Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chitown82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
My dad wants to put my Macbook on his credit card. Problem is I am in a different city. Is it possible to buy the computer at the Apple store without having the credit card in person (i.e. my Dad gives them the cc number over the phone)? If not, I'll just buy it online. Anyone know the current expected shipping time for the new Macbooks?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
My dad wants to put my Macbook on his credit card. Problem is I am in a different city. Is it possible to buy the computer at the Apple store without having the credit card in person (i.e. my Dad gives them the cc number over the phone)? If not, I'll just buy it online. Anyone know the current expected shipping time for the new Macbooks?

I think that depends on the store. One time I had my car fixed and forgot my credit card, so I called my wife and she said the numbers for her credit card over the phone. I also been going to this guy for yrs and I give him my work busyness also.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I think that depends on the store. One time I had my car fixed and forgot my credit card, so I called my wife and she said the numbers for her credit card over the phone. I also been going to this guy for yrs and I give him my work busyness also.

That only works with a small business that you have a long history at. A large company would have to be mentally retarded to accept that - they probably don't have the functionality to begin with; but even if they did, the liabilities are endless.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
yes I don't think they can/should make a sale like that over the phone, or else could you imagine the huge amount of people who would just do that? giving stolen numbers over the phone? I know at my workplace we are not allowed to do that. I would not think it's any different for another big company.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Also some extra info, you won't be able to just use a credit card online unless the shipping address matches the billing address on the credit card otherwise you could use anyone's card online and commit fraud.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Also some extra info, you won't be able to just use a credit card online unless the shipping address matches the billing address on the credit card otherwise you could use anyone's card online and commit fraud.

Not necessarily. I use my dad's credit card which has his account addressed based in California and I live and study in New Orleans. So far, all purchases have gone through.

By the way, I also use a credit card he gave me with an address in Honduras. I order stuff online and use my current New Orleans address and everything ends up with me and no problems.

So, you might want to check with your current Apple Store rep and explain to them your unique situation. Maybe they can offer some kind of help.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario

not quite...my girlfriends dad bought her a macbook about a month ago, and hes in iraq doing diplomat stuff and shes in california...and it went through fine.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Not necessarily. I use my dad's credit card which has his account addressed based in California and I live and study in New Orleans. So far, all purchases have gone through.

By the way, I also use a credit card he gave me with an address in Honduras. I order stuff online and use my current New Orleans address and everything ends up with me and no problems.

So, you might want to check with your current Apple Store rep and explain to them your unique situation. Maybe they can offer some kind of help.

There are exceptions to shipping outside the billing address of the credit card if the owner of the card has given permission by verifying some security questions. Don't kid yourself if you think credit card companies easily allow anyone to just charge up stuff online using anyone's credit card number. Would you want someone to steal your card number and charge up the moon online since the shipping can easily be different than the billing?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
There are exceptions to shipping outside the billing address of the credit card if the owner of the card has given permission by verifying some security questions. Don't kid yourself if you think credit card companies easily allow anyone to just charge up stuff online using anyone's credit card number. Would you want someone to steal your card number and charge up the moon online since the shipping can easily be different than the billing?

Sorry you're still overstating. I use my CC and ship to my work address all the time. Obviously my billing address is not my work address.(And I've changed jobs since obtaining the card, so the card provider has no record of the address) I've used my father's CC to order things shipped to my house often also. There have never been any "security questions" involved.

I haven't had an online merchant require me to register alternate shipping addresses with my credit card company in 10 years.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

Well, I am not trying to get scammed or anything, but our credit card company doesn't know that my dad gave me his credit card. They just know he has it and uses it (I use it to pay for college tuition and gas). However, there are time when I use his card for online shopping (I repay him later) and still the card goes through with out the card company knowing.

I understand your view point, I am however, giving out my case and how its different.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Sorry you're still overstating. I use my CC and ship to my work address all the time. Obviously my billing address is not my work address.(And I've changed jobs since obtaining the card, so the card provider has no record of the address) I've used my father's CC to order things shipped to my house often also. There have never been any "security questions" involved.

I haven't had an online merchant require me to register alternate shipping addresses with my credit card company in 10 years.

Overstating? Well I feel sorry for you and anyone else here that is content with the vendor not holding the buyer suspect and requiring some security measures when the shipping address is different than the billing address. I think what you need is someone to pull identity theft on you then you will be threatening suit towards the vendor and credit card company for letting anyone just type in your card number and buy anything they want. Wait till it happens to you.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Overstating? Well I feel sorry for you and anyone else here that is content with the vendor not holding the buyer suspect and requiring some security measures when the shipping address is different than the billing address. I think what you need is someone to pull identity theft on you then you will be threatening suit towards the vendor and credit card company for letting anyone just type in your card number and buy anything they want. Wait till it happens to you.

Well, it has happened what you said, but my dad proved it wasn't him. The charge was for some furniture in Sacramento while my dad was currently doing a gas transaction in Honduras. I mean, our credit card company is no fool, they know my dad travels to the US and he calls them up before he goes on a trip so they know. Plus he has a $4.99/month insurance plan that can take care of any mishap.

However, that is not necessary as we keep a good credit record and have reported bad charges promptly.

Once again, this is my dad's and my case, others may vary.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007

This isn't true... I order stuff all the time with my business card which has a totally different address than I ship to... never had a problem before.

How do you think people send Christmas gifts and stuff during the holidays?

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007

When's the last time you used a credit card online?

I use my (and my parents') credit cards all the time online and the billing address is almost always different than the shipping address. I am in college so the billing address and shipping address are two different things. Yet, somehow the transaction always go through. Explain that to me.

I have even used a credit card to purchase gifts for family members and have the item shipped directly to their homes. The only thing I'm asked for in regards to verification is the security code that appears on the back of the card.

If the two addresses HAD TO BE THE SAME, what would be the purpose of asking for a shipping address? Wouldn't they just ship it to the billing address. Me thinks you have no clue what you're talking about.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007

Thats the reason that credit card companys offer fraud protection services. With American Express if there is a charge that isnt yours they immediately remove it and investigate it -- if you want they'll also send you a new card.

dinaluvsApple

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
why not tell ur dad to cash advance the amount from his credit card to ur debit? then you go buy it, that was he is still paying for it on his credit card and u get the macbook urself with ur debit card(if you have a debit card)

chitown82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
why not tell ur dad to cash advance the amount from his credit card to ur debit? then you go buy it, that was he is still paying for it on his credit card and u get the macbook urself with ur debit card(if you have a debit card)

i just bought it online. im not in any rush - just excited (hence i wanted to purchase in the store initially). :)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
When's the last time you used a credit card online?

I use my (and my parents') credit cards all the time online and the billing address is almost always different than the shipping address. I am in college so the billing address and shipping address are two different things. Yet, somehow the transaction always go through. Explain that to me.

I have even used a credit card to purchase gifts for family members and have the item shipped directly to their homes. The only thing I'm asked for in regards to verification is the security code that appears on the back of the card.

If the two addresses HAD TO BE THE SAME, what would be the purpose of asking for a shipping address? Wouldn't they just ship it to the billing address. Me thinks you have no clue what you're talking about.

You are not getting my point. Should I be surprised? Yes, I know that the shipping info can be different than the billing info. It's not as cut and dry as it seems. Any decent vendor (Apple) will do a pre-authorization with the credit card company to reduce any fraudulent charges, that's why you haven't ran into any issues.

Do you want somebody to buy a shiny new Mac with your stolen information?
You'll be calling Apple asking, "Why the hell did you allow this charge?"
I worked for Visa and Washington Mutual for 5 years each, I know how the credit system works.

With your lenient policy the world will have more credit card fraud. Anyways congrats to the OP, I'm sure you will enjoy your Macbook as I will when I get mine delivered tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.