Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider believes that Apple will still be introducing new iMacs before the end of the year. The site had previously reported that the updates would be "speed bumps" rather than major internal or external changes.

The iMac has traditionally shared an internal design with Apple's notebook computers so it's conceivable that they could see the same NVIDIA chipset revisions the current MacBooks and MacBook Pros have seen. The iMac, however, has already been using the faster 1066MHz front-side bus since its last revision in April.

The low end iMacs currently ship with ATI Radeon graphics cards with an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS as an upgradable option. Apple has said they would start building in Mini Display ports into all their machines from now on. Firewire's fate on the consumer machines remain unclear.

Article Link

noahmateen1234

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
I believe they will update the iMac and Mac Pro before the holidays. As for another even, I don't see why they would. They will have much of the same hardware as the MB and MBP just received. Hopefully the new iMacs come out in November so I can get my dad to buy one, then I can take his 22" and use dual monitor with my brand new MBP!! He really wants an iMac and if they release new ones then he will probably pull the trigger and buy one. Hopefully they will come with 2gb DDR3 ram standard up to 4 or 8gb. Also have a 9400 stock and upgradeable to a 9600gt.

Nov 6, 2007
Apple releasing everything now... What in the world will be in store for Macworld. All that would leave is the Mac Pro and the Mini. Macworld sees new products, so maybe a tablet. But given SJ's keynote on touchscreen, I doubt it. Netbook, nah Stevie did not seem thrilled with that aspect either.

so that just leaves software....

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
let's hope that they also replace the $1.99 screens in the current iMacs... i'm on my 4th, and it still sucks...

i wonder if the new iMacs have LED displays, if they'll throw one of those into mine when i send this in for a screen replacement... assuming the new LED displays don't also suffer from gradients and bleedout...

TheManOfSilver

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Canada
I'm thinking quiet update, including LED backlight (environmental status), DisplayPort (given after Steve's comments) and the new Nvidia chipset to make use of Snow Leopard's support for OpenCL (since Snow Leopard may come out before the next iMac refresh). Only I imagine the full lineup will get a discrete graphics chip rather than just the 9400M since power use is not such an issue in the iMac.

so that just leaves software....
Don't be so sure. The Mac Pro could still see a major refresh (aren't the server-class Nehalem chips due out by then?) plus rounding out the ACD lineup.

Then, they can finally bring out Apple TV Take 3 (or a renamed item) that truly solidifies Apple's place in the living room (maybe with or without actually producing HDTV's as other rumors have suggested).

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
Perhaps will see the new aluminum style get carried over to the iMacs? Along with LED backlit displays and pretty much all the new stuff in the Macbook line.

I'll probably be picking one up for home when the new ones are released. The current models are good but for $1299 I'd like to have abit more power and grunt under the hood. :)

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
Perhaps will see the new aluminum style get carried over to the iMacs? Along with LED backlit displays and pretty much all the new stuff in the Macbook line.

Aren't they already aluminum and what the new MacBooks were based on? Aluminum and black with glass?

TheManOfSilver

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Canada
get ready for apple to continue to rape the consumer market by killing imac support of firewire as well . . .

Maybe, maybe not ... the iMac's the one consumer product that has more room for extra ports and stuff ... I'm thinking they may include the one FW800 port as in the new MBP.

Adamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
I'd honestly love a new iMac 17", despite how small of a chance of getting one would be thanks to the 17" MBP which doesn't interest me in the slightest (not least because of cost). My only choice now is a white iMac 17" which I think I prefer the look of - my guess this new update is just a specs boost, nice to see/hear simply as it means they're keeping on top of their game.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Well I guess if your in the market for a iMac you better buy it now before apple offers a refresh that are crippled without FireWire.

Jak3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
well, the way I see it is as follows

if they do update anything more before the holidays it would either be the iMac or Mini, or both. Why? because they are consumer items and the holidays are about the consumer. Mac Pro can be left for MacWorld as only the lucky get a 2300$ computer for christmas. I'm guessing that might be where the 17" MBP gets an update as well, MacWorld.

fuziwuzi

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
Bris, Australia
I am interested what kind of bump would it be?

Better video cards?
More ram?
Slightly faster processors?

they might be switching solely to nvidia GPUs, as i am unsure that amd/ati support cuda instructions as yet. and cuda instructions may be needed for OpenCL in 10.6

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
they might be switching solely to nvidia GPUs, as i am unsure that amd/ati support cuda instructions as yet. and cuda instructions may be needed for OpenCL in 10.6

I'm surprised they are moving to Nvidia considering the fiasco recently with the failure rate of their 8400/8600 GPU's. With that being said, I'm surprised they didn't atleast refresh the white Macbook with the x4500 graphics card from Intel. Lord knows the Nvidia graphics cards are battery sucking hogs. I sure as hell am not going to purchase a laptop with a battery life barely eeking over 2 1/2 hours (but the vendor making exaggerated claims of 5 hours on their website)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.