Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
I just got a copy of jaguar and my first thoughts on it are so far so good
about ichat it not that good, the gui is nice but it doesn't compare to adium
I'm still trying it out and many of its features aren't avaliable yet
I will let you know more

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Well what do you expect from software that is still being worked on??? You download, or 'aquire' a version of the OS that has NOT been released yet, or even announce that it is finished, and you b*tch about parts not being as good as they could be? I wouldn't expect it all to be 100% until the official release. Apple could have put iChat on the back burner until more important parts of OS X 10.2 (or whatever you are calling jaguar) are finished. iChat could be finished just a week or so before the announcement, or however long it will take them to start the mass production (weeks not months before release).

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
let's not judge it based on an alpha for f***'s sake. if the version that ships with Jagwire is crap, then you're perfectly entitled to b*tch :)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by j763
let's not judge it based on an alpha for f***'s sake. if the version that ships with Jagwire is crap, then you're perfectly entitled to b*tch :)

FACT is Jaguar HAS NOT SHIPPED yet... DON'T judge software on pre-release versions or beta's, THAT is just plain stupid... Alright Stimpy??? :rolleyes:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by AlphaTech
FACT is Jaguar HAS NOT SHIPPED yet... DON'T judge software on pre-release versions or beta's, THAT is just plain stupid... Alright Stimpy??? :rolleyes:

Aren't you two arguing the same point? :confused:

iChat isn't great...but it's not bad either.

We'll see what the finished product looks like...

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
hes not b*tching

He said, "I'm still trying it out and many of its features aren't avaliable yet
I will let you know more."

He just wanted to let people know that he has a copy, he knows it pre-release, and as of now, iChat isn't that great in his opinion

I used iChat while I had Jaguar installed for a few days and its exteremly buggy. But if it wasn't buggy, it wouldn't be in beta now would it.

Lets all be civilized and not yell at people.
We all agree Jaguar is going to be a great product when it is released, aka when it is complete in the eyes of Apple.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: hes not b*tching

Originally posted by Bradcoe
We all agree Jaguar is going to be a great product when it is released, aka when it is complete in the eyes of Apple.

How about waiting to make statements about software being "not that good," at least until it is finished. Which will be when it ships with Jaguar. Once that happens, if it turns out to be junky/buggy, then at least it will be as a completed application. Rather then a beta, which are not known for stability, or even being complete (although some people seem to think that beta versions of browsers are the best there is, you know who you are, and what browsers I am talking about).

I prefer to judge full releases, not beta's. Like m$ orfice (for OS 9.x or X), and how nasty it can be for some people.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Whoa!!

Let's all calm down a little.

Alpha's right, but you have to realize that this was seeded to developers to create software for AND to critique.

What would be better than b*itching here would be to send Apple an anonymous email with suggestions on how to make iChat better.

-Pete

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by ptrauber
What would be better than b*itching here would be to send Apple an anonymous email with suggestions on how to make iChat better.

THAT would be an excellent idea. If you are part of the ADC group, then you don't need to be anonymous. If you are not in the ADC, then have the person you got it from send the email on your behaf (to avoid getting them in trouble).

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
I really hope that there is support for buddy icons, image transfer, and talk. anyone know about those things??

Inhale420

macrumors regular
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by AlphaTech

jaguar is the new os and ichat is just an application. i don't see your point.

adium and fire are also in their infancy stages, and they work pretty darn good.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Inhale420
jaguar is the new os and ichat is just an application. i don't see your point.

adium and fire are also in their infancy stages, and they work pretty darn good.

There's a HUGE difference between beta software and software in its "infancy", kemosabe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.