Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Northern California
I’m having a really hard time deciding between the MB and MBP. I like the size/form factor of the MB, but I like the performance, and bigger/higher quality screen of the MBP.

MBP Pros & Cons from my perspective:
+Large screen, higher rez
+Discreet GPU (to play occasional games, Starcraft 2, I’m looking at you…)
+High quality LCD panel (still looks good at extreme angles)
+Possibility that Snow Leopard might be able to offload CPU activities to the GPU, significantly increasing overall performance of non-graphics CPU intensive activities
-Might be larger and heavier than I really want to carry around
-Mediocre screen resolution for this screen size… could we have a higher rez option?

MP Pros & Cons:
+Great size and weight, easier to carry around and travel with (I do a lot of business travel)
+Lower cost than MBP
-Mediocre screen resolution for this screen size… I want 1440x900 on a 13in screen, not the lame 1280x800
-Issues with negative blacks and color distortions when viewing LCD at any angle
-Lack of expresscard slot

This would be my first Apple laptop. I’ve had an iMac for a couple years now, and I’m really enjoying OSX. I would like this laptop to become my main machine. I would use it as my work machine during the day, probably running VM Ware constantly for non-Mac work related software. Regardless of which one I choose, I would upgrade to 4GB ram, as constantly running VM Ware/WinXP would definitely benefit. During after hours, I would be using it for web surfing, occasional games, photo editing, occasional photoshop work, maybe light video editing in a year or two when I start having kids, and ripping/converting video files.

Help me out… which Macbook /Pro should I get? Do you have any other significant Pros & Cons that I should consider and add to my list?

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I'm in a very similiar situation and I was debating the same things. Coming from a white macbook, I've decided to go the Pro. It's only a bit bigger, but it will last longer and when games like Starcraft 2 come out you can enjoy the fact that you can run it with settings turned up no problem. The only reason I'm going for the MBP is the extra graphics card, and you seem to have more reasons such as the higher resolution etc, I think get the mbp for sure.

edit-
Also, you can replace your iMac with the macbook pro and just get an external screen if you want even more screen resolution. Since you're thinking of starting a family soon I'd get the pro since it can last longer than a Macbook, with Snow Leopard taking more GPU power and future games coming out I think you will be happier with the pro. With extra costs of starting a family, and the macbook starting to feel sluggish compared to new laptops with Snow Leopard in a couple years, you may not have the funds to upgrade so just get the best machine you can afford while you can.

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
I was also having the same dilemma. I'm replacing a white Macbook, which I've recently sold.

I got seduced by the extra power, and ordered a Macbook Pro on the launch day.

I've now thought about it for a few days, and I've just cancelled my order and ordered a Macbook instead!

I decided that I don't really need the extra power (I rarely play games), and I'd prefer that extra bit of portability. With the money I saved, I've ordered a Time Capsule and Aperture, and suddenly I feel a lot more comfortable with my purchase.

I'll hold on to my iMac too.

It's up to you to decide what you need most. For me it was power versus portability. Good luck with your decision :eek:

jjh5

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2005
Central Phoenix
Same here

Yup, I'm in the same boat.

I'm a web designer and amateur photographer who runs Photoshop and Aperture fairly extensively. I currently have an older MacBook Pro, but am leaning towards the 2.4Ghz MacBook to save some cash.

The screen size is not an issue, since I run a 24" external monitor. I don't carry my laptop around a ton, but it would nice to shave a pound when I do.

I'm just wondering if I'll be kicking myself later not getting the extra graphic processing power and the 320gb 7200 rpm drive option. (I know I can always install a bigger drive later on, but it would be nice to just get it now.)

Also, anyone heard of any potential issues with the MB or MBPs? (ie. Whining, heat)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.