Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertkj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I'm thinking of switching from windows to a mac, and have a few question about the new MacBook's.

1.) Will the .4 GHz in the 2.4 GHZ Macbook really that much faster then the 2.0 GHZ MacBook. I will only be using it for the Macbook for school, music, and watching a few movies.

2.) Should I upgrade the Memory from 2 GB to 4GB, since I will only will be using for basic functions. Or will it make that much of a difference.

3.) If I go with the 2.0 GHz MacBook will it be able to run Snow Leopard, if i choose to upgrade? I know this is a tough question since snow Leopard has not been released.

Any answers will since I would like to go buy one to night.:)

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
I think you'd be fine with the 2.0 and 2 GB RAM. I think I'd be fine with those specs too, but I want 2.4 Ghz and 4 GB RAM, so that's what I ordered. lol.

Also, you could always upgrade the RAM yourself later.

Ozzymandos

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Falcon, CO
I'm thinking of switching from windows to a mac, and have a few question about the new MacBook's.

1.) Will the .4 GHz in the 2.4 GHZ Macbook really that much faster then the 2.0 GHZ MacBook. I will only be using it for the Macbook for school, music, and watching a few movies.

2.) Should I upgrade the Memory from 2 GB to 4GB, since I will only will be using for basic functions. Or will it make that much of a difference.

3.) If I go with the 2.0 GHz MacBook will it be able to run Snow Leopard, if i choose to upgrade? I know this is a tough question since snow Leopard has not been released.

1) It's probably not $300 difference, if thats what you are asking. Unless you are a power user...

2) Basic functions like email / web / dvd playback / office / youtube. I can't imagine it making enough of a difference to bother.

3) It will absolutely run Snow Leopard.

robertkj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Is it that difficult to upgrade the Ram myself, or will I save money just to upgrading now?

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008

1. For what you plan to do with your mb, you probably won't be able to feel the real world difference between 2.0 and 2.4, but the extra performance is still there.

2. apple's cost to upgrade to 4gb is very reasonable. if you're only doing basic tasks, 2gb should be fine.

3. i would think you should be able to. all you have to do is purchase the software.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Upgrading is rather straight forward and you'll save some money doing it yourself. Since you're moving from Windows you might want to consider installing Bootcamp or one of the virtualization programs (Fusion is good) in the future. That way you can use some Windows apps if you're so inclined. If you choose virtualization your machine will run a bit smoother with more RAM. 4 GB would be the preferred amount in that case. If you don't run Windows then 2 GB should be OK unless you're a power user.

I'm going with the 2.4 GHz not only for the added horsepower, but also because of the backlit keyboard. Once you have one you'll never want to go back.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
Upgrading is rather straight forward and you'll save some money doing it yourself. Since you're moving from Windows you might want to consider installing Bootcamp or one of the virtualization programs (Fusion is good) in the future. That way you can use some Windows apps if you're so inclined. If you choose virtualization your machine will run a bit smoother with more RAM. 4 GB would be the preferred amount in that case. If you don't run Windows then 2 GB should be OK unless you're a power user.

I'm going with the 2.4 GHz not only for the added horsepower, but also because of the backlit keyboard. Once you have one you'll never want to go back.

this should really be the deciding factor for you. everything else is the same between the 2.0 vs 2.4, so base your decision off the backlit keyboard and processing power.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
The 2.4 also has a slightly larger HDD: 160GD vs 250GB

what i meant to say was that the processor and backlit keyboard are the only things you can't change once a decision has been made on whether to get the 2.0 or 2.4 version, so one should base their decision on those two factors.

robertkj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Thanks for all the help. I will probably go with the 2.0 GHz as the backlit keyboard is not a big deal, and the comparison between the 2.0 GHZ and 2.4 GHz done by macworld show no huge difference. And I can always upgrade the memory and Hard Drive if I have to in the future.

Can't wait till the apple store opens up tomorrow morning :D :apple:

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I'm shocked how many people are up in arms over the backlit keyboard "issue". While I think it's a craptastic move on Apple's part not to include such a simple feature on the lower end model, I can honestly say that after owning a slew of Apple notebooks, I have NEVER used it.

Yeah, I've used my computer in poorly lit situations, but doesn't the screen throw enough light onto the keyboard for those few times you can't find the key you need? Or are there just that many "hunt and peck" typists out there still?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
basically the difference is 400 MHz, 90 GB of hard drive space and a backlit keyboard. not worth it. definitely not worth it after i found out the 2 GHz MacBook has an ambient light sensor YAY!

MacsBestFriend

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
upstate ny (purgatory)
i think it's worth it for the keyboard. i really need that because i type in the dark a lot at school and i think it looks cool. by early November, modders will have thought of how to swap keyboards.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
i think it's worth it for the keyboard. i really need that because i type in the dark a lot at school and i think it looks cool. by early November, modders will have thought of how to swap keyboards.

I agree~most of my day is spent in low-light lecture halls. While I don't hunt & peck, there are several times I've wanted the backlit keyboard. ...pretty much daily, actually. :D

And yes, you would think that the light of your screen would illuminate the keyboard, but in the dark the screen actually makes it harder to see your keyboard, unless you aim the screen down toward the keys, so that you can't really read the screen.

Oh, and MBF, your sig doesn't currently make sense...

subq

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
I went with the 2.4 because it was the most powerful mb they had (I really don't want the added weight and size of a mbp). I run vmware and the extra .4 on a dual core actually makes a difference.

The added ram and hd space are moot since you can upgrade those yourself.

The backlit keyboard was just a bonus in my case and will probably help the resell value when it is time to upgrade.

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
the keyboard is not worth the money; I would only upgrade if you need an extra 400mhz. The 2.4ghz macbook will probably have lower depreciation in the used market because more people buy the 2.0ghz.

penq86

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
I had this problem too but in the end I went for the 2.4ghz. 400mhz at two cores and also the backlit keyboard looks gorgeous when im working in a dark room. :rolleyes: And later I can also upgrade the memory easily when I need more power.

I will using vmware with win XP but only use it for school application(s) or when I need to do webdesign in IE6/7..

gnikcjack

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
I guess this naturally lends itself to this question:

What is a better set up, the 2.4 ghz as is, or a 2.0 with an upgraded HD to 250 and 4 gb ram? both would cost exactly the same with educational discount, but which would outperform?

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I guess this naturally lends itself to this question:

What is a better set up, the 2.4 ghz as is, or a 2.0 with an upgraded HD to 250 and 4 gb ram? both would cost exactly the same with educational discount, but which would outperform?

Depends on what your doing, for anything but CPU intensive stuff (rendering, unraring, compressing and so on) the 4 gb one I would guess.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
LOL at backlight keyboard users. I honestly didn't understand WHY my MBP had backlit keys when I bought it - I'm being a huge elitist I know but I honestly don't think I have looked at a keyboard for years. I guess if I was honest there is the occasional time I'll look down by as has been mentioned ambient light from LCD is sufficient always

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.