PDA

View Full Version : Review of Griffin's iTrip

MacBytes
Jan 31, 2004, 06:54 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Review of Griffin's iTrip (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040131195424)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Bunzi2k4
Jan 31, 2004, 07:13 PM
I love my itrip, use it all the time, although i find wires are better in quality...

nagromme
Jan 31, 2004, 08:13 PM
Best quality: a real line-in to your car (or home stereo). But you have to deal with cables, and installing something behind your dash, and many cars don't even have this option without replacing the stereo.

Second best: cassette adapter. But you have cables again, plus the annoyance of having to "Play" the fake tape--and many modern cars even with CD players don't also have a cassette player at all. Mine doesn't.

Third best--and often the only choice: FM. Download Griffin's station-finder app and follow the tips in the readme for clearest results. And remove or lower your car's external antenna if you live in a high-interference area with no free stations. You'll still be stuck with FM radio quality--but people enjoy that every day.

Other transmitters have a corded dongle, so for true wireless, cable-free convenience, there IS no competitor to iTrip. I hope they make one just for the iPod mini, even though the current one does fit (off-center).

Tip: if you don't want all those extra "control tracks" in your library, delete the ones you don't use. I'd tend to keep just 3 or 4 stations, for cities I drive to, and delete the rest. (There's no harm if they come up randomly in rotation--they don't take effect unless you manually press play/pause when the light flashes. But still, I consider them needless clutter in a music library, so I'd rather weed them down to a few!)

Thirteenva
Jan 31, 2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by nagromme

Second best: cassette adapter. But you have cables again, plus the annoyance of having to "Play" the fake tape--and many modern cars even with CD players don't also have a cassette player at all. Mine doesn't.

hmmm.... i find the sound quality in my car to be much better with the itrip than it was with my cassete adapter.

nagromme
Jan 31, 2004, 09:16 PM
I suspect not all tape adapters are created equal--I've seen some with very thin unshielded wired--and all tape PLAYERS are certainly not created equal!

mainstreetmark
Jan 31, 2004, 10:39 PM
What I very much dislike about iTrip is that if you move into a metro area that overtakes you existing iTrip setting, you have to stop your playlist to pick a new one.

redAPPLE
Feb 1, 2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
What I very much dislike about iTrip is that if you move into a metro area that overtakes you existing iTrip setting, you have to stop your playlist to pick a new one.

maybe removing the external antenna would help here, no?

redAPPLE
Feb 1, 2004, 01:49 AM
Tip: if you don't want all those extra "control tracks" in your library, delete the ones you don't use. I'd tend to keep just 3 or 4 stations, for cities I drive to, and delete the rest. (There's no harm if they come up randomly in rotation--they don't take effect unless you manually press play/pause when the light flashes. But still, I consider them needless clutter in a music library, so I'd rather weed them down to a few!)

i didn't understand the part "manually press play/pause when the light flashes".

anybody care to elaborate?

nagromme
Feb 1, 2004, 01:56 AM
If you drive a lot between metro areas that have no clear frequencies in common, then that would be an inconvenience.

Then again, other FM players that only HAVE 3-4 frequencies to choose from would probably be even worse: you might not find any of the 4 open, and then you're out of luck!

I found several frequencies in the station-finder app that are common to every city I'd be in over a typical year. So with a little luck, NO station-changing.

Plus, I random-shuffle the songs in most playlists, so resuming a playlist after a channel-change is no big deal: I don't care if it picks up where it left off or not, it's all random.

Direct wiring to your stereo, if you can achieve that, is certainly the simplest to use if you travel long distances.

mainstreetmark
Feb 1, 2004, 11:21 AM
When iTrip's little station setters play, the iTrip listens, but doesn't respond unless you pause the music during the 30 second "song". That's how it knows that you really want to change stations.