PDA

View Full Version : No option for better battery life on new Macbook?

qwikrex
Oct 17, 2008, 11:34 PM
When I click the battery gauge on my white 13" macbook it gives me the option of a couple of different power profiles like normal, better energy savings, and better performance. On my new aluminum macbook these options are missing. Did apple update this or something for the new macbooks?

MGLXP
Oct 17, 2008, 11:53 PM
When I click the battery gauge on my white 13" macbook it gives me the option of a couple of different power profiles like normal, better energy savings, and better performance. On my new aluminum macbook these options are missing. Did apple update this or something for the new macbooks?

The Energy saving options on the new MacBook are different from the other models. The version of Mac OS X that comes with the MacBook is newer than the latest available one from Software Update.

qwikrex
Oct 19, 2008, 08:02 PM
Seemed like a pretty useful feature. Any reason why they removed it?

mobilehavoc
Oct 19, 2008, 08:10 PM
Yes this is bizzarre. Coming from Vista where there are multiple power management options it's odd there's no settings on the MB.

i.e. The display auto brightness doesn't change between battery and AC. So I just unplugged my power and it kept the brightness at 100% since I'm in a bright room. I had to manually reduce the brightness to save power.

Any ideas if there are alternative solutions for this?

Cozmo85
Oct 19, 2008, 08:42 PM
Yes this is bizzarre. Coming from Vista where there are multiple power management options it's odd there's no settings on the MB.

i.e. The display auto brightness doesn't change between battery and AC. So I just unplugged my power and it kept the brightness at 100% since I'm in a bright room. I had to manually reduce the brightness to save power.

Any ideas if there are alternative solutions for this?

There is an option to dim display when on battery power. Its under battery in energy options.

qwikrex
Oct 19, 2008, 09:19 PM
It would be nice to have a separate display brightness setting for when it's on the battery. My VAIO notebook running vista has this option. As far as having preset power profiles, I don't know why Apple would have this on the older white macbooks but remove the option from the OSX version that shipped with the new Aluminum macbooks.

abijnk
Oct 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
It would be nice to have a separate display brightness setting for when it's on the battery. My VAIO notebook running vista has this option. As far as having preset power profiles, I don't know why Apple would have this on the older white macbooks but remove the option from the OSX version that shipped with the new Aluminum macbooks.

:apple: -> System Preferences... -> Energy Saver -> Battery -> "Slightly dim the display when using this power source"

In reality, the same "profiles" are there, you just have to set them up manually.

qwikrex
Oct 19, 2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah. It would be nice to set the level of brightness though rather than just have it dim slightly.

pufftissue
Oct 20, 2008, 12:03 AM
Apple tends to keep things simple. Simple by definition is easier to use. Sometimes they take it too far, and this is one of those times. I wish that there was a master 'advanced' menu that you can enable and then all these options would come up. Then everyone else who wants a simple computer can click 'basic' menu and it'll keep everyone happy.

IOIIOOO
Oct 20, 2008, 10:12 PM
Are there any third party utilities that give Macs advanced power options?

Davidkoh
Oct 21, 2008, 12:44 AM
They will prolly add this feature again when they update the os ;) Atlest thats my belief.

IOIIOOO
Oct 21, 2008, 04:20 PM
They will prolly add this feature again when they update the os ;) Atlest thats my belief.

Seems unlikely as it sounds like they've removed functionality in the last update, not added to it.

What would be really nice would be the ability to have it sleep for a period of time, then hibernate automatically after that. Say, sleep for 1 hour, making the system fast to turn back on, but then hibernate after the hour, preserving battery life. I find that once I close my lid, I either go back right away for something else, or else I don't go back for a few days. This seems like it would have the best balance of functionality.

Can a third party utility do something like this, or would the fact the laptop is sleeping make a third party app unable to run?

Davidkoh
Oct 21, 2008, 05:49 PM
Seems unlikely as it sounds like they've removed functionality in the last update, not added to it.

What would be really nice would be the ability to have it sleep for a period of time, then hibernate automatically after that. Say, sleep for 1 hour, making the system fast to turn back on, but then hibernate after the hour, preserving battery life. I find that once I close my lid, I either go back right away for something else, or else I don't go back for a few days. This seems like it would have the best balance of functionality.

Can a third party utility do something like this, or would the fact the laptop is sleeping make a third party app unable to run?

Could of been an unintentional remove :p