Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skipjakk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Not sure if this would be possible, but given the cube's logic board seems similar in size to the Macbooks, wondering if it would be possible to drop a macbook logic board in and run everything off the ports? (video, keyboard mouse). Any ideas?

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Not sure if this would be possible, but given the cube's logic board seems similar in size to the Macbooks, wondering if it would be possible to drop a macbook logic board in and run everything off the ports? (video, keyboard mouse). Any ideas?

If the motherboards are indeed the same size I don't see why this wouldn't be possible. You might have to do a little fancy work to get all the ports set up right but, conceptually, I can't think of a reason it would be impossible (that's assuming the same size motherboard). The question is why would you want to do it?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Why make a macbook Cube? Because you can drive the new Cinema LED Display from it and because there is no update to the Mac Mini (yet or never)?

I think it is a cool idea.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
That would be a pretty cool case mod! I hope that you do it and take lots of detailed pictures too. If you are handy with a soldering gun, moving ports around shouldn't be that difficult to make it look factory - on the outside at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.