Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vlestat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Hi there,

I have been desperately seeking to figure out whether you can attach a mini displayport to DVI adapter to a super cheap DVI to VGA adapter (you know, the kind that are so cheap they come in cereal boxes). If anyone has a new Macbook or MacbookPro with the DVI adapter and a separate (non-mac) DVI to VGA adapter, any display with VGA, and 15 minutes, could you PLEASE test this out. Just find out if it will output or if Apple has pulled another rip-off move (like the new Macbook pricing tiers) by disabling the analogue pins on the DVI adapter.

I would really appreciate this as I just ordered a new macbook and the DVI adapter, but if I can't use that I will have to order the VGA adapter. I can't test it either because the Universtiy computer store will charge me restocking on the adapter if I open the packaging.

Thanks to all that read this.

Ety

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
I got the DP->DVI adapter and tried to use the DVI->VGA adapter from my G4 Powerbook and it won't plug it. The horizontal connector on the right side, the adapter doesn't have holes for the pins above or below it. I tried one of my cheap adapters and bent the pins back and that didn't work either.

vlestat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Hey Ety,

That answers my question then. The DVI connector that apple provides does not have the analogue pins attached. Damn apple.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Hey Ety,

That answers my question then. The DVI connector that apple provides does not have the analogue pins attached. Damn apple.

Didn't have them for the mini-dvi or micro-dvi either...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.