PDA

View Full Version : Is the viewing angle that bad?

daneoni
Oct 18, 2008, 01:04 PM
Im currently mulling over whether to buy one of the new GlassBooks as one forum user calls them but this (http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review) Gizmodo review about the bad viewing angles is making me think twice.

Is it really that bad and more importantly is the screen superior to a 12" PowerBook's screen in terms of veiwing angles?

acfusion29
Oct 18, 2008, 01:10 PM
Gizmodo is retarded. My MacBook is fine.

delude
Oct 18, 2008, 01:48 PM
Honestly the angles are fine, I experimented with them in my local Apple store today and it always looked perfect.

cheapa55
Oct 18, 2008, 02:00 PM
I started a thread about it a couple of days ago. Wasn't sure about it either. I still bought it. I dont' regret it at all. i can say it's not the best viewing angle, but it's not bad either. I adjust the screen tilt occasionally but if it's sitting on a desk, you won't notice it.

The only issue is if you like to show off pics or movies and someone else is at different angles behind you looking at the screen.

but from a personal point of view, it's a great monitor.

go get one!

nostalg1a
Oct 18, 2008, 02:14 PM
I am really curious about this as well. I was going to buy a MacBook already but the issue of bad viewing angle (from Gizmodo) stopped me from buying and instead reconsider the new MBP.

Roller
Oct 18, 2008, 02:17 PM
Im currently mulling over whether to buy one of the new GlassBooks as one forum user calls them but this (http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review) Gizmodo review about the bad viewing angles is making me think twice.

Is it really that bad and more importantly is the screen superior to a 12" PowerBook's screen in terms of veiwing angles?

The screen definitely washes out as your vantage point moves vertically above the center line. But I've had my MB since yesterday, and it's not been objectionable. I was much more concerned about the glossy screen, having upgraded from a 15" PowerBook, but that's been fine, too.

DMC-12
Oct 18, 2008, 02:33 PM
The MacBook screens are definitely of much lower quality than those of the Pros. The vertical viewing angle is the biggest factor, and many of them look extremely washed-out. It seems that Apple is using similar quality display on the new MBs as they did on the previous. My black MacBook's display is much worse than even my $500 HP's.

This is definitely one area in which one shouldn't let others try to blur the distinction between the MB and MBP. I am doing whatever I can to sell my MB and get the previous gen. Pro (matte display) because the display quality is so much higher.

UltraMegaMan
Oct 18, 2008, 02:38 PM
Judging from the different replies, it looks like it's entirely up to your own expectations and experience with other displays. This means that you'll have to make a trip to a store. :)

Jollins
Oct 18, 2008, 03:09 PM
I'm perfectly happy with my MB screen, and I'm picky about screens. It's better than all the PC laptop screens I've used.

Regarding the viewing angles compared to the MBP: It could be that it's easier to make 15.4" screens with good viewing angles than it is on 13.3" screens. 15.4" has been around longer. That's just a guess though.

illian
Oct 18, 2008, 03:18 PM
I'm perfectly happy with my MB screen, and I'm picky about screens. It's better than all the PC laptop screens I've used.

Regarding the viewing angles compared to the MBP: It could be that it's easier to make 15.4" screens with good viewing angles than it is on 13.3" screens. 15.4" has been around longer. That's just a guess though.

i really don't think so...take a look at the Macbook air...this is the screen the new macbook should have.

well i do have to wait another 3weeks before my mb arrives (aaaawesome)...if it is that bad i'll just return it...not spending 1100 for a crappy screen. :mad:

decksnap
Oct 18, 2008, 03:23 PM
The macbooks have the worst screens that have ever existed in a Mac product as far as I'm concerned, and I've used pretty much all of them.

mac jones
Oct 18, 2008, 03:27 PM
The macbooks have the worst screens that have ever existed in a Mac product as far as I'm concerned, and I've used pretty much all of them.

Don't listen to this fellow folks

decksnap
Oct 18, 2008, 03:46 PM
Don't listen to this fellow folks

You don't have to listen to me, the pictures suffice. You can't really watch a movie on a Macbook and not see this kind of washout.

eGraeme
Oct 18, 2008, 03:50 PM
i just got back from seeing the new MBs at the apple store
i was desperately clinging to the idea that the screen would be immensely unacceptable and i could talk myself out of desperately NEEEEEEDING it
(especially after those gizmodo pics!)
however.. i walked in, and from that door to the far left wall angle, it looked great! so i got closer and moved around all over to any position id be in while actually using it... and saw no problem whatsoever.
ok mebbe the blacks werent super black, but just by itself(not by a mbp) i wasnt thinking anything even similar to "oh this sucks, these blacks are horrid! this viewing angle is OUTRAGEOUS! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!"
i left feeling spazzing and about to call my CC Co and ask for my limit to get raised! lol
i NEEEEEEEEEEEED ONE!
so small, so sturdy, so purdy!
i just tested it watching the italian job trailer that comes in the stores iTunes
but it looked fine to me!
if i was using it to watch blurays or something, i might be more picky and tryin to talk myself into the mbp screen for more black levels(err and hd level resolution, lol), but i can easily see myself watching movies on the mb and loving it!
so i say, even if its a 2 hr drive... make a day trip out of it, and go see them in person and check for yourself.
i was CONVINCED id hate the screen and i was going to be GLAD to hate it so id not be OBSESSING over NEEEEEEEEDING a MB
however... it just wasnt the case
and i tried hard to make it look bad(in any actual useable angle/distances)
and yes, i remember the real old screens years ago where you could move .00000001 inch to the left or right and the screen colors would be flipping out all crazy into negative colors!
i didnt notice a difference between it, and my mbp from feb.

MUST
HAVE
ONE!

also, someone in one of these threads was talking about the gap in their trackpad on the left side, i looked at them all at my store, and not one of them was inproperly spaced as yours was... just in case youre reading this :)

tafb
Oct 18, 2008, 03:52 PM
Judging from the different replies, it looks like it's entirely up to your own expectations and experience with other displays. This means that you'll have to make a trip to a store. :)

Exactly. Being used to the MBP display, I found the new MB display to be annoying because of the vertical viewing angle and ultimately returned it. I think if you have been using a MBP, then you may be disappointed. If have been using a prior gen macbook, I suspect that you will find the new display to be a good upgrade based on the backlighting.

netddos
Oct 18, 2008, 04:13 PM

That's not why Apple didn't use higher quality displays on the new Macbook.

The decision was made mostly to cut cost.

duffyanneal
Oct 18, 2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah after reading quite a few of the not so hot display reviews I thought the display would be crap. Top that off with the pics from Giz and my hopes of picking up a new MB were pretty deflated. Well last night I saw my first new MB at BB. The display was a 9c8c and over all it was quite good. I thought that maybe I got lucky and found a good display model. I mean some people here are saying that every one they have seen is bad and that was not the case with me last night. I'm not a newb and I'm very picky about my notebooks. I've owned over 50 notebooks over the past 10 or so years so I've had a chance to get to know a few. That includes fairly recent MBP's, MBA's, and MB's. Honestly, the display last night had good colors, decent viewing angles, and good contrast. Definitely, in the same league as my last MBA.

Fast forward to today. I stopped by the local Apple Store and had a chance to look at six different MBs. All six had 9c8c displays and none looked like the pictures on Giz. Maybe the Giz unit had a different screen manufacturer or possibly a bad display. But with complete certainty the machines I looked at today had good colors, viewing angles, and contrast. For sure the viewing angles weren't as good as the MBP's, but I could adjust the display where the color and contrast was uniform from top to bottom. There was wiggle room so I didn't have to be exactly in the sweet spot to see the display without washing out. I've seen some very poor MB displays in the older models and they were truly horrible. A good check is to put up a black background (the built in earth wallpaper works well too) and look for shiny spots where the colors are reversing while moving the display. I did that test today and the MBs looked fine.

The MBP's had/have their own unique problems. I haven't heard too much talk as of yet about the new displays, but the previous models had a definite problem with a yellow band in the bottom 1/3 of the display as well as dark vertical stripes.

So with my hands on testing today I'm going forward with a MB purchase in the near future. For those still questioning the display quality go out and look for yourself. When you do try to position the display so you don't have as much glare from the overhead lighting. Apple Stores are extremely bright and play havoc on glossy displays.

Ozzymandos
Oct 18, 2008, 04:56 PM
I'm no fan boy, but mine doesn't look anything like the Gizmodo shots.

I'm thinking they were using a defective model. I watched Iron Man last night and it looked great, even from slightly left of center.

*shrug*

CaptainCaveMann
Oct 18, 2008, 05:41 PM
I think maybe Gizmodos pictures, could possibly over exaggerate the viewing angles. It sounds like in person, to the naked eye, they aren't that bad. This is why I always prefer to see them in person and make my own decision. I don't rely on online reviews, because those guys see 100's of laptops all the time, and they will be far more picky than I would. I have owned three apple laptops in the last 3 years, two of them were iBooks and one was a TiBook. Considering I was very happy with the TiBook's screen, think I'll be happy with the new laptops? Me to. :D

decksnap
Oct 18, 2008, 06:13 PM
The screens in both of those models you mention are better than the macbook screens. Just saying.

I don't think it's a mystery- anybody with an existing (old) macbook knows what these screens are like.

daneoni
Oct 18, 2008, 07:25 PM
So the consensus is that they're good screens although sub-par to the MBP/MBA?

jigo
Oct 18, 2008, 07:45 PM
I just got back from the apple store and was not too impressed with the MB screen. I guess from reading all the praise here my expectations were a little too high. The problem was with the vertical viewing angle. It was plenty bright and the vertical angle was good enough.

The vertical viewing angle didn't seem much better than my 12" PB which doesn't have that great of a screen.

Then walking over to the MBP, that screen look great. But I don't want something that big or expensive.

I'm sure i'll get the MB soon anyway. The screen is good enough, just not amazing as some seem to think.

CaptainCaveMann
Oct 18, 2008, 07:48 PM
Ok just got back from the Apple store, I had to see these things in person. I was wrong for assuming the macbook screen would be better than a TiBook screen. The TiBook screen in my opinion is far superior. The new macbook DOES have a washed out look to it. It doesn't look CRISP, in fact it almost looks a little blurry. The macbook pro looks to be much better, it has better viewing angles, darker blacks, and seems to be crisper.

I think with a screen like that, the macbook should be priced back at the $999 mark. If it had a better display I could justify the price. But around 1400 for a computer that doesn't even have a great display, I dunno. Just wouldn't feel right.

Here is what I'm thinking and hoping. The new Nvidia gpu in these macbook's is just that, new. And from what I hear the macbook is the first computer to have one. So maybe it's a driver issue? Anyone who has actually seen and compared the new macbook screen to the new macbook pro screen, please chime in and let us know what you think. But from my observations today, that's what I gathered. :cool:

But to be honest, I'll probably buy a new macbook is a couple months. Hopefully the screen will be better by then. The macbook pro to me is just to expensive to justify buying one, even though it has a better screen. It's also a little to big. I wish Apple would come back out with a 15 inch laptop that has a footprint similar to that of the old TiBook. That was a great computer and the perfect size in my opinion. It had a very thin bezel around the display which it how they made it so small without sacrificing the screen size.

YouArentJ
Oct 18, 2008, 07:52 PM
The old macbooks weren't any better... probably wont get any better

acfusion29
Oct 18, 2008, 08:12 PM
Here is a picture of my MacBook from the side while playing Accepted.

Plus, I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but who the **** watches movies on their computer on an angle? Like c'mon...

Click (http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7015/img0027ah0.jpg)
iPhone picture.

MGLXP
Oct 18, 2008, 08:27 PM

The viewing angle is OK, but not nearly as good as the MacBook Air and definitely the MacBook Pro. You have to be pretty much at the right angle to get a good picture with the MacBook. The MacBook Air and MacBook Pro also have better contrast, with richer colours and deeper blacks. But again, I guess it depends on your expectations and what kind of displays you have seen before. If you've seen the amazing S-IPS displays, you will be disappointed; on the other hand, if you're used to a 12'' Powerbook (which along with the iBook had one of the worst displays I have seen in a notebook), the MacBook display is worlds better than that.

robby818
Oct 18, 2008, 08:33 PM
i kept looking at a MB in the Apple store and couldn't get it to look as bad as the Gizmodo review. then i lowered my head below the desk adn that did it. the Gizmodo pictures are taken from the side & below...it's the below part (vertical angle) that makes the screen look so bad.

The MB screen is OK, just OK. It's much brighter than the previous MB which is something that was badly needed but that new brightness is not accompanied by the amazing depth of color that is found on both the MBP and MBA.

I thought it was all about the LED lighting but apparently you need both a high quality panel and the LED backlightng to get that almost 3-d look found on the MBP and MBA.

eXan
Oct 18, 2008, 09:05 PM
Knowing that older MB's screen is piss-poor, I'd like a side-by-side shot with the new MB.

brettinlj
Oct 18, 2008, 09:17 PM
The only way to judge is in person. I did this today at the Mac Store in SF. From an angle, the screen on the MB washes out faster at an angle than the MBP and MBA. That being said, it is still a great screen. My partner has a 2006 vintage MBP and his screen washes out, but in a different way (gets darker).

The way I see it, the MBP should have a better screen as it costs a lot more. This screen is still better than the old LCD's, and is good enough for someone on either side of you to watch a movie with you without losing much quality. If a whole living room of people are watching a movie with you, get a MBP or connect your MB to an external screen.

Dybbuk
Oct 18, 2008, 10:14 PM
Just a note, MacBooks always have ****** default calibrations.

MGLXP
Oct 18, 2008, 10:23 PM
Just a note, MacBooks always have ****** default calibrations.

So true...the default profile for the MBA/MBP/MB looks bad on all three. Thankfully, for the MBA and MBP, people in the forum had performed proper calibrations (and uploaded the calibrated screen profile) that made the screens look a lot better. Hopefully, someone will do the same for the MB.

Dybbuk
Oct 18, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'll do one for the MB if no one else has once it arrives.

MGLXP
Oct 18, 2008, 11:16 PM

Please do...the default profile for the MB looks washed out.

Dybbuk
Oct 18, 2008, 11:32 PM
Please do...the default profile for the MB looks washed out.

You can do one yourself fairly easily using the program SuperCal.

Primejimbo
Oct 18, 2008, 11:38 PM
I don't think it's bad at all.

BoingoBongo
Oct 18, 2008, 11:56 PM
It's about the same as my Feb '07 WhiteBook. I don't think it's very bad at all.

The quality of the screen definitely seems to be improved though. Side by side, there's no comparison.

Clayne
Oct 19, 2008, 12:34 AM
Does anyone else notices the light of their screen getting dimmer and brighter as they use it, or is it just me? Maybe it's just my eyes...but I could swear it gets dim for a few seconds than gets brighter again. It might only be happening when it's plugged in...I haven't tested it without yet

Also, I'd be interested in calibrating the new screens if anyone has info on that.

Dybbuk
Oct 19, 2008, 12:43 AM
Does anyone else notices the light of their screen getting dimmer and brighter as they use it, or is it just me? Maybe it's just my eyes...but I could swear it gets dim for a few seconds than gets brighter again. It might only be happening when it's plugged in...I haven't tested it without yet

Also, I'd be interested in calibrating the new screens if anyone has info on that.

Are you using the 2.4? Could be the ambient light sensor.

BoingoBongo
Oct 19, 2008, 12:50 AM
Yeah, it's the ambient light sensor.

It works pretty well, but maybe it goes kind of crazy if you're in an oddly lit area? You can turn it off in the computer's settings. :)

I like it though. It's very smooth.

brettinlj
Oct 19, 2008, 03:14 AM
Are you using the 2.4? Could be the ambient light sensor.

Does only the 2.4 MB have an ambient light sensor?

eXan
Oct 19, 2008, 03:31 AM
Does only the 2.4 MB have an ambient light sensor?

Why don't you check if your 2.0 has it?

I doubt it does though because it doesn't make a lot of sense without kb backlighting.

bartelby
Oct 19, 2008, 03:33 AM
Why don't you check if your 2.0 has it?

I doubt it does though because it doesn't make a lot of sense without kb backlighting.

It controls the screen brightness too...

goofyfoot
Oct 19, 2008, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, I'll mostly be using the MB for writing--black text on white background. Would greatly appreciate your observations about how text looks on the new MB vs. MBA. (We live several hours from a Mac Store, so I'll need to order sight unseen.)

Also, if your main use were for writing, would the extra $500 for the MBA be worth it to you, or does the new MB help level the playing field? When all you do is write, you don't have the distraction of movement on the screen, so it's pretty much all about display-keyboard interaction, and the feel of the thing on your lap. (Could be that the extra weight of MB makes for a better for overall feel, maybe not.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

daneoni
Oct 19, 2008, 12:46 PM
So i went to the stores to check the screen myself and yeah it does look washed out at first glance but then i calibrated it right then and there and the results were night and day. The screen became much more palatable and very usable to me at least and it is superior to last gen's screens

Does the viewing angle suck?...absolutely but it really isn't THAT bad. I think i can now order one without trepidation but i dont want to wait i want one now and all stores are out of stock...grrr

TFMTASAD
Oct 19, 2008, 12:56 PM
The screen is allright. It's not as good as the MBA or the MBP but still it is much better than the previous generation. I went in the store thinking that they would be total crap, but honestly I just couldn't find anything wrong with it. There is no way someone can look at the screen and say "It's unusable", It's a good screen, not the best but still a good one.

netddos
Oct 19, 2008, 12:59 PM
So i went to the stores to check the screen myself and yeah it does look washed out at first glance but then i calibrated it right then and there and the results were night and day. The screen became much more palatable and very usable to me at least and it is superior to last gen's screens

Does the viewing angle suck?...absolutely but it really isn't THAT bad. I think i can now order one without trepidation but i dont want to wait i want one now and all stores are out of stock...grrr

Please tell me how you calibrate the thing.

Thanks.

daneoni
Oct 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
Please tell me how you calibrate the thing.

Thanks.

Go to System Preferences>Display>Color>Calibrate.

I choose expert mode and then play around with the sliders. Some prefer to use Supercal (http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/) but i find Apple's utility to be suffice

everlast77
Oct 19, 2008, 01:23 PM

Can u please do a good color-profile for the new alu macbook.
The original one is not good !

//Everlast

KamiNoYadoru
Oct 19, 2008, 08:25 PM
This thread is exactly what I was looking for, I'm coming from a current gen macbook air and this put me back into the entry level pro camp. I don't really want to get a downgrade from the air screen even if I don't want to deal with the size of the pro. Ideally I'd like a next gen air but the storage is still just not going to do it, especially since they haven't moved up on speed or cooling yet. Maybe if the new 1.83 ghz air gets decent cooling from the unibody and gets away from the core shutdown issues I'll be able to consider it. Now I WANT the glass screen after seeing the MBs in person, though. :)

It's a shame, if Apple put a high end screen in the new MBs I'd be able to go to them as my one and only computer. Guess I'll get a Pro and see how it goes.

nidserz
Oct 20, 2008, 03:00 PM
I just got my MB 2.4 this morning and the screen looks really washed out compared to my iMac.
I will put it side by side to my cousins new MBP and my sisters MBA.
It isn't unusable, is much better than the previous MB, but it kinda makes me want the MBA instead.

I changed the calibration to the 2.2 Television Gamma so it looks like there is a little more contrast.

I'm not sure how this will fair when I try to work on some photography.

Tummy
Oct 20, 2008, 03:16 PM
How do you know what screen type you're using? Where do you find the 4 digit part number someone posted here?

I think the screen is pretty crappy in comparison to my old Macbook Air. I'm thinking of returning the MB and waiting for the new Air. I'm going to greatly miss the MB performance increase in comparison, but I don't think I can live with the crappy screen. Gives me eye strain looking at it and makes my cheap Samsung 24" TN display look really good in comparison.

1appleAday
Oct 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
I went to the Apple store this weekend and found that while the new MB design is nice, the picture quality of its screen is still not as good as the new MBP or MBA. The color on the MB screen is just not as vivid and rich as the other two. Kind of disappointed at that. :(

BoingoBongo
Oct 20, 2008, 06:28 PM
I went to the Apple store this weekend and found that while the new MB design is nice, the picture quality of its screen is still not as good as the new MBP or MBA. The color on the MB screen is just not as vivid and rich as the other two. Kind of disappointed at that. :(

I kind of noticed that too when I was at the Apple Store, but once I got my MB home, I was really impressed. Especially when I compared it to my old white MacBook. The screen is great. :)

goofyfoot
Oct 20, 2008, 06:37 PM
I will put it side by side to my cousins new MBP and my sisters MBA.

Would appreciate it if you looked at some word processing type on them--if you had to stare at the screen for hours on end, does there seem to be a difference, and does the extra $500 for the MBA seem justified?

Thanks!

ageha
Oct 20, 2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah, the new MB looks pretty dull compared to the Air and the MBP. Anyway even the new MBP looks not very vivid compared to dual lamp or RGB LED notebooks from other makers.

nidserz
Oct 21, 2008, 01:47 AM
im really worried about the new macbook's screen. i know its a big improvement compared to the old one but im just not that happy with it but i guess we cant have everything...MBA is for portability but not as powerful...MBP is too big/not portable and great screen.

i am comparing it to my 20" imac, which is known to not have the best screen, but the colors on the MB are killing me. so washed out and im worried this will affect my photography. most of my photography will be done on my iMac, but when i'm away it would be ice to work on my graphics and photos.

what do you guys think? will i be okay?
i just need some assurance i made the right choice...im really trying to love the MB, except the spacebar clicks REALLY loudly/lose (unlike my sister's MBA and my wired aluminum keyboard) and the washed out colors.

its strange too because the brighter i make the screen the more washed out it looks!

anybody have any advice on what to do?
thanks

eXan
Oct 21, 2008, 01:57 AM
im really worried about the new macbook's screen. i know its a big improvement compared to the old one but im just not that happy with it but i guess we cant have everything...MBA is for portability but not as powerful...MBP is too big/not portable and great screen.

i am comparing it to my 20" imac, which is known to not have the best screen, but the colors on the MB are killing me. so washed out and im worried this will affect my photography. most of my photography will be done on my iMac, but when i'm away it would be ice to work on my graphics and photos.

what do you guys think? will i be okay?
i just need some assurance i made the right choice...im really trying to love the MB, except the spacebar clicks REALLY loudly/lose (unlike my sister's MBA and my wired aluminum keyboard) and the washed out colors.

its strange too because the brighter i make the screen the more washed out it looks!

anybody have any advice on what to do?
thanks

Calibrate. Either do it yourself or search for ready color profiles for your MB model around the Net.

Clayne
Oct 21, 2008, 02:06 AM
are there any calibrations for the new models yet? I just set it to 2.2 gamma so far.

everlast77
Oct 21, 2008, 02:37 AM
Can someone please post a good color-profile for the alu macbook here, so I can download it.

//Everlast

byke
Oct 21, 2008, 02:45 AM
An email I sent to apple ... the more demand the better the chance.
feel free to copy and paste to sjobs@apple.com

Dear Sir,
I am one of the many Apple users who is looking for a small version of
the MBP. And while your latest macbook releases are a great step forward
in design and options, many of us still feel that there is too larger gap
separating the the 3 current laptop models (MB, MBP, MBA).

While many of us are excited with the new MB range, we would still like
to see an extra option configuration made available for it. I am one of
the many who would like the option of being able to purchase a higher
quality 13" screen if required that is more in line with the MBP quality
while shopping for a laptop from the apple store.

I am submitting this request in the hopes of it coming into reality and feel
this option would be more feasible for Apple to offer. As it wouldn't effect
the case etc.

Please conceder this as an option as many of us, are looking for a small
quality macbook.

Cheers & good health

Name ___________________

i0Nic
Oct 21, 2008, 03:05 AM
Do you really find the MBP to not be portable? It's only a little bigger and heavier than the macbook. I guess it depends on how often you take it with you and what else you carry.

ibosie
Oct 21, 2008, 04:19 AM
Do you really find the MBP to not be portable? It's only a little bigger and heavier than the macbook. I guess it depends on how often you take it with you and what else you carry.

Yep, my Silverbook Pro weighs like an elephant after a short while on the shoulder. The Glassbook Pro is heavier still.

I noticed immediately the difference in screens MB vs MBP when I visited the store, the Macbook seems quite pale and indistinct. I expect MBA will look the same in November.

ageha
Oct 21, 2008, 04:22 AM
Calibrating will not improve the subset of colors the screen can produce. You will only shift and narrow the color space.

daneoni
Oct 21, 2008, 05:23 AM
I bit the bullet and bought the GlassBook, i haven't actually opened it but hopefully the screen can be mitigated by calibration cos no other Apple laptop works for me. Pro is too big and Air is too underpowered.

Last gen macbook is plastic/sharp/finger print magnet and last gen pro has a ticking time bomb of a GPU so...

nomad01
Oct 21, 2008, 05:34 AM
Gizmodo is retarded. My MacBook is fine.

Looking at the pics on their website there is an obvious difference with the models they have but seriously, mine looks nowhere near that bad. Even looking at the MB and MBP side on at the Apple Store, it's not that noticeable.

I'm seriously fine with my Macbook. It's not perfect but all in all, I'm really satisfied.

i0Nic
Oct 21, 2008, 06:50 AM
Yep, my Silverbook Pro weighs like an elephant after a short while on the shoulder. The Glassbook Pro is heavier still.

I noticed immediately the difference in screens MB vs MBP when I visited the store, the Macbook seems quite pale and indistinct. I expect MBA will look the same in November.

Ok, but have you tried carrying a regular macbook to test the difference? I wouldn't think it would be dramatically different.

nomad01
Oct 21, 2008, 07:05 AM
Ok, but have you tried carrying a regular macbook to test the difference? I wouldn't think it would be dramatically different.

I don't know if it's psychological but after carrying around my old blackbook, the new "glassbook" seems noticeably lighter. :-s

Reason I got rid of the Macbook Pro and went to Macbooks in the first place was portability.

Then again, some people cart around hulking machines and don't complain. Maybe I have sensitive (weak!) shoulders. :)

sangosimo
Oct 21, 2008, 07:30 AM
the older macbooks where pretty bad but the newer glossbook aren't that bad; it is tolerable for two people but pretty annoying with three.

1appleAday
Oct 21, 2008, 12:59 PM
but i guess we cant have everything...MBA is for portability but not as powerful...MBP is too big/not portable and great screen.

couldn't agree more. i know they have to differentiate them somehow, but it shouldn't be the screen.

sometimes i wonder what kind of laptop does Steve use...;)

rd261
Oct 21, 2008, 01:13 PM
Actually I have a last gen blackbook and my friend have one of the new ones, and both machines have pretty much the same viewing angle, just that his is a bit brighter.