Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Note sure where to post this but tried a couple other spots too...

Here's my situation :-/
In transferring my files from one Mac (see sig) to the other (new Macbook) I have to use an ethernet cable. Now, the problem is that when I try to transfer the files I have to put in the Mac OS install disc into my Powerbook. I can't however because my Powerbook superdrive is broken.

If I were able to use firewire, (assuming I had an older macbook/mpb) would I still need to use my Mac OS install disc to proceed?

Powerbook runs Tiger
Macbook runs Leopard

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
No, you don't need to use an ethernet cable, nor you Mac OS X install discs.

Get a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable from your local computer store, should be reasonably priced.

Restart your Powerbook, and the instant that it is off(as soon as you hear the chime), hold the T key until you see a blue screen with a yellow firewire logo bouncing around.

Plug your Macbook into your Powerbook with the Firewire cable and your Powerbook HD will mount on the Macbook's Desktop, and then you're free to move all of your files to your Macbook.

Edit: I notice you said "new Macbook", so if it's the new new Macbooks, and not just a "new to you" Macbook, it doesn't have firewire, and my idea is null and void and I have nothing further to add. Sorry!

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Get yourself a thumb-drive: a USB-based memory stick and load stuff on it, then transfer directly to the new machine.

TigerDirect has a nice selection and good prices; scroll down on that page to select the size you want.

Most of the drives are preformatted for PC's, so you'll have to reformat to MacOS X.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I have a question that could fit here:

Can you transfer apps from an iBook to the new MBPs (or any intel one) by just dragging the app icon to the app folder of the new computer?

I will receive my MBP soon and was wondering about that.

Will the settings in the app be lost? Will the serial numbers / paid activations transfer to the new computer?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.