Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I need a small digital camera with at least 1.3 megapixels. It should also be able to take shots on the go without blurring. I don't want to have to use a tripod or a something to keep the camera steady. The most important thing is small. I want to use it to take pics of stuff I see in my daily life to post on my site.

Thanks

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
Do you have Visa with some sort of points system that you can redeem for rewards? Thats how i got my digicam.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Take a look at the Canon Digital Ixus i (or Powershot SD10 how it's called in some countries). It's very small and has a good image quality.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I don't have a Visa with points, though I kinda assume such a camera would be rather low quality.

Those Canon cameras seem a bit overboard for what I need. Also, they're a bit thick.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
there is one from olympus, I think stylus or something..veryyy beautiful..although I guess they are 3 megapixel..so more than what you are looking for...but again I thought they were very sleek..
cheers

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I vacillated between the Minolta Dimage XT and the Casio Exilim S20. Both are great cameras, but I went with the Dimage and never looked back. SMALL and great pictures.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Originally posted by themadchemist
I vacillated between the Minolta Dimage XT and the Casio Exilim S20. Both are great cameras, but I went with the Dimage and never looked back. SMALL and great pictures.

The Dimage has a cool feature where you can make movies up to the whole length of the memory card, too, I believe. I think most cameras have a much shorter fixed time limit.

There's also the Pentax Optio S and Optio S4. They are 3 and 4 MP versions, respectively, of the "camera that fits in an Altoids tin" -- very, very small. Both have a 3X optical zoom.

The Dimage XT is available for a hair over $200, and the Optio S4 is available for <$300. I think the S is somewhere in between.... All of these use SecureDigital cards.

I don't have any of these -- I'm thinking about getting one in the near future.

This website:

http://www.dpreview.com/

has reviews of the S and the Dimage X (same optics as the XT but only 2 MP), and from these, it seems to me that the focal quality and colors on the Minolta are better.

But when you said that you needed a camera that takes clear pictures, if you meant in comparison to camera phones (which often put out blurry shots), I think any of these would work well.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
i HIGHLY reccomend the Canon A60. It has MANY fatures, is rather compact, VERY STURDY, and takes high quality pictures. oh, it's inexpensive too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.