Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maximus38

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I am in the frustrating position of having to buy a brand new Windows XP disk to use on bootcamp, even though I have a perfectly good one already that just doesn't happen to have Service Pack 2. Leaving any more discussions about Microsoft ripping people off for the time being, is it possible to buy an OEM disk (for about £50) instead of the 'proper' version (around £150?) I don't even know what OEM means, except that apparently it is meant to be used for system builders only.......are they the same in essence?

deorg

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
I am in the frustrating position of having to buy a brand new Windows XP disk to use on bootcamp, even though I have a perfectly good one already that just doesn't happen to have Service Pack 2. Leaving any more discussions about Microsoft ripping people off for the time being, is it possible to buy an OEM disk (for about £50) instead of the 'proper' version (around £150?) I don't even know what OEM means, except that apparently it is meant to be used for system builders only.......are they the same in essence?

I would recomend to torrent it, but if you wish to buy one, buy the oem, I will come the disc only maybe not even a proper cd case, just a dirty cd, thats oem, thats why is chepear. And it will also do the work.

Trainwreck707

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Do a search for slipstreaming SP2. You should be able to use your copy of Windows and create a new disc that includes SP2.

I just installed an OEM version of Windows and it would work fine as well. The difference between an OEM and retail version of Windows is that the OEM version can only legally be installed on one computer (you can't use it if you get a new computer).

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I just installed an OEM version of Windows and it would work fine as well. The difference between an OEM and retail version of Windows is that the OEM version can only legally be installed on one computer (you can't use it if you get a new computer).

I think you have reversed the OEM and the Retail version.

Maximus38

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
guys thanks for the input....jag I have to say I'm tempted to try out your suggestion but it looks INCREDIBLY complicated, I can see myself spending many frustrating hours trying to figure out at which stage did I do something slightly wrong........I guess the alternative is Vista but I only have a max 2GB of RAM on my iMac, so I'm still leaning towards Windows XP despite all its flaws. I'll try out the OEM..........

Maximus38

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
guys thanks for the input....jag I have to say I'm tempted to try out your suggestion but it looks INCREDIBLY complicated, I can see myself spending many frustrating hours trying to figure out at which stage did I do something slightly wrong........I guess the alternative is Vista but I only have a max 2GB of RAM on my iMac, so I'm still leaning towards Windows XP despite all its flaws. I'll try out the OEM..........

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Use nLite to make the SP2 slipstream or go ahead with SP3 and save a lot of time with updates. I use this for making custom install discs and it is quite easy. There are guides online for more in depth customizing. However for a simple slipstream it prompts you at each step. Once done slipstreaming you can create a burnable .iso file with nLite or burn directly to disc (personally I create the .iso and use Nero BurningROM)

SP2 download
SP3 Download

I would also integrate Internet Explorer 7 into the install disc using nLite.

Though more difficult I would also integrate Windows Media Player 11 and hotfixes with WMP11 slipstreamer
Slipstreamer download page also has Windows Media Player and hotfixes for download (use the WMP slipstreamer after integrating SP2 or SP3 with nLite afterwards use nLite to slipstream IE7 and any other mods to the install)

All of this assumes you still have a Windows machine.

Trainwreck707

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
I think you have reversed the OEM and the Retail version.

Nope. Microsoft's OEM license forbids the software from being installed on a whole new PC (legally)—it is permanently tied to the original computer. The retail version may be installed on a new computer as long as it is uninstalled from the previous one.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer

Let's say you buy a Dell the windows disk you get will be a Dell OEM disk. Most of the time (not all) these are version of windows set up for that computer. Lots of junk programs, but also things specific to that computer. Trick is getting one that will work correctly.

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
I bought the OEM version of XP with SP2 on the disk, and I now have SP3 downloaded. The whole thing works flawlessly.

I also believe that it's licensed to one computer only and is non-transferable.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
you dont need a xp sp2 disk. install xp then have sp2 on a cd install that before you install the drivers. you can install and oem copy on a mac it will work. i see people installing dell xp on other systems. legally probably not but who cares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.