PDA

View Full Version : www.sco.com is a weapon of mass destruction

Nermal
Jan 31, 2004, 05:38 PM
Well I thought it was funny (http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/01/30/wwwscocom_is_a_weapon_of_mass_destruction.html).

Mr. Anderson
Jan 31, 2004, 06:04 PM
Solution 3: Point www.sco.com at someone you donít like.

Consequences: SCO Executives take a poll on which web site annoys them the most. Slashdot wins. hostmaster@sco.com CNames www.sco.com to slashdot.org. SCO Execs cackle demonically at the prospect of slashdotting Slashdot.

oh that's a good one :D

I think the comment above about the fact the SCO really doesn't *need* a web site is even more telling, though :p

D

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2004, 06:17 PM
Solution 5: SCO Execs point www.sco.com at the loopback address 127.0.0.1, end lawsuits, dismiss lawyers, and invest remaining corporate cash reserves in call options in Dell & Microsoft stock.

Consequences: No denial of service traffic whatsoever seen on the Internet. Millions of Windows users notice that their computer is running extremely slowly. Many buy new machines, which fixes the problem. Dell & Microsoft stock rises. Everyone lives happily ever after.
Winner! :cool:

Phatpat
Jan 31, 2004, 08:40 PM
sco.com seems to be down already for me. They had it coming :)

edit: or not SCO slowed, but not by worm (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world_business/view/68946/1/.html)

Nermal
Jan 31, 2004, 08:53 PM
Yeah, down for me too. Now they just need to bring microsoft.com down too :D

alset
Jan 31, 2004, 10:59 PM
Meanwhile, SCO continues to make life difficult for the Linux community. Darl McBride parallels Bush by claiming stolen code in Linux, similar to WMD in Iraq. SCO blamed the OSS community for the MyDoom virus to a libelous (had they said it about a company or individual) degree. Bah! Nothing funny about this mess.

Dan

MrMacMan
Feb 1, 2004, 01:25 AM
sco.com seems pretty dead for me...

It looks like they took the full on attack.

Good for them... idiots

My ping at their IP has not been replyied and the web address aint moving.

GJ virus creator.
:p

MrMacMan
Feb 1, 2004, 11:10 PM
www2.sco.com

<--- is able to talk web trafic

They did this to divert the traffic coming at them.

Awimoway
Feb 2, 2004, 01:13 AM
For all the funny suggestions, SCO actually did go with one of them: Number 2. And its prediction that the media would declare victory for the virus authors is also coming true. And I suppose it is true, more or less.

SiliconAddict
Feb 2, 2004, 07:11 AM
*chuckles* I was contemplating setting up a computer just to infect it with My Doom to aid in the DoS of SCO. I hate that company with a passion. :mad: I really wish someone would buy them out, run the company into the ground, and then aid everyone other then the execs in finding new jobs. That company deserves to be guillotined

SiliconAddict
Feb 2, 2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
www2.sco.com

<--- is able to talk web trafic

They did this to divert the traffic coming at them.

Somewhat pointless since 99.9987% of the world only uses www. If the virus writer was really inventive they could have the virus look on a specific newsgroup on a specific day to update itself to DoS a new URL. So say someone posted on alt.destroy.microsoft a text file called 16893647001.txt or something (Make it a random number so there is no chance of someone else posting) with updated URLs that would be a workable way to continue the DoS. Then again AV companies could put out an e-mail to ISPs to block that file. (Since they disassemble the virus/worm code and look and see what it does.)

SiliconAddict
Feb 2, 2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
sco.com seems pretty dead for me...

It looks like they took the full on attack.

Good for them... idiots

My ping at their IP has not been replyied and the web address aint moving.

GJ virus creator.
:p

Ping is no longer a good way of determining if a site is up or not since many web sites have closed the ports that use ping. Example. Try pinging microsoft.com