work was awesome in Living Sacrifice, Soul Embraced, and the few side project bands he has done. I would love to hear an update on "The Burning" band that Ive heard about he is working on.

mkrishnan
Mar 30, 2006, 02:34 PM
Somehow my memory is that that sound effect is some space ship transmission ... like the signal generated by Sputnik or Voyager or something like that. But better or worse, it's supposed to be there.

Heh...I think I changed my iTunes tracklist so that the radio version played as track 4 and the other version played as the last track.

And all technical production issues aside, I adore this CD....particularly Tourniquet.

scokim
Apr 19, 2006, 09:08 PM
Another example of Evanescence messing with our curiosity is in the song "Field of Innocence". :D

Does anyone know the English translation of the Latin words spoken in the second half of the song ? :confused:

CorvusCamenarum
Apr 19, 2006, 09:36 PM
Another example of Evanescence messing with our curiosity is in the song "Field of Innocence". :D

Does anyone know the English translation of the Latin words spoken in the second half of the song ? :confused:

Iesu, Rex admirabilis
Et triumphator nobilis,
Dulcedo ineffabilis,
Totus desiderabilis.

O Jesus, King most wonderful
the conqueror renowned
the sweetness most ineffable
in whom all joys are found.

nightdweller25
Apr 19, 2006, 09:44 PM
It's part of the song and it is not morse code. It's just their because the band thought it was a unique sound and a lot of people started to think it was morse code.

cvsguimaraes
Apr 1, 2009, 09:45 PM
yes this is Morse Code,
but is not transmitting in English ...
is being passed a piece of melody that is played that song in piano
similar to the technique demonstrated on this site
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dmitrismirnov/MorseMusic.html

but it was not by chance, after identifying and decoding the recombinations that were used for this transmission (32 x five-element codes, explaining the high frequency 150cpm)
find a great coincidence, the code being analyzed by One-to four-elements code exactly spell SOS in full:
"save our souls" repeatedly

Evanescence = nerd :)