PDA

View Full Version : the problem of junk email - I'm new

acidrock
Jan 30, 2004, 10:56 PM
I've enjoyed reading some topics in this forum and decided to join so this is my first post. I'm sorry I don't know if this topic was done before.

I know this is a problem for everyone but the question is what else can I do about it. Currently I am using the mail email program through Jaguar. I am receiving 20 -30 junk emails a day. Some of which go through the filter but many do not. This is really frustrating for me but the odd thing is three weeks ago I was not recieving that much.

Part of my question is what the hell happened in three weeks? At that time I was getting two a day. I have not subscribed to any new lists either. I use a netscape account when i need to give out my address, and some of the lists I had subscribed to for newsletters, I have now unsubscribed, but that was like two of them, not counting apple.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to give up my email address.

Nermal
Jan 31, 2004, 12:34 AM
I had been really careful with my email address, and I never got spams. Then one day, one of my friends got a chainletter (you know, forward this to 20 people etc etc). So what does he do? Puts all 20 email addresses in the "To" field for the world to see. Ever since then, I've been getting spams.

So it's not how careful you are that's the problem, it's how careful your friends are. The weakest link.

Dippo
Jan 31, 2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
I had been really careful with my email address, and I never got spams. Then one day, one of my friends got a chainletter (you know, forward this to 20 people etc etc). So what does he do? Puts all 20 email addresses in the "To" field for the world to see. Ever since then, I've been getting spams.

So it's not how careful you are that's the problem, it's how careful your friends are. The weakest link.

Yea, I don't know what is up with people and chain letters. They are just as bad as spam, or they are spam but from people you know.

crenz
Feb 2, 2004, 09:36 AM
The number one source of spam is putting your e-mail address on the web. If you don't have a homepage, think about guestbooks or forums where you've left your e-mail address visible for the spam robots.

Bedawyn
Feb 2, 2004, 12:08 PM
The latest viruses can also increase your spam quotient -- that may explain the timing.

As for what to do about it: SpamSieve (http://www.c-command.com/spamsieve/index.shtml). A zillion times better than both Mail's junk filter and Spamfire.