PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store to hit Auckland, New Zealand

MacBytes
Oct 17, 2008, 08:10 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple Store to hit Auckland, New Zealand (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081017091016)
Description:: Kiwi fans of the Apple brand will shortly have a dedicated venue at which to celebrate their devotion when the first New Zealand-based megastore opens soon in Auckland's Newmarket district.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

iMacmatician
Oct 17, 2008, 08:42 PM
Yay! About time too. I lived there for many years. I wonder how big it will be, and if there will be more in New Zealand soon.

bonkiebonks
Oct 18, 2008, 03:06 PM
This isn't a *real* Apple Store if you know what I mean. It's owned and operated by MagnumMac, an authorised reseller of Macs in NZ.

Sam Symons Live
Oct 18, 2008, 03:41 PM
Booyah, finally. Hopefully there'll be one in Christchurch in the future...I live in Methven :p

Jake381
Oct 18, 2008, 05:25 PM
That will virtually destroy ubertech which is just up the road. I'll be happy for that to happen though if we get a genius bar :P

mklnz
Oct 18, 2008, 10:43 PM
About damn time! Now I can finally go to a genius bar when I have problems instead of going to authorised service providers :D

Edit: Oh wait.. this isn't a real Apple Store...FAIL

PCMacUser
Oct 19, 2008, 12:09 AM
The funniest thing about the article is:

Renaissance, Apple’s New Zealand distributor, was unavailable for comment prior to posting this story.

This is amusing because Renaissance owns MagnumMac...

This will actually be the second store of this type. The first is already opened and operating in the new Albany shopping centre.

Buzz Bumble
Oct 20, 2008, 01:10 AM
This will actually be the second store of this type. The first is already opened and operating in the new Albany shopping centre.

Errr... No. Definitely not.

The Newton branch of Magnum Mac was the first semi-Apple Store in New Zealand. It was meant to be followed by another branch in the South Island, but I don't know if that ever happened. This new Newmarket store (which replaces the Newton one) is being based more closely on the official Apple Stores and is apparently much bigger, with two levels.

The Albany "branch" of Magnum Mac isn't really much more than a display stand and barely qualifies as a "store" at all. It's only about 5 paces wide by about 20 paces deep. (They do advertise that they run free courses, so there may be some sort of classroom out the back as well.) They seem to ship stuff to / from the Newton branch for repairs. Not that it really matters ... Magnum Mac is quite a good place to go and play with all the new toys, but the prices the Macs are better downstairs in JB Hi-Fi (maybe the iPod prices too). :)

The Albany Magnum Mac is about the same size, and same design, as the Mac sub-store in the back corner of Harvey Normans in Glenfield.

dawnrazor
Oct 27, 2008, 12:58 AM
Errr... No. Definitely not.

The Newton branch of Magnum Mac was the first semi-Apple Store in New Zealand. It was meant to be followed by another branch in the South Island, but I don't know if that ever happened. This new Newmarket store (which replaces the Newton one) is being based more closely on the official Apple Stores and is apparently much bigger, with two levels.

The Albany "branch" of Magnum Mac isn't really much more than a display stand and barely qualifies as a "store" at all. It's only about 5 paces wide by about 20 paces deep. (They do advertise that they run free courses, so there may be some sort of classroom out the back as well.) They seem to ship stuff to / from the Newton branch for repairs. Not that it really matters ... Magnum Mac is quite a good place to go and play with all the new toys, but the prices the Macs are better downstairs in JB Hi-Fi (maybe the iPod prices too). :)

The Albany Magnum Mac is about the same size, and same design, as the Mac sub-store in the back corner of Harvey Normans in Glenfield.
Either way, its still a bit pants isn't it, I've always found MM to be very up them selves, I'll be happy to stay with Ubertec until a REAL Apple store opens, as unlikly as that sounds. After visiting the Sydney store, you can't help but be a lot jealous! Crikey another good reason to move to Aussie eh!

Jake381
Nov 19, 2008, 05:19 AM
Went to the store today. Very impressive and beats the pants of ubertec.
Staff weren't quite on the ball though. Student prices were also better there than elsewhere in auckland. Strange?

cbtlr
Jan 10, 2009, 10:01 PM
No it was and is a Magnum Mac it had had help from Apple in setting it up with the overall look etc based around slightly resembling an apple store, it obviously won't have the same level of expertise nor the same refund/exchange policies that make Apple Number1, Sadly we'll never see a Real Apple Store here, NZ has a closed market in that resepct, so don't expect to see:
Gap
ZARA
Abercrombie & Fitch
Whole Foods
Apple
Our little Saudi Arabian styled government makes sure the rich kiwis that hold the franchise/import, distribution rights to these products remain the sole distributor/retailer thus ensuring the rich minority in wealthy suburbs in Auckland remain and we continue to be their cash cow because we have no choice and they'll continue to rob us because in NZ we have NO RRP (recommended retail price) so these greedy mongrels happily rip off their own fellow kiwis, NZ ain't all that and the "Green" misconception has nothing to do with the "environment" it's about the number of trees we have in our back yards.
We're gas-guzzling, obese mindf*cked sheep and we're all poor thanks largely to our closed government doing favors for it's kin that own the above distribution rights to the above well designed, affordable (when not sold in NZ) products.
Lastly we do have an Apple Store.co.nz (online only) that's good news - thanks Apple it means there can't be any price-fixing from Magnum Mac (Renassiance).
And we can buy SECONDS YUP 2ND'S Abercrombie and Fitch (old seasons) sold as NEW from General Issue stores in NZ, but no New current stuff (everything marked as a second just check the A&F label.
I been away from NZ for 12 years (London based then New York) and finally coming back I can tell you this country is a ****ingdog man, before getting defensive get out see the world and forget "rip-off Britain" we are the biggest rip on planet earth !
NZ is great if you're old and would like to retire or you would like to have children like fat ducks and start to live your childs life rather than first living your own oblivious to anybody around you.
In Summary No Apple Retail Store Ever in NZ and Freedom Saudi-Style !

mikekelley
Jan 12, 2009, 10:51 AM
I lived in NZ and can happily say that Magnum Mac are a bunch of ****ers with prices that are way too high.

I am from the states and almost had a heart attack when I saw the prices they wanted for some things. ROFL.

I love NZ but as the post above me states, some of the policies need to be changed with regards to pricing and so on.

And Magnum Mac can shove it up you know what.

zapzupnz
Feb 12, 2009, 06:51 PM
I am from the states and almost had a heart attack when I saw the prices they wanted for some things. ROFL.

I love NZ but as the post above me states, some of the policies need to be changed with regards to pricing and so on.

Uhh, yeah. Magnum Mac's prices are just USD>NZD conversions and are the same prices as Apple sets on the NZ Apple Store. You can't expect the prices any lower, because that means no profit is made. That would actually mean a loss would be made. A huge loss, when converted back to USD. And do you really think Cupertino would be willing to make a loss just so that Macs are available?

Get some business sense, please.

Jake381
Feb 14, 2009, 02:15 AM
I lived in NZ and can happily say that Magnum Mac are a bunch of ****ers with prices that are way too high.

And Magnum Mac can shove it up you know what.

Ever heard of an exchange rate? You know, those things that are essential for global trade?

wetrix
Feb 28, 2009, 08:31 PM
The Newmarket Magnum Mac store is terrible. They staff are unknowledgeable, they never seem to have what you want in stock and their repair department is useless.

Ubertech may be small, but they have been terrific the two times I've needed a warranty repair done.

I buy all my apple gear online because it arrives the next day and I don't have to drive all over Auckland to find a store with stock (if you call, they just lie because the staff at MacnumMac don't know what a Rev B MacBook Air is or an external superdrive).

jodelli
Mar 1, 2009, 09:00 AM
Apple Store to hit Auckland, New Zealand (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081017091016)

Why? What did Auckland do wrong?

cbtlr
Mar 2, 2009, 12:11 AM
Apple WANTS to open an Apple Store or More in NZ like it's starting to do in Australia, but NZ won't let them, blame Renaissance the NZ distributor that owns MagnumMac, that argues if Apple opened a Retail Store then they'd go out of business and 300+ jobs would be lost, ofcourse Apple Stores in NZ would create thousands of jobs! But Kiwiland is a closed little market, we have to support (no choice) the Kiwis that own the distribution rights so when you shop at MagnumMac what you're doing is STOPPING a REAL Apple Retail Store from Opening in NZ.
Shopping in an Apple Retail Store is an experience, I could kill a few hours in one a week happily, they're a great place to be, unfortuately most kiwis will never know, unless they see sydneys.

An Apple Retail Store is like Star Wars
A Magnum Mac Store is like The Humanoid (low-budget Italian/Turkish STAR WARS ripoff from 1979 starring Jaws from James Bond)

Chundles
Mar 2, 2009, 12:11 AM
Wait, what? :confused:

macyash
Apr 7, 2010, 08:25 AM
hii
Take a glance on following info this is all related to Business Services available in New Zealand just click on following link

BidNZ (http://bidnz-business.co.nz/): Business Services available in New Zealand

Business” is the act of being busy. In commercial sense, it is an act of being busy doing some profitable work. In general, it is an organization which provides product or services or ideas to the consumers. Usually, businesses are privately owned, providing services with an intention of earning profit, thereby, creating wealth for the owners.

i hope this will help u

thanks