PDA

View Full Version : will sunday's superbowl game be a record low scoring one?

jefhatfield
Jan 31, 2004, 10:27 PM
two teams with its defenses peaking in such a glorious fashion, could we see an old style black and blue superbowl?

will we have real football for a change?

thoughts...;)

Kwyjibo
Feb 1, 2004, 01:34 AM
panthers 20 (or 21) and the pats at 16, thats my pick subject to change before kickoff but not thereafter

kuyu
Feb 1, 2004, 09:56 AM
The official betting line in Vegas is -7 pats. This should prove to be a defensive battle to say the least.

I'm curious to see how Delhomme can handle the pressure of being in the big game. He only started twice before coming to carolina this season.

I wanted to see Manning vs. McNabb, but I also wanted to see the Sox vs. Cubbies. Oh well, maybe next year.

Thirteenva
Feb 1, 2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by kuyu

I wanted to see Manning vs. McNabb, but I also wanted to see the Sox vs. Cubbies. Oh well, maybe next year.

I second that. I would have love to have seen indy cap off a great season with a trip to the big game.

Also living in eastern PA (though a giants fan as a NY native) I liked the excitement surrounding the playoffs while philly was in the running. Not to mention that McNabb is a tremendously talented athlete and enjoyable to watch when he's on his game.

I'm finding it difficult to get excited about this game.

Counterfit
Feb 1, 2004, 02:03 PM
My call is Pats by 3+. And if they win, I want the parade to be on tuesday so my English class will be canceled :D

jefhatfield
Feb 1, 2004, 02:09 PM
i think we will most likely have a very close game with the pats winning

at best for their offenses, i can see a 28-21 game but it can be as low as 14-10 and some starters will go down and not be able to complete the game

i think the press has played on how tough the teams' defenses are at this moment and those defensive players will have to live up to people's expectations...and i think whatever the outcome, it will be a fun game for the defensive players who will rack up a lot of qb sacks on both sides

in less than two hours, i will hit the oyster bar with my wife and hopefully we can get a seat:p

wdlove
Feb 1, 2004, 03:57 PM
Our local sportscaster on WCVB-TV guessed at 24 - 16 Patriots. It will probably be a 7 - 10 point spread.

The Patriots are going to go onto the field as a team. They prefer not to be acknowledged individually. This practice was started in the season 3 years ago prior to their 1st Super Bowl win.

Jef I hope you and your wife will enjoy the oyster bar and get a good seat. The oyster is one of the few foods that I dislike.

jefhatfield
Feb 1, 2004, 04:05 PM
if the game were won by ten or more points, i would be very disappointed and it would then be boring and it would show that one of the team's defenses did not play up to usual

but if the patriots run the ball and have a long time of possession, they can beat carolina by ten or more points...i want to see the ball in the hands of both teams equally and have the game be decided in the 4th quarter and hopefully in the last drive

this year, i think a close finish is actually a strong possibility unlike the game when the bucs routed the raiders (from my neck of the woods)...the last time before that a local team went to a superbowl was the 49ers destroying the chargers nine years ago, and before that, they topped the broncos 55-10 in january 1990's superbowl

over here, we in northern california were bummed that the raiders did not return *they went 4-12* to the superbowl and that the 49ers had such a poor showing at 7-9 with the new coach but we knew the stupidest thing done in football all year was the 49ers firing steve mariucci...many football analysts were stunned everywhere in america, but especially here in the bay area

wdlove
Feb 1, 2004, 09:33 PM
Well that was a real nail bitter. Adam Vinateri is 3 for 3, 4 seconds left he hit a field goal. Patriots 32 - 29. wow wow, their second Super Bowl win in 3 years. This is awesome. He is a member of my Church.

kuyu
Feb 1, 2004, 09:59 PM
My hat's off to both teams. The pats and the panths played hard and both teams definately deserved to be there. In the end, Viniatari showed his colors, and the pats pulled it out. While I was rooting for the panths (underdog), I'm happy for the pats.

I love the superbowl. IMHO, it's the greatest sporting event in the world. I know, I know, the World Cup rocks. But the superbowl is such an amazing event for America. It reminds of what all we have here that's truly worth fighting for.

America really is a special place, where differences are set aside for a 4 hour game, and the true Greek tradition of sport lives on. White, Black, Catholic, or Protestant.... none of it matters during a game. Americans set aside petty differences to enjoy pure sport, and that makes our country perfect (at least for a few hours).

For the foriegners here.... what pulls your nation together as a truly united people. Just want to know what the Swiss equivalent of our Superbowl is.

jefhatfield
Feb 1, 2004, 09:59 PM
that was one of the greatest finishes of any game i have ever seen

like most predicted, it was close and it literally came down to seconds and was decided in the 4th quarter

latergator116
Feb 1, 2004, 10:14 PM
Even though I am from New England and I was rooting for the Patriots, I wouldnt have been mad if the Panthers would have won. They are both very deserving teams.

Counterfit
Feb 1, 2004, 10:45 PM
Hey, I called the Pats by a Field Goal didn't I? :D But I also expected scores of half the final.