Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arenson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Hi

I am mystified about the calendar sync on MOBILE ME. I have the newest IPOD TOUCH. And some things I have entered on my MACs and even work PCs (me.com0 calendars eventually showed up on my ipod touch. Vice versa too. Problem is that this is not consitent. I occasionally find something does not make it, especially from internet (me.com) to the IPOD.

I THINK my IPOD TOUCH settings may be the problem.

They are
PUSH--> ON
FETCH --> MANUAL

I have tried other ways, and the results are always unclear. I thought to save the battery PUSH should be off, or is it only FETCH?

I have wifi on AT HOME. But only to get mail sent to my IPOD. Oout on the street and at work there IS no wifi. But anyway, on or off, it seems like I need to have my usb connector plugged in to sync. So I do that too.

MAC settings too are confusing. There is SYSTEM PREFERENCES and Itunes.

Here they are for my PPC G5 running 10.5.5 and Intel Macbook Pro running 10.4.4)

MOBILE ME (SYSTEM PREFERENCES)
Sync (all items checked except, on the desktop, the mysteriously named "com.panic.transmit.favorites". So that includes calendars. And set for AUTOMATICALLY.

---> THIS ONE ---WAS-- SET FOR AUTO, BUT JUST NOW I SWITCHED TO MANUAL AND IT DID WORK!!!!!

ADVANCED shows the two machines being synced

ITUNES SETTING

Contacts and Calendars are synced "OVER THE AIR" from Mobile ME. That implies wifi? But regardless, with or without, plugged in or not, I do not always get things synced.

Mail account--only have me.com. before I had the other email I use, but it seemed to create multiple instances of Mobile me on my IPOD and also multiple calendars "On my Ipod" and UNTITLED Account" So now I leave only mobile,me checked. (see below ADVANCED)

Advanced:

REPLACE INFO ON THIS IPOD.... Or, THIS may have been the culprit, so now I leave this off

So, now I am left wondering if any of my settings are less than desired. And is the syncing, when it happens, occurring over wifi or over the USB? So far, the one setting that seems to MAYBE make a difference is in SYSTEM preferences-->changing to SYCH WITH MOBILE ME MANUAL (whereas before it was AUTO).

arenson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Success But Not Sure Why

But more trial and error revealed that JUST WIFI seems to get the calendars on me.com and the TOUCH synced. Whereas, using USB, no, or not consistently.

I only changed one setting....in system prefs. It WAS sync with mobile me AUTOMATICALLY. Now it is MANUALLY.

Other settings on the pod are PUSH ON, FETCH ON, WIFI ON.

I just find the whole thing ambiguous..Like can I get it to work with the USB only, and if so, what settings on the IPOD Touch and the Mac(s) that I own need to be.

thanks. paul

arenson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2004
CAn someone verify the settings that work

Now

IPOD TOUCH set to PUSH ON, FETCH MANUAL, ADVANCED->
Mobile Me Contacts and Calendars, Mail ALL PUSH.

And so it now works, but only via WIFI. And only if CALENDAR app is open.

If I want it to work VIA USB, so far no luck.
Do same or different settings apply for sycing via USB?

So far USB only works for ITunes and charging. But not for
calendar syncing. I suspect the above settings need to be different (PUSH/FETCH)

Apple does not have all this info in one place and it seems there may be differences between the latest TOUCH and older version.

Anyone have the latest one who can walk me through the settings?
Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.