Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I'm seriously considering buying the new macbook. The only thing that is making me think is whether it is capable of playing sims 2.
I think that it will be fine but I'm not sure. If it can't I'll have to think about the pro or just play on my iMac.
Do you guys know if the new macbook would have a problem with the Sims?
Thanks.

Subhumanguy

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
I was playing it last night without a problem on my Aluminum MacBook 2.4 I have everything on Medium and a resolution of 1280 x 800.

Hope this helps!

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
sims 2 is the only game i really play. and let me tell you, it runs amazingly on the new macbook. the graphics are way better than on the previous generation and everything moves much more smoothly

bmg

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
I'm probably going to pick up a white MB next week, is there any limitations or games that I won't be able to play on it (Quake, Halo3,...)? Thanks.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I'm probably going to pick up a white MB next week, is there any limitations or games that I won't be able to play on it (Quake, Halo3,...)? Thanks.

Halo 3 is an Xbox 360 exclusive title and Quake was released a very long time ago - you'll need some special software to run that.

bmg

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Yeah, sorry. I just named them for an example. I actually don't do much gaming, but may want to in the future and wondered how the white book, 2.1 ghz would hold up. I'm getting an excellent deal on one for $879 out the door. Should I hold out for the 2.0 Alum MB (+$500), or will this one fill my needs (casual gaming, strategy and 1st person shooters). Thanks.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
It's impossible for me to convey just how much better the latest MacBook graphics chip is although I will say that it produces about ten times the score of the old one in 3D Mark 06.

If you really want to have an enjoyable gaming experience you should get the new MacBook. You'll regret it later if you don't.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, sorry. I just named them for an example. I actually don't do much gaming, but may want to in the future and wondered how the white book, 2.1 ghz would hold up. I'm getting an excellent deal on one for $879 out the door. Should I hold out for the 2.0 Alum MB (+$500), or will this one fill my needs (casual gaming, strategy and 1st person shooters). Thanks.

If you're looking to play medium games after the next two years, get an aluminum MacBook. If you will most likely have a new computer by then so it wouldn't matter, buy the aluminum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.