PDA

View Full Version : Please Post Here if your Aluminum Macbooks' Battery/HDD Cover is loose.

Pages : [1] 2

TheSandman2236
Oct 19, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hey Everyone-

It's sort of come to my attention there's a few of us who are having *experiences* with a loose cover/latch. I wouldn't call this an *issue* at all, (yet) or it could be a problem with us being too picky. Either way, I'd like to know. Thanks!

VSMacOne
Oct 19, 2008, 01:45 AM
The cover was fine at first, but after i took it off for the first time, when i put it back on it didn't go as tight, and started moving around creating gaps in the front and back. Also, when i go to sit it down it clicks (the cover is hitting either the battery or the frame -- i don't think it can quite reach the HD because it's not as close to the cover, but it might).

Like i said in a different post, this might be nit-picking but it might not. I would hate to see a damaged HD or a cracked bottom cover from that.

I'm switching out tomorrow (upgrading in fact, to the mid range MB) so I will report back about the new one. This time, i'm just gonna sit down in a place with Wi-Fi close by the Best Buy, just in case :) but i think 3rd time is a charm.

Clayne
Oct 19, 2008, 01:48 AM
Mine is a bit loose, and if I look at it eye level (eye-level with "Macbook" except I'm looking below toward the latch), I see a gap toward the middle of the battery cover.

This is lame, but I really don't want to replace it :/ I feel out of everything that could go wrong, this is pretty petty. I'm hoping that, at least.

Dybbuk
Oct 19, 2008, 01:53 AM
so does apple actually test anything or just say "welp this looks pretty cool, make ten million of them and get them out of here"

Chef On The Go
Oct 19, 2008, 02:04 AM
I have the same problem.. I have the top of line with the 128 SSD and the upgraded 2.8GHz...

I don't think apple should charge over $3,000 for a computer and can't make a simple cover to fit right on a computer.. Come on it's like buying a BMW and the door dosnt close tight .. I think apple spend to much time working on their iPods and iphone's and forget that they are a computer business.. I feel that their level of details are going down, but the prices are going up.. Tomorrow I'm going to the genius bar and they better fix it or reorder me a new one

Clayne
Oct 19, 2008, 02:13 AM
It sucks if you have this problem, are 1+ hours from an apple store, and need the computer for school.

and have been waiting 10+ months just for these damn macbooks to be released!

I don't think i'm gunna get mine replaced.

Chef On The Go
Oct 19, 2008, 02:19 AM
It sucks if you have this problem, are 1+ hours from an apple store, and need the computer for school.

and have been waiting 10+ months just for these damn macbooks to be released!

I don't think i'm gunna get mine replaced.

Well I'm taking my MacBook pro back I paid $3330 for mine with a student discount.. I think I should have a perfect computer what you think

Clayne
Oct 19, 2008, 02:32 AM
Well I'm taking my MacBook pro back I paid $3330 for mine with a student discount.. I think I should have a perfect computer what you think

Good! I think you should! I think I should too, but I really don't want to take it back. If anything else comes up, though, I will.

Chef On The Go
Oct 19, 2008, 02:48 AM
Good! I think you should! I think I should too, but I really don't want to take it back. If anything else comes up, though, I will.

so since my MacBook pro is a BTO they will not have mine in stock because mine has the faster 2.8GHz and the 128 Solid State Dtive .. So when I go to the genius bar what will happen will they return it and they will credit my credit card .. Then I will have to reorder the same thing again ??? I would hate to have to wait again ... This sucks !!! why apple !!!! Can't you this make a solid computer

Dybbuk
Oct 19, 2008, 02:58 AM
You can't return a BTO.

Chef On The Go
Oct 19, 2008, 02:58 AM
I'm very angry I spent $$$$ this like every one else.. I this don't have time and really don't want to go throw sending back waiting and reordering ... I'm very unhappy

Chef On The Go
Oct 19, 2008, 03:06 AM
You can't return a BTO.

Well yes I can if theirs a problem with the computer

Darth.Titan
Oct 19, 2008, 03:22 AM
Well yes I can if theirs a problem with the computer

Actually, no you can't. They will send it in for repair, but the following is a quote from Apple's sales and Refunds policy:
"Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival."

I don't think a slightly less-than-perfect battery cover qualifies as "Dead on Arrival"

southerndoc
Oct 19, 2008, 03:31 AM
Apple appears to have poor quality control over the past few years.

Their philosophy seems to be to produce as many as possible for as cheap as possible because <5% of customers with a minor defect (such as a gap in the battery cover) will actually return the product.

Chef On The Go
Oct 19, 2008, 03:35 AM
Actually, no you can't. They will send it in for repair, but the following is a quote from Apple's sales and Refunds policy:
"Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival."

I don't think a slightly less-than-perfect battery cover qualifies as "Dead on Arrival"

That bull ?!?!! I will contact american experss tomorrow if they will not replace it and fill a Charge Back.. It's not right and I'm not getting a 1 day old computer repair... American Express is good with things like this ... I will send it back to apple and get my money back F Apple I will never buy another item from them if they even think about trying to repair the computer

TheSandman2236
Oct 19, 2008, 09:09 AM
I hope we arent being pickey. I wonder if that's just apart of having that kind of latch.

likemyorbs
Oct 19, 2008, 09:13 AM
I hope we arent being pickey. I wonder if that's just apart of having that kind of latch.
we're not just being picky and im glad you made a thread on this, i noticed it the first day i got my macbook. thats really irritating that apple just doesnt care. i have the slanted function keys AND the loose battery cover and im trying my best not to let these defects piss me off too much because apparently everyone else has them too.

subq
Oct 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
thx for the picture so those of us still waiting on ours to arrive will know what it looks like

bensim
Oct 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
As I've said in a different thread, I had the problem of the poor fitting battery cover. I noticed it right away, and I immediately returned the computer. It was swapped quickly for a new one.

I've searched the Apple discussions without luck about this, and considering how short this thread is, I don't think this is a major issue. If you have the problem and can bring it back, do it.

My second MacBook is perfect. However, I haven't taken the cover off myself and replaced it... just a bit worried! However, the first one came with the problem out of the box... I didn't open the cover until after I noticed the problem.

Warbrain
Oct 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
Hate to say it...

First-generation of a product revision. Expect these issues.

pik.
Oct 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
thx for the picture so those of us still waiting on ours to arrive will know what it looks like

+100000

thanks a lot!!!!!!!!:)

hope the man risolves soon....:o

bananabar
Oct 19, 2008, 11:24 AM
You can't return a BTO.

You certainly can if it's defective.

prngaeil
Oct 19, 2008, 11:31 AM
hello everybody. I was thinking that maybe there's one party of macbooks with this defect. If it's true, maybe we could identify this party by checking the book's serial number?

Tosser
Oct 19, 2008, 11:38 AM
and so the saga of poorly designed Apple laptops and dwindling quality control continues.
For the life of me, I cannot believe some people were claiming - even before these came out, taking clues from the keynote - that these would be "even better quality than the MBPs" (as if they were/are robustly build).
I guess I could just NOT post this, but to be honest, that battery "cap" problem is something they should have taken care of in the DESIGN phase.

I guess, though, that Apple cares more about selling glossy shiny things to people buying stuff on a whim (yes, research have shown that shiny glossy (and bright coloured) things sells better to impulse buyers).

subq
Oct 19, 2008, 12:27 PM
and so the saga of poorly designed Apple laptops and dwindling quality control continues.
For the life of me, I cannot believe were claiming - even before these came out, taking clues from the keynote - that these would be "even better quality than the MBPs" (as if they were/are robustly build).
I guess I could just NOT post this, but to be honest, that battery "cap" problem is something they should have taken care of in the DESIGN phase.

I guess, though, that Apple cares more about selling glossy shiny things to people buying stuff on a whim (yes, research have shown that shiny glossy (and bright coloured) things sells better to impulse buyers).

I think part of the problem is apple's growth. Fanboys are always talking about how great quality apple products are...I am here to tell you that is not the case (perhaps historically it was). All this stuff is coming from china from my understanding and the quality control is lacking.

The "design" may be great, the plans may be great, but the products used and the quality control are now severely lacking. The disturbing part is that apple charges a premium for their products and they have a very high profit margin in comparison to others. If they aren't going to lower the end user cost, they should at least increase their quality (hence their cost) to give their users a better product. Just my .02

I hate to say it but apple really is a terrible company (despite the "good" things about their products, that is).

MattyMac
Oct 19, 2008, 12:32 PM
Yup, mine is slightly loose as well. One of the first things I've noticed. Not the end of the world though.

taylorwilsdon
Oct 19, 2008, 12:36 PM
Yup, mine is slightly loose as well. One of the first things I've noticed. Not the end of the world though.

Agreed. Mine is noticeably (and somewhat annoyingly) loose, but its not like it really affects anything. When they reopen the Apple store next to my house (Oct 24th) I'll go in and have them give me a new battery cover.

On another note, I was shocked how exposed the hard drive is. I guess its easier to access, but wow, it looked like it was just going to fall out.

VSMacOne
Oct 19, 2008, 01:07 PM
I just got back form Best Buy to exchange my MB and apparently there is a problem with the latching system of the battery/HD cover. I will get into it more later, but for right now, they replaced mine and the battery cover is not AS LOOSE as the last one, but is still moving around.
More details about the 2 hour store experience later. I have to say though, Bet Buy has great customer service. And cudos to my :apple: Apple Guy at Best Buy!!!

emotion
Oct 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
Would be good if Apple could come up with a fix for this.

Like they did for the cracking and yellowing on the wrist rest on the first revision of the white MBs.

What's the actual issue? Will it be fixable with a small tweak of the design of the cover rather than the case?

sangosimo
Oct 19, 2008, 01:23 PM
it could be worse. See core duo macbook. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

taylorwilsdon
Oct 19, 2008, 01:24 PM
Would be good if Apple could come up with a fix for this.

Like they did for the cracking and yellowing on the wrist rest on the first revision of the white MBs.

What's the actual issue? Will it be fixable with a small tweak of the design of the cover rather than the case?

All they'll have to do is put in a slightly larger battery cover... nothing to do with the case, its a separate piece. Would take 2 seconds to swap out at the store.

emotion
Oct 19, 2008, 01:27 PM
All they'll have to do is put in a slightly larger battery cover... nothing to do with the case, its a separate piece. Would take 2 seconds to swap out at the store.

Cool. In that case this is acceptable. It's the first rev after all.

kellte2
Oct 19, 2008, 01:32 PM
Cool. In that case this is acceptable. It's the first rev after all.

Problem is...mine isn't loose, so that seems to throw out the notion that all are loose.

emotion
Oct 19, 2008, 01:38 PM
Problem is...mine isn't loose, so that seems to throw out the notion that all are loose.

Well, that's not a problem. That's encouraging :)

ti2ibal1
Oct 19, 2008, 01:43 PM
Mine is just the slightest bit loose. I mean it's MAYBE moving a 1/16th of an inch. No part of it has a gap, it's just very lightly loose.

applefriend2008
Oct 19, 2008, 01:45 PM

Dude, for that price, your notebook better grow wings and FLY. Jeez, that is an insane amount of money for a laptop.
:apple:

applefriend2008
Oct 19, 2008, 01:49 PM
I ordered a macbook 2.4ghz 4gb ram on the 17th. I a little worried that the laptop will have the same problem you guys are talking about.
What do I do ?!
:confused:

applefriend2008
I ordered a macbook 2.4ghz 4gb ram on the 17th. It is CTO and I am a little worried that the laptop will have the same problem you guys are talking about.
What do I do ?!

Lurchdubious
Great. I'll be QUITE pissed if mine suffers from this as well. Guess I'll find out in a day or two.

about the BTO's not being returned, that's ridiculous. That's what a warranty is for. My blackbook was BTO, and the disc drive stopped working after 2 weeks. I ordered it online so they wouldn't exchange it an an apple store, but they did ship me a new one and I returned the defective one.

emotion
Oct 19, 2008, 01:51 PM
I ordered a macbook 2.4ghz 4gb ram on the 17th. I a little worried that the laptop will have the same problem you guys are talking about.
What do I do ?!

Don't panic.

HLdan
Oct 19, 2008, 01:51 PM
What do I do ?!

Wait till it gets delivered and start using it. You're worried before you even get it. An ever so SLIGHTLY loose battery cover is not stopping the machine from working. I'd be more concerned about getting a stuck pixel.

applefriend2008
Oct 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
Wait till it gets delivered and start using it. You're worried before you even get it. An ever so SLIGHTLY loose battery cover is not stopping the machine from working. I'd be more concerned about getting a stuck pixel.

I hope so !

This is my first mac, my first laptop, and most of all, my first apple product. i hope im not disappointed. haha

agbot
Oct 19, 2008, 01:58 PM
I have a MPB, but the first time I tried to put the cover back on I noticed a gap like talked about and pictured in this thread. It's just a pain to seat back perfectly and have it click back in place, exactly flush. Once I got it clicked into place at each latch point, all was well.

droopysignal
Oct 19, 2008, 02:04 PM
I pre-ordered mine through Best Buy and I'm hoping I will not have the same issue. If so, I'm taking it back (restocking fee, sheesh!) and just dealing with getting the 17" with a matte screen. I've been torn over getting a REV A, but I've been waiting to replace my PowerBook G4 for over 10 months. Hopefully, Apple will have a replacement if the defects become rampant that can be taken care of at the Apple store or better yet through the mail for those living a distance from the Apple store or a reseller.

abijnk
Oct 19, 2008, 02:10 PM
The cover was fine at first, but after i took it off for the first time, when i put it back on it didn't go as tight, and started moving around creating gaps in the front and back. Also, when i go to sit it down it clicks (the cover is hitting either the battery or the frame -- i don't think it can quite reach the HD because it's not as close to the cover, but it might).

Same exact thing. Was nicely fit at first until I opened her up, now not so nice, but not much of an issue at all. I really just worry that it ill make it prone to dust getting in there.

Clayne
Oct 19, 2008, 02:14 PM
Mine's not loose. Last night it clicked a little when I set it down, but when I took off cover for the first time, and put it back on, it went on tightly.

My only problem, is that looking from the FRONT, the cover isn't completely flush with the base. I can live with that though.

applefriend2008
Oct 19, 2008, 03:17 PM
When i get mine, im not even going to TOUCH the battery/hdd cover. Just leave it be. hahah
:p

NStocks
Oct 19, 2008, 03:19 PM
When i get mine, im not even going to TOUCH the battery/hdd cover. Just leave it be. hahah
:p

Same here ! As tempting as it may be !

NStocks

scottintosh
Oct 19, 2008, 03:45 PM
I hate to say it but apple really is a terrible company (despite the "good" things about their products, that is).

I kind of agree with that. While I am a huge fan of apple computers, they seem to care less about their customers.

surfermsd
Oct 19, 2008, 03:51 PM
Glad I found some other people that had the same problem with the loose battery cover. I thought I was the only one!

I went down the apple store to check the display models and all of those battery covers fit tight. I have an appointment later today too get my cover checkout.

Here is video of my loose battery cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbzx--isKN8

Munitalp
Oct 19, 2008, 03:55 PM
Glad I found some other people that had the same problem with the loose battery cover. I thought I was the only one!

I went down the apple store to check the display models and all of those battery covers fit tight. I have an appointment later today too get my cover checkout.

Thanks for the video -- sorry to see you're having that problem :(

VSMacOne
Oct 19, 2008, 04:41 PM
My first MB i had to return the same day, Friday, beacause the HD was making noises (I didn't notice an issue with the battery cover on that one, but then again I never took it off either).
The second one had the loose battery cover and i took it back today wanting to also upgrade to the 2.4 Ghz. When i got to Best Buy, neither the Geek Squad nor my Apple guy had any clue whether this was a widespread issue of just limited to a certain BATCH of MBs. So we pull a new one out of the box, and it does the same thing!! Finally, i just told them to try another one and if it's doing the same thing, I'll just live with it until Apple remedies it or something in the future. So we pull MB number 3 (for the day/4 total) out of the box and SURPRISE it's not a PERFECT fit, but much better than the other two. I'm gonna live with it for now, and if it becomes a problem in the future I'm sure Apple will just replace it.
I'm really hoping this is an issue with the battery cover HOOKS not with the whole latching system!!!
Anyway, that has been my experience with my MB so far. 3 days, 4 macs. Don't get me wrong, i am not complaining. Other then the inconvenience of driving 35 min one way to the store, I didn't really have any other problems. I LOVE the new MB and i dont regret waiting for it and buying it. I'm looking forward to some awesome times ahead :D

CaptainCaveMann
Oct 19, 2008, 04:48 PM

I'm not sure if that would even bother me...

Hawkeye411
Oct 19, 2008, 05:02 PM

Ahhh man ... that's terrible!! Damn you Apple!!!

tom burns
Oct 19, 2008, 05:24 PM
Dear Apple,

once again, thanx for giving us great products but with something to worry about when we are going to buy them... :o:apple:

dL.
Oct 19, 2008, 05:33 PM
What do you guys expect from a 1st revision new product? If you want near perfection, wait it out and buy a 3rd revision.

dL

mcdj
Oct 19, 2008, 05:44 PM
When they reopen the Apple store next to my house (Oct 24th) I'll go in and have them give me a new battery cover.

Good luck with that. It's not a parts warehouse. Besides, there's no room in the stockroom for parts; too many iPods and iPhones.

You will most likely have to have them order it, unless you want to swap it for a new machine or send it in for repair.

I would be curious to know how many of you with loose covers had opened the cover prior to it becoming loose (at least one person mentioned it). I wonder if people aren't closing the latch properly and bending it, or if the latches are otherwise getting bent as they close due to a manufacturing defect.

My cover is not loose. I have not opened it.

Hawkeye411
Oct 19, 2008, 06:02 PM
Now shipping with every new MB and MBP;)

http://www.adhesive-duct-tape.com/images/duct-tape.jpg

The color matches too!!:D

tom burns
Oct 19, 2008, 06:31 PM

Great!!!
looool

eye.surgeon
Oct 19, 2008, 06:38 PM
Mine's not loose.

Lurchdubious
Oct 19, 2008, 06:44 PM

LOL! That's awesome. Duct tape really does fix everything.

Primejimbo
Oct 19, 2008, 07:01 PM
My latches are not as strong as my whitebook at all. I can turn my whitebook upside-down and it won't open, can't say the same for the glassbook.

taylorwilsdon
Oct 19, 2008, 07:14 PM
Good luck with that. It's not a parts warehouse. Besides, there's no room in the stockroom for parts; too many iPods and iPhones.

You will most likely have to have them order it, unless you want to swap it for a new machine or send it in for repair.

I would be curious to know how many of you with loose covers had opened the cover prior to it becoming loose (at least one person mentioned it). I wonder if people aren't closing the latch properly and bending it, or if the latches are otherwise getting bent as they close due to a manufacturing defect.

My cover is not loose. I have not opened it.

My Apple store (University Village) is a 2 story monstrosity. They keep full stock of all parts. They do-same day, in store replacements of all parts... I had all the parts of a white Macbook (top and bottom case, optical drive, screen) changed in less than an hour.

I would be astonished if they somehow didn't have battery covers.

StingerT125
Oct 19, 2008, 07:48 PM
I just watched the video - that is too loose and is not right.

I just removed the cover on mine and put it back on. There is no movement on mine. I would definitely have them look at that.

Chef On The Go
Oct 19, 2008, 08:08 PM
Was on the phone with apple and explain the problem with the cover and notice that everyone case cover Is lose or sticking up on the same side of the hard drive ... The apple tech thinks the hard drive the way it's set is causing the problem.. I sent him a pic of mines and he thinks that the problem.. I'm sending mine back tomorrow and getting a refund until they fix the problem

So this exchanging it will not fix the problem until apple fixes the way the hard drive sits inside that area

mobilehavoc
Oct 19, 2008, 08:25 PM
Was on the phone with apple and explain the problem with the cover and notice that everyone case cover Is lose or sticking up on the same side of the hard drive ... The apple tech thinks the hard drive the way it's set is causing the problem.. I sent him a pic of mines and he thinks that the problem.. I'm sending mine back tomorrow and getting a refund until they fix the problem

So this exchanging it will not fix the problem until apple fixes the way the hard drive sits inside that area

Odd, if that was the case it would be happening with mine and it isn't. Did you try upgrading your HD? Mine is rock solid and doesn't budge at all.

surfermsd
Oct 19, 2008, 08:27 PM

Well I just got back from the apple store they did not have any extra battery covers but they said I could bring back my laptop and they would exchange for another MacBook Pro. I took them up on that.

The new one does not have the same loose battery cover as the one I replaced. We went around and checked all the macbook pros at the store and 4 of them had the loose battery cover and 4 did not. They said I was the first one to bring one back because of the loose battery cover.

Matty0500
Oct 19, 2008, 09:02 PM
I have the same problem, it's fairly minor, move maybe 0.2mm but still makes an annoying metallic click when i put it down somewhere

likemyorbs
Oct 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
I have the same problem, it's fairly minor, move maybe 0.2mm but still makes an annoying metallic click when i put it down somewhere

the appearance of it does bother me as much as the annoying metalic click. I'm waiting for apple to acknowledge the defect... I don't want a replacemt because migration assistant will take like 2 hours, all I want is a new battery cover...

manny23lakeshow
Oct 20, 2008, 01:24 AM
i am having the same issue with my macbook, what is disappointing, is that everything else about my macbook is perfect. Not sure if I want to bring it in for an exchange. Hopefully all it needs is a new bottom cover... Mine is not as bad as that youtube video, however my issue is fairly annoying. Everytime I adjust the laptop when using it on my lap or table , it will creak and click by the cover. My plastic macbook never did this. The locking mechanism in the older macbooks were superb, and locked in the battery unit nice and tight.

TheSandman2236
Oct 20, 2008, 09:17 AM
i am having the same issue with my macbook, what is disappointing, is that everything else about my macbook is perfect. Not sure if I want to bring it in for an exchange. Hopefully all it needs is a new bottom cover... Mine is not as bad as that youtube video, however my issue is fairly annoying. Everytime I adjust the laptop when using it on my lap or table , it will creak and click by the cover. My plastic macbook never did this. The locking mechanism in the older macbooks were superb, and locked in the battery unit nice and tight.

I'm in the same exact boat as you. Mines subtle, but not like the video. I really want to contact Apple to figure out what the hell is going on.

pik.
Oct 20, 2008, 09:24 AM
as i wrote at the other topic...

All the friends having the Cover problems are from US or there are UK-EU Alu macbooks also with tha same problem?

thanks a lot for your answers:)

ec51
Oct 20, 2008, 09:46 AM
What do you guys expect from a 1st revision new product? If you want near perfection, wait it out and buy a 3rd revision.

dL

Now that is just a load of BS...my early 2008 white crackbook is what the 2nd or 3rd revision? My palmrest still cracked..."little" things like that, or with it seems this loose battery cover problem, are things they would rather fix on a case-by-case basis rather than revamping the whole line. It has nothing to do with first gen or not.

Scott6666
Oct 20, 2008, 10:14 AM

"Designed by Apple in California" is all the product says.

Built in China by who knows who (OK Foxconn) to whatever standard we can encourage them to do so we don't find some other contract manufacturer.

You gotta assume they have a few Apple employees on site but it's not like the old days when it was built in Freemont (Designed AND BUILT by Apple in California).

Munitalp
Oct 20, 2008, 10:15 AM
Just got my new Macbook delivered... my cover is tight and doesnt move at all. :o

southerndoc
Oct 20, 2008, 10:29 AM
Just got my new Macbook delivered... my cover is tight and doesnt move at all. :o

I thought mine was tight when I first got it, but now it's pretty loose. I never opened it, so not sure what caused it.

I'm not taking it back though. I'll get Apple to send a replacement cover instead.

southerndoc
Oct 20, 2008, 10:51 AM
I don't think enough people have called Apple about this issue.

I called technical support to see if there was a battery cover replacement. The guy was extremely nice and asked his supervisor. He said that I should take it to a Mac genius in 2-3 weeks as they will likely have replacement parts by then.

He said that he has had two other calls related to this, but said the problem doesn't seem to widespread now. He said if I knew of others who had the problem to refer them to the Apple technical support line.

I can live with the problem, but I'm only afraid that with repeated inserting and removing the laptop from my laptop bag that it will only worsen the problem. I do NOT want to send back the laptop -- I love it, plus it took almost 6 hours for migration assistant to transfer all my files/programs/settings. I would prefer to just get another battery cover to fix the problem.

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know if this issue is fixable with just a replacement cover? Like others on this thread, my cover is slightly loose, but not to the point that I would want to exchange the entire machine. It's an annoyance to be sure, but the Apple store is a 45 minute drive away and I've had a bad experience with the workers there.

While my battery cover doesn't move around a lot, the left side (farthest from the release latch) produces an audible click when pushed down. Is this just because the left side is farthest removed from the latch? Is this a problem that all of the computers have? Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to wait to see if the issue gets worse in the next few days. If it does, does anyone know if you buy a computer in the store and call 1-800-Apple, will they send you a new one through the mail?

Munitalp
Oct 20, 2008, 11:44 AM
Does anyone know if this issue is fixable with just a replacement cover? Like others on this thread, my cover is slightly loose, but not to the point that I would want to exchange the entire machine. It's an annoyance to be sure, but the Apple store is a 45 minute drive away and I've had a bad experience with the workers there.

I'm going to wait to see if the issue gets worse in the next few days. If it does, does anyone know if you buy a computer in the store and call 1-800-Apple, will they send you a new one through the mail?

I would think it would be fixable with a replacement cover -- perhaps the cover needs to be modified by Apple though so getting one right now may not remedy it totally.

PhillyXJ
Oct 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
I got my 2.4g 320 HD 2x2 ram macbook last week... mine isn't lose like the one in the video, but it does make the metallic click and slides a very tiny bit...

I wonder if apple will acknoledge this problem? All they'd need to do was to make the battery cover a tiny bit bigger, then we're set - perhaps a rubber gasket type thing would do the trick... I hope this gets resolved, the clicking sound mine makes makes me feel like my laptop is a faulty piece! Arg!!

Other than that the laptop kicks ****ing ass haha

southerndoc
Oct 20, 2008, 12:05 PM
I would think it would be fixable with a replacement cover -- perhaps the cover needs to be modified by Apple though so getting one right now may not remedy it totally.

I wonder if changes in heat caused this? (i.e., hot during manufacturering, the aluminum shrinking a bit when cooled down)

neiltc13
Oct 20, 2008, 12:07 PM
My cover is totally fine. Seems like this issue is a bit like the lid "warping" that has always plagued the all-silver PowerBook and MacBook Pro.

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hey everyone. I took some time to examine the cover and discovered the cause of the problems. I also found a permanent fix for the clicking issue that is incredibly easy to do.

I'll post some instructions when I'm out of class.

Lurchdubious
Oct 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hey everyone. I took some time to examine the cover and discovered the cause of the problems. I also found a permanent fix for the clicking issue that is incredibly easy to do.

I'll post some instructions when I'm out of class.

Interesting. Did you MacGuyver something together with bubble gum?

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 12:29 PM

Nope. No outside materials required.

Matty0500
Oct 20, 2008, 01:51 PM
Im all ears! If I can fix this without apple replacing my notebook I'll be ecstatic. Took me a solid day to get everything transferred from my dell and other than this tiny issue I couldn't be happier with the MacBook. I especially love how cool and quiet it is.

southerndoc
Oct 20, 2008, 02:45 PM

Or did he MacGruber it? (Sorry must be a fan of SNL to get that.)

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 02:47 PM
So as I mentioned earlier, I took some time to really examine the cover and identify the problem. I have successfully fixed my clicking cover, and I hope that everyone else will be able to as well.

First, the problem comes from the horizontal piece of metal that runs the length of the underside of the cover. The piece of metal holds the tabs that you slide into the front end of your macbook, not the two larger tabs that lock in towards the middle.

If you look at the piece of metal that runs the length of the cover, you'll notice that it sits on the curvature of the metal. Because of this, a small variation in placement can have an effect on the vertical positioning of the clamps. If the piece is too far up the curvature, you'll get the clicking sound. If the piece is too far back, you'll get the sliding cover as demonstrated in the youtube video.

While I don't think it would be possible to fix the sliding covers without a new cover entirely, it is possible to fix the clicking case. Simply take a small pliers and bend the tab (on whatever side is clicking...) toward the end of the cover nearest it. Essentially bend the tab down slightly. The entire metal piece should move inward even more, which creates pressure in the case. In fact, this is how it was supposed to be originally.

I hope that's clear enough. Just bend the tab down ever-so-slightly. If you bend it too much, just push it back up, but be careful not to tear off the side of the metallic piece.

After a minute or two of tweaking, I managed to make my cover free of the annoying click when you pick it up or set it down.

I hope these instructions were clear enough. If you have any questions, let me know. Hope this helps.

By the way, bending all of the tabs will eliminate some of the sliding, but it is not a permanent fix. Still, if you only have slight movement, adjusting all of the tabs will allow for a tighter fit and will eliminate some of the movement.

Also, can you guys post pictures of the underside of your cases? Especially the YouTube guy with the major movement. I'm curious to see how the underside of the cases compare.

kellte2
Oct 20, 2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks for figuring that out. I realized that I had a tiny little play in my cover, and have fixed it using your discovery.

About the tiny amount of play that cannot be fixed...I would guess this is simply a product of fitting two parts together that are meant to come apart by with the latch mechanism. Since they're not permanently bound, there is bound to be some movement.

Maybe Apple people aren't really used to that due to Apple's love for non-user replaceable batteries, but there has to be some tolerance in movement when you have a part that has to fit together, especially with a latch, and not be permanently bound. I think you've cracked the case as to why they're not all the same, but I don't think it was designed to ever be perfectly stationary.

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks for figuring that out. I realized that I had a tiny little play in my cover, and have fixed it using your discovery.

About the tiny amount of play that cannot be fixed...I would guess this is simply a product of fitting two parts together that are meant to come apart by with the latch mechanism. Since they're not permanently bound, there is bound to be some movement.

Maybe Apple people aren't really used to that due to Apple's love for non-user replaceable batteries, but there has to be some tolerance in movement when you have a part that has to fit together, especially with a latch, and not be permanently bound. I think you've cracked the case as to why they're not all the same, but I don't think it was designed to ever be perfectly stationary.

I'm really happy it worked out for you. I agree that some movement is going to be unavoidable. If you don't want any movement, I think we're going to have to go back to non-removable batteries or a different locking mechanism.

Still, I hope this helps others fix that annoying clicking.

vincenz
Oct 20, 2008, 03:09 PM
So as I mentioned earlier, I took some time to really examine the cover and identify the problem. I have successfully fixed my clicking cover, and I hope that everyone else will be able to as well.

First, the problem comes from the horizontal piece of metal that runs the length of the underside of the cover. The piece of metal holds the tabs that you slide into the front end of your macbook, not the two larger tabs that lock in towards the middle.

If you look at the piece of metal that runs the length of the cover, you'll notice that it sits on the curvature of the metal. Because of this, a small variation in placement can have an effect on the vertical positioning of the clamps. If the piece is too far up the curvature, you'll get the clicking sound. If the piece is too far back, you'll get the sliding cover as demonstrated in the youtube video.

While I don't think it would be possible to fix the sliding covers without a new cover entirely, it is possible to fix the clicking case. Simply take a small pliers and bend the tab (on whatever side is clicking...) toward the end of the cover nearest it. Essentially bend the tab down slightly. The entire metal piece should move inward even more, which creates pressure in the case. In fact, this is how it was supposed to be originally.

I hope that's clear enough. Just bend the tab down ever-so-slightly. If you bend it too much, just push it back up, but be careful not to tear off the side of the metallic piece.

After a minute or two of tweaking, I managed to make my cover free of the annoying click when you pick it up or set it down.

I hope these instructions were clear enough. If you have any questions, let me know. Hope this helps.

By the way, bending all of the tabs will eliminate some of the sliding, but it is not a permanent fix. Still, if you only have slight movement, adjusting all of the tabs will allow for a tighter fit and will eliminate some of the movement.

Also, can you guys post pictures of the underside of your cases? Especially the YouTube guy with the major movement. I'm curious to see how the underside of the cases compare.

Thanks a lot alucard for this fix. Would it be possible to also post pictures highlighting exactly which tab to move in which direction? It'd be a lot more helpful before we go putting pliers to our $1500+ beauties ;)

My battery cover doesn't slide at all like in that video and it sits pretty flush, but I do have some VERY minor clicking that I wouldn't have cared about if it weren't mentioned so much on here already!

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks a lot alucard for this fix. Would it be possible to also post pictures highlighting exactly which tab to move in which direction? It'd be a lot more helpful before we go putting pliers to our $1500+ beauties ;)

My battery cover doesn't slide at all like in that video and it sits pretty flush, but I do have some VERY minor clicking that I wouldn't have cared about if it weren't mentioned so much on here already!

I apologize for the crappy photo. I only have a 12 megapixel camera with me now, and I haven't loaded any of my photo software on my new MBP yet. Hopefully, this photo from my iphone will suffice.

You have to bend the tab in the photo down, towards the rounded edge of the cover.

applefriend2008
Oct 20, 2008, 03:21 PM

i SO hope that when mine comes in it doesnt have this problem.

vincenz
Oct 20, 2008, 03:23 PM
Sweet, I think that'll good enough. If I need a better picture, I'll let you know and hopefully you can provide. Will try it later when I get back home though, thanks!

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 03:25 PM
Sweet, I think that'll good enough. If I need a better picture, I'll let you know and hopefully you can provide. Will try it later when I get back home though, thanks!

No problem. Let me know if you're having difficulty and hopefully I can help.

Lurchdubious
Oct 20, 2008, 03:52 PM
Or did he MacGruber it? (Sorry must be a fan of SNL to get that.)

LOL! I almost put MacGruber instead of MacGuyver. hahaha.

Lurchdubious
Oct 20, 2008, 03:55 PM
Oh, and thankfully my new MB doesn't suffer from the loose cover! :cool:

TheSandman2236
Oct 20, 2008, 04:13 PM
I apologize for the crappy photo. I only have a 12 megapixel camera with me now, and I haven't loaded any of my photo software on my new MBP yet. Hopefully, this photo from my iphone will suffice.

You have to bend the tab in the photo down, towards the rounded edge of the cover.

You sir, are a genius.

I bent it back and it works PERFECTLY.

I honestly think it's small defect with the strength of the tabs.

Heres what happens (and it's prob. already been said):

When you first pop off the cover you bend the tabs slightly. So you try to put it back on their obviously loose. If you bend back down as hard as you can (you won't be able to snap aluminum or break the heat welds, if so Apple owes you money) the tabs should fit snuggly back into the small slitted space. Your cover should fit like a glove.

Clayne
Oct 20, 2008, 04:45 PM
is there anyway to fix the cover not being flush with the base...like in the middle.?

heatmiser
Oct 20, 2008, 05:03 PM
I am SHOCKED, I repeat, SHOCKED, that Apple would release a defective product. I can't remember the last time this happened!

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 05:09 PM
You sir, are a genius.

I bent it back and it works PERFECTLY.

I honestly think it's small defect with the strength of the tabs.

Heres what happens (and it's prob. already been said):

When you first pop off the cover you bend the tabs slightly. So you try to put it back on their obviously loose. If you bend back down as hard as you can (you won't be able to snap aluminum or break the heat welds, if so Apple owes you money) the tabs should fit snuggly back into the small slitted space. Your cover should fit like a glove.

Thank you. I'm glad I could help.

I think you may be onto something here. The first time that people are removing the cover, they aren't sure where the tabs are, so they just pull back, bending the tabs. Makes sense.

Hopefully Apple will release replacement covers that are a little more resilient.

As far as your question, Clayne, I think a light flex in the affected area may do the trick, but just be careful to not bend the entire thing.

It may also be the way in which the two main clamps are sitting inside the MB. I that case, a flex may help a little, but it wouldn't be addressing the problem.

polaris20
Oct 20, 2008, 05:35 PM
I am SHOCKED, I repeat, SHOCKED, that Apple would release a defective product. I can't remember the last time this happened!

How about '05? :D

With what's been discovered by Alucardx03, it sounds like it could be easily fixed by Apple issuing better quality covers.

Matty0500
Oct 20, 2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the tip, worked perfectly. Now it's completely snug.

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 05:41 PM
How about '05? :D

With what's been discovered by Alucardx03, it sounds like it could be easily fixed by Apple issuing better quality covers.

All Apple would need to do is create thicker tabs that are not so easily bent. I'm pretty confident that all problems could be solved with a better quality cover.

Ironic
Oct 20, 2008, 05:44 PM
Tight as a nun :)

fasacrifice
Oct 20, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hi All,

I just returned my new macbook.

I waited for it about 3 months and at the and it's just a disaster. It was my first apple product and decided not to buy any more apple product.

I had the same cover problem and went to the apple store. They said it's normal and that's the way how it is. Finally I returned it without paying restocking fee. It's just ridiculous.

I'm sure most of the people buy apple because of the design like me. I'm not stupid to pay that much money for a computer with this stupid problem. I could have bought much much better windows computer (with bad design and Vista) with same amount of money.

I figured out how to fix it yesterday night like one of you guys explained. But Don't you think it's ridiculous that you pay double amount of the computer's real price because of the design and OSX but at the end you have to fix it yourself.

By the way you can fix it but it's just temporary it'll bend back again and at the end it'll get cracked.

I just called apple too but they said they don't know the problem and can't say anything without seeing it.

Good luck all you guys.

Maybe I'll switch to apple one day in the future.

Lurchdubious
Oct 20, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hi All,

I waited for it about 3 months and at the and it's just a disaster. It was my first apple product and decided not to buy any more apple product.

I had the same cover problem and went to the apple store. They said it's normal and that's the way how it is. Finally I returned it without paying restocking fee. It's just ridiculous.

I'm sure most of the people buy apple because of the design like me. I'm not stupid to pay that much money for a computer with this stupid problem. I could have bought much much better windows computer (with bad design and Vista) with same amount of money.

I figured out how to fix it yesterday night like one of you guys explained. But Don't you think it's ridiculous that you pay double amount of the computer's real price because of the design and OSX but at the end you have to fix it yourself.

By the way you can fix it but it's just temporry it'll bend back again and at the and it'll get cracked.

I just called apple too but they said they don't know the problem and can't say anything without seeing it.

Good luck all you guys.

lol. Serious? That's too bad.

I hope you have better luck in the future.

McGiord
Oct 20, 2008, 06:55 PM
:apple: still needs to do a lot of work in their product validation for their quality, even conduct more testing or to solve all the problems before launching the new products especially for the fit and finish and mechanical aspects of them.

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 07:07 PM
Hi All,

By the way you can fix it but it's just temporary it'll bend back again and at the end it'll get cracked.

Good luck all you guys.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do with your money, but doesn't that seem a little drastic?

I mean, you'd be willing to abandon an entire design, operating system, and company because the battery cover on your notebook is a little loose? Really?

I've had problems like this with every laptop I've ever owned. My first one, an e-machine, kept cracking in the hinges. My second computer, a Toshiba, was affected by the motherboard problem a few years ago. And don't even get me started on all the problems I've had with my Dell.

By comparison, I've had very, very few problems with any of my Macs.

Maybe you should have tried to take the computer to another Apple store before you ditched the entire computer? If your problem was bad enough, they would have given you a new computer. There have been many people who have had their computer exchanged for the very same reason.

Just my two cents. As long as you're happy with the decision, more power to you.

And by the way, if you successfully bent the tab, there is no reason for it to go back to normal unless you did something wrong.

fasacrifice
Oct 20, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'm not trying to tell you what to do with your money, but doesn't that seem a little drastic?

I mean, you'd be willing to abandon an entire design, operating system, and company because the battery cover on your notebook is a little loose? Really?

I've had problems like this with every laptop I've ever owned. My first one, an e-machine, kept cracking in the hinges. My second computer, a Toshiba, was affected by the motherboard problem a few years ago. And don't even get me started on all the problems I've had with my Dell.

By comparison, I've had very, very few problems with any of my Macs.

Maybe you should have tried to take the computer to another Apple store, or called 1-800-My-Apple before you ditched the entire computer?

Just my two cents. As long as you're happy with the decision, more power to you.

And by the way, if you successfully bent the tab, there is no reason for it to go back to normal unless you did something wrong.

I think I said that I really loved the computer and OSX but If I pay that much money because of the design, I believe it's my right to complain about the cover.

If I bought a similar computer from another company, I wouldn't complain about the cover. Because I know how they are. But I believe it'a a big issue for apple.

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 07:18 PM
I think I said that I really loved the computer and OSX but If I pay that much money because of the design, I believe it's my right to complain about the cover.

If I bought a similar computer from another company, I wouldn't complain about the cover. Becouse I know how they are. But I believe it'a a big issue for apple.

I totally agree. You have the right to complain about this cover fiasco, and you have the right to switch from Macs back to PCs, but your logic is flawed. If you hold that PCs from other companies at a lower standard, why would you ditch your slightly flawed machine for one that you acknowledge is subpar?

It doesn't make any sense.

So on one hand, you have a slightly flawed notebook. On the other, you have a lower quality, more potentially flawed notebook without the generous return policy that Apple has. To me, the obvious choice would be the slightly flawed machine with the return policy rather than the heavily flawed machine and lower build quality.

fasacrifice
Oct 20, 2008, 07:27 PM
I totally agree. You have the right to complain about this cover fiasco, and you have the right to switch from Macs back to PCs, but your logic is flawed. If you hold that PCs from other companies at a lower standard, why would you ditch your slightly flawed machine for one that you acknowledge is subpar?

It doesn't make any sense.

So on one hand, you have a slightly flawed notebook. On the other, you have a lower quality, more potentially flawed notebook without the generous return policy that Apple has. To me, the obvious choice would be the slightly flawed machine with the return policy rather than the heavily flawed machine and lower build quality.

I'm sorry I don't get your question, can you rephrase it?

What you said right but you forgot to say something about the huge price differences.

Alucardx03
Oct 20, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'm sorry I don't get your question, can you rephrase it?

What you said right but you forgot to say something about the huge price differences.

In your response you acknowledged that if this flaw existed on a PC, you would have little problem with it. By that statement, you are stating that you hold PCs to a lower standard...

My question is this: why would you abandon a slightly flawed product (the new MB) for a product that even you hold to a lower standard of overall quality (PC)? For this higher (but not perfect) standard of quality (Mac), you pay more. That is still better than paying less for a highly flawed product (a PC), is it not?

There are going to be problems with anything you buy. There will be, however, less problems on a Mac than a PC, which is reflective of your previous statement.

That, combined with the superior OS and the liberal return policy, makes the Mac seem like the obvious choice by your logic.

I'm not trying to criticize you. I just want to understand the reasoning behind what I consider a drastic action.

jammastershep
Oct 20, 2008, 07:42 PM
its the little things like this that really let down an otherwise great machine. this the first problem I've had and hopefully the last!

fasacrifice
Oct 20, 2008, 07:46 PM
In your response you acknowledged that if this flaw existed on a PC, you would have little problem with it. By that statement, you are stating that you hold PCs to a lower standard...

My question is this: why would you abandon a slightly flawed product (the new MB) for a product that even you hold to a lower standard of overall quality (PC)? For this higher (but not perfect) standard of quality (Mac), you pay more. That is still better than paying less for a highly flawed product (a PC), is it not?

There are going to be problems with anything you buy. There will be, however, less problems on a Mac than a PC, which is reflective of your previous statement.

That, combined with the superior OS and the liberal return policy, makes the Mac seem like the obvious choice by your logic.

I'm not trying to criticize you. I just want to understand the reasoning behind what I consider a drastic action.

Thanks I got it.

The Macbook was my first Laptop and Apple product.

I don't really need a laptop. I have 2 desktop PCs at home and the school I just bought the Macbook for surfing, mailing and some word processing stuff when I'm around. I must use PCs because of the softwares that I'm using.

I believe Vista just doesn't work for laptops. I'm really happy with it on PCs. So I decided to buy a Macbook mostly because of the design and paid that much money without any hesitation.

When I ended up with this problem, it was just a disaster. And also I waited for them to be released for 3 months.

I'm not gonna buy any Laptop PC. I'll wait them to fix it or maybe until next update

santa.claus
Oct 21, 2008, 05:21 PM
hey guys!

my MB is on its way from china - any idea if this would have the same battery cover problem too? I mean, have we been able to pin point if this problem is of a geographical nature - in other words, any specific part of the world where we are facing this problem?

Also, if apple identifies this as a problem, will they help us to fix it by providing replacements? I mean after spending a relatively high amount of money, can we expect extraordinary customer support? this is my first apple product so I really dont know. Thanks a lot!

Primejimbo
Oct 21, 2008, 05:26 PM
I took my cover off and put it back on and it was loose, so I took it off and played with it. It went back on and it's fine. It seems like it has to be perfectly straight before you lock it on.

santa.claus
Oct 21, 2008, 06:30 PM
I took my cover off and put it back on and it was loose, so I took it off and played with it. It went back on and it's fine. It seems like it has to be perfectly straight before you lock it on.

Hi Primejimbo!

Did you order your MB online? Or did you pick it up from the store? Also, are you planning to take your MB to apple store to get it replaced?

Alucardx03
Oct 21, 2008, 11:06 PM
hey guys!

my MB is on its way from china - any idea if this would have the same battery cover problem too? I mean, have we been able to pin point if this problem is of a geographical nature - in other words, any specific part of the world where we are facing this problem?

Also, if apple identifies this as a problem, will they help us to fix it by providing replacements? I mean after spending a relatively high amount of money, can we expect extraordinary customer support? this is my first apple product so I really dont know. Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, this problem seems to affect everyone, either MB or MBP. While a lot of people on this thread are having the problem with a MB, I am having the problem with my new MBP, so it seems to stretch over geography and model.

It's good that Apple has such a liberal return policy. If there is something wrong, you should be able to get it exchanged at the store with little problem.

If this is a really widespread issue, it appears as though the problem can be remedied with a replacement cover. So I wouldn't worry about your soon-to-be-arriving MB. Just enjoy it. If there's a problem, take a drive to the nearest Apple store.

Just to put your mind at ease, even if there is a clicking problem, it can most likely be fixed by altering the tabs slightly as discussed earlier in the thread. If you have a sliding cover, a simple exchange will do the trick.

santa.claus
Oct 22, 2008, 07:23 AM
Unfortunately, this problem seems to affect everyone, either MB or MBP. While a lot of people on this thread are having the problem with a MB, I am having the problem with my new MBP, so it seems to stretch over geography and model.

It's good that Apple has such a liberal return policy. If there is something wrong, you should be able to get it exchanged at the store with little problem.

If this is a really widespread issue, it appears as though the problem can be remedied with a replacement cover. So I wouldn't worry about your soon-to-be-arriving MB. Just enjoy it. If there's a problem, take a drive to the nearest Apple store.

Just to put your mind at ease, even if there is a clicking problem, it can most likely be fixed by altering the tabs slightly as discussed earlier in the thread. If you have a sliding cover, a simple exchange will do the trick.

Thanks a lot buddy! I'm really looking forward to my macbook. Appreciate your help!

Munitalp
Oct 22, 2008, 08:00 AM
My MB is 3 days old now and still doesn't have this issue -- but for those with it, I think it can be easily fixed by a new cover.

PresentACat
Oct 22, 2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks I got it.

The Macbook was my first Laptop and Apple product.

I don't really need a laptop. I have 2 desktop PCs at home and the school I just bought the Macbook for surfing, mailing and some word processing stuff when I'm around. I must use PCs because of the softwares that I'm using.

I believe Vista just doesn't work for laptops. I'm really happy with it on PCs. So I decided to buy a Macbook mostly because of the design and paid that much money without any hesitation.

When I ended up with this problem, it was just a disaster. And also I waited for them to be released for 3 months.

I'm not gonna buy any Laptop PC. I'll wait them to fix it or maybe until next update

You beleive Vista just doesn't work on laptops?
I can't even begin to say what is wrong with this comment. Is Vista more demanding than XP? Yes. Is it about 1000 times better? Yes.
Did XP require more power to run nicely than 2000? Oh yes.

The answer? Get a laptop with specs which launched in the Vista era, not a base spec jobby that is more suited to XP.

Ice Man
Oct 22, 2008, 11:30 PM
So I am a first time Mac owner. Just picked mine new Aluminum MB the friday after they came out. Got the 2.0GHz and the full up warranty at Best Buy. Something worthy of note.....you know how the education discount for the 2.0GHz Aluminum MB is only $50 on apples website, well I asked the folks at my Best Buy how much of a student discount they were going to give me and they said that they would just give me whatever it was before (obviously not educated enough on Apple)....which means I got a $100 education discount on the new 2.0GHz Alu MB.

OK. Down to business. I really enjoyed what Alucardx03 had to say about being your own Mr. Fix It. I think that that should work. But for anyone who doesn't want to have to do that on their own and or bought their new MB at a Best Buy Store I have news for you...

I took my MB in because it had a loose battery cover and after looking on this thread decided to take it in (I also had the case of some wickedly slanted Function keys). After looking at both problems the Geek Squad guy look right at me and said: "We get you a new one right now"

Now I've had some bad customer service experiences with Best Buy in the past, but that was amazing. We grabbed one from off the shelf, went through the exchange process, came home and booted with a Time Machine drive (I was prepared) and it was like I had never even exchanged it.

A word of advice though. I am currently typing on my 2nd MB and after tomorrow it will be #3. The Function keys on this (2nd) one are even more slanted than the 1st one. I wondered if it could have been a bad batch or something so when I went in I looked at the display model and saw that -yes- it is possible for all of the Function keys to be flat and not slanted. So if you are going to go in and do an exchange, consider taking a peak at it before you leave the store so as to make sure that you are 100% happy with it and don't have to just come back in because those Function keys are worse off still.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

Also, sorry about the long post, I'm horrible at telling stories, way way way too many details. Good Luck. Cheers.

John585
Oct 22, 2008, 11:39 PM
Has anyone been able to get a replacement battery/hd cover? I went to the apple store on Monday and they said to wait a week before they can order that part.

khunsanook
Oct 22, 2008, 11:50 PM
hey guys!

As far as I know, ALL MacBooks are designed in California but made in China.

Crash1234
Oct 23, 2008, 12:04 AM
If you're battery cover is loose I say take it back. Apple's quality control seems to stink as I have had issues with three macbooks having warped lids, never had the battery cover problem, but it's the same idea. No, it doesn't effect the functionality of the product but for this kind of money it should be built well. Have you ever seen a windows based pc from any company have consistently bent lids and loose battery covers? I'm sure some do but it's not as widespread as this issue with apple. And not returning it b/c other wise its a great product just lets apple get away with selling products that are poor quality. Why fix it if people buy it? take it back an get a new one. Such a physical imperfection on a machine this expensive is hardly acceptable in my opinion.

jbg232
Oct 23, 2008, 08:29 AM
I too had the battery cover issue and the slanted keys. My first computer's battery cover was so slanted that apple forced (yes, forced) me to take a new one with the hard drives swapped out so that they could send it in to "engineering" and use my computer as a case study I guess. The computer they replaced it with has the slanted function keys but all the ones at the store had them as well so I'm not going to bother to return it.

tuinte
Oct 23, 2008, 08:46 AM

Oh, wow, THAT's what people are complaining about? I would rate that a non-issue and enjoy my laptop.

rufwork
Oct 23, 2008, 11:00 AM
I kind of agree with that. While I am a huge fan of apple computers, they seem to care less about their customers.

This is where the Mac Genius comes in. I've returned a faulty iBook (bent easily, though I was much more careful with the new one, *not* putting it into a computer bag) without any problem. Less than 30 minutes and I was out the door with a new one. Impressive.

I've even returned an iPod Shuffle that got washed -- ur, I mean, I don't know what happened -- without any complaint. I fessed up and everything.

The Apple stores make up for the shoddy quality, which is still starting to concern me. But if you're not near a store, well... Dell?

polaris20
Oct 23, 2008, 11:19 AM
Oh, wow, THAT's what people are complaining about? I would rate that a non-issue and enjoy my laptop.

How is that a non-issue? I've never seen a laptop do that before. It's most definitely an issue on a $1600 "premium" laptop.

OZMP
Oct 23, 2008, 12:50 PM
i returned my blackbook as it was junk, and was holdiing out for one of these, but it seems they are in the same boat... the iPhone 3g fit and finnish is terrible too, creaks in my hand.

LONG LIVE THE MAC PRO(acd on the coffee table, me on the couch :P )

PeterQC
Oct 23, 2008, 01:02 PM
Have'nt checked for dead pixels, but mine's perfect so far :D

chrisiw
Oct 23, 2008, 01:32 PM

Not sure where you guys are, but in the UK they have to replace it if faulty within the first 14 days, Its the Law!

southerndoc
Oct 23, 2008, 04:31 PM
I thought I didn't have the slanted keys problem, but I just now noticed that the function keys are slanted a bit. The left side of each key is lower than the right.

It's barely noticeable, and I surely won't return my MacBook just for this. However, it does show how crappy Apple's quality control has gotten lately. For such an expensive product as compared to Windows machines, one would think they would excel at such basic quality controls.

AboveTheChaos
Oct 23, 2008, 04:46 PM
Has anyone had any success getting the stores to replace them? I took mine off of my Macbook Pro and now mine slides around too. It's just annoying and I'm concerned that it'll allow dust and dirt to get in. My store isn't exactly the easiest to work with when it comes to problems. (They have been useless with getting my MB Air to run. I have nothing running except the Apple keynote and after 20 min it'll grind to a stop. They just say that the Air isn't made to handle it and it works within spec.) Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should even try. If others are successful, I may just do it. Oh yeah, and I've got the slanted function keys too but I've been ignoring that but I figure if I keep having issues I'll try and get a replacement.

mawsoccer
Oct 23, 2008, 07:59 PM
Mine is also slightly loose. To those of you saying to just live with it, F U!

I did not just drop $2700 on this machine to have something like that crap go wrong with it in the first week.

Also, my 2.8 ghz MBP burns battery like crazy!!!!!!

I got down to 60% after running a video on fox on demand for 45 minutes and leaving it asleep in my backpack for an hour and a half.

It was running on better battery life too.

I don't know if that would be a valid complaint or not, but I'm going to call or go to an Apple Store and see whats up.

I'm gonna be pissed though if I have to wait another 6 days for them to ship one from China again though.

Apple makes 1.18 billion dollars in a quarter ... they got plenty of spare money to remedy these poor quality machines ... if not, they don't deserve our business. I'll get a frickin PC and turn it into a Hackintosh just like my desktop!

duffyanneal
Oct 23, 2008, 08:19 PM
I swapped my MB for a MBP and the only thing I could find wrong was a slightly loose access cover. I did two things to fix it.

1. Loosened the four small screws (hidden under the access panel) on the main panel and pressed down (lightly) on the center of the panel. This forced the main panel to move slightly towards the front of the machine. I tightened the screws while pressing down.

2. I slightly bent the tabs on the access panel that slide into the front lip of the machine. This firms up the front of the panel so it doesn't move around, and it forces the panel rearward which makes it mate up with the rear panel.

Now my access panel fits just as nicely as my former MB. No gap and no movement.

Vulcan
Oct 23, 2008, 09:07 PM
Didn't Apple say Quality Control was supposed to go up here?

everlast77
Oct 24, 2008, 04:35 AM

Can u please do a better instruction how to do this, I don't really get it

//Everlast

hierobryan
Oct 24, 2008, 05:49 AM
This is such an easy fix, I'm surprised people haven't figured it out yet. You just slightly bend the tabs so that the gap is smaller. The tabs I'm talking about are the ones that connect to the front part of the laptop frame. That's what I did to mine and now it's perfectly fine...it doesn't move at all.

everlast77
Oct 24, 2008, 06:00 AM
This is such an easy fix, I'm surprised people haven't figured it out yet. You just slightly bend the tabs so that the gap is smaller. The tabs I'm talking about are the ones that connect to the front part of the laptop frame. That's what I did to mine and now it's perfectly fine...it doesn't move at all.

Can you please post a pictures of the tabs that I should bend

//Everlast

everlast77
Oct 24, 2008, 06:23 AM

Is it these tabs that I should bend ?

How should I bend them ?

//Everlast

TheSandman2236
Oct 24, 2008, 07:44 AM
Is it these tabs that I should bend ?

How should I bend them ?

//Everlast

Bend those circled areas towards the floor. (Down) Just put some even light pressure. You prob. won't physically see them move.

everlast77
Oct 24, 2008, 10:30 AM
Ok, I've fixt it. Now it's perfect !

Thanks !

//E

pik.
Oct 24, 2008, 10:47 AM
I m really happy that this problem is getting easily fixed....

try bend the plastic on a Vaio-HP....:D

AboveTheChaos
Oct 24, 2008, 11:17 AM
Well, I since I have an issue with my function keys being noticeably slanted (I was going to live with it) and now since my battery cover slides, I thought I'd take it in. Well the genius played with the keys and said they're not level but "good enough" and as for the sliding battery cover all the models do it so it's not a design issue. I asked if the gap would allow moisture or dust to get in and harm the computer and he said no. He wouldn't replace it. I was kind of shocked that they wouldn't take it more seriously but he said it was all cosmetic and that the machine still functions.

teflontex
Oct 24, 2008, 11:20 AM

i have that very same problem, and the slanty keys,

bought mine from a reseller (comet in the uk)

they half gave me the run around because i said it had a fault,
in the end i just told them i didnt want it (under the 14 day no questions asked return policy)

now i'm getting a replacement delivery sorted , will probably be monday now before i hear back from them,

so hope the next one doesnt do it, its really annoying!!

am i being fickle?

jav6454
Oct 24, 2008, 11:21 AM
I have not seen the slanted F Keys problem yet, can anyone post picture?

Also, my cover is slightly loose (id say ~.1mm) does not go up and down when I lift my GlassBook, neither does the metal click when I move it. But if I run my fingers through it the cover moves specially on the left side which moves ~.2mm.

hierobryan
Oct 24, 2008, 11:27 AM
Bend those circled areas towards the floor. (Down) Just put some even light pressure. You prob. won't physically see them move.

That's it! Go do it...NOW!

JRSimmons
Oct 24, 2008, 01:04 PM
I had the same issue as stated with the battery cover.

Took it to an apple store earlier and got a full refund. I'm stuck with what to do now..I love the design/features/capability of the macbook but I don't want to be everlasting taking it back to the store.
I was given the option to swap it over, change model or get the refund.
I'm tempted to wait for the Air to come out next month, or just go and get another 2.4!! - It's only for Uni work (MS Office mainly)

I'm stuck!

NB - It's not something anyone should have to put up with when paying 1,000 for a computer, the gap in mine was large enough not only to cause a nuisance with clicking, but also dust/dirt and moisture can quite easily get in to the battery/hard drive compartment..causing much more serious problems.

duffyanneal
Oct 24, 2008, 01:36 PM
I had the same issue as stated with the battery cover.

Took it to an apple store earlier and got a full refund. I'm stuck with what to do now..I love the design/features/capability of the macbook but I don't want to be everlasting taking it back to the store.
I was given the option to swap it over, change model or get the refund.
I'm tempted to wait for the Air to come out next month, or just go and get another 2.4!! - It's only for Uni work (MS Office mainly)

I'm stuck!

NB - It's not something anyone should have to put up with when paying 1,000 for a computer, the gap in mine was large enough not only to cause a nuisance with clicking, but also dust/dirt and moisture can quite easily get in to the battery/hard drive compartment..causing much more serious problems.

I exchanged my MB yesterday for a MBP and I'm glad I did. The display (I lucked out and got the 9C84) difference itself was worth the exchange.

Heleen
Oct 25, 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm very eager to buy the new MacBook as well and have been waiting for it for months. However this will be my first Apple product and I'm slightly worried about the whole return/repair thing in case it will have the slanted keys (which I've actually seen on one in a store, it was the first thing I noticed), the cover problem or a bad display.

I'm from the UK and would like to order it online, because the nearest real Apple store is in Manchester (which is 2 hours away) and because the back to school deal is still on here (I'm a student).
So I was wondering if someone could tell me what my rights are with replacing the notebook in case it's faulty. Can I go to an Apple store and ask for a replacement there? Or will I have to phone them up and send it to them? And will I be able to get a replacement even if I get the 'back to school' deal?
Will I have to pay for anything?

Thanks very much for replies!

P.s. I would like to order it with an US keyboard (because I'm actually Dutch and used to it) instead of an UK keyboard, does this make any difference in my returning options?

chrisiw
Oct 25, 2008, 11:04 AM
I'm very eager to buy the new MacBook as well and have been waiting for it for months. However this will be my first Apple product and I'm slightly worried about the whole return/repair thing in case it will have the slanted keys (which I've actually seen on one in a store, it was the first thing I noticed), the cover problem or a bad display.

I'm from the UK and would like to order it online, because the nearest real Apple store is in Manchester (which is 2 hours away) and because the back to school deal is still on here (I'm a student).
So I was wondering if someone could tell me what my rights are with replacing the notebook in case it's faulty. Can I go to an Apple store and ask for a replacement there? Or will I have to phone them up and send it to them? And will I be able to get a replacement even if I get the 'back to school' deal?
Will I have to pay for anything?

Thanks very much for replies!
In the UK, it is the company that sold it to you has to sort any problems, if it faulty, and in the first 14 days they have to replace it, "not repair it" so dont worry if a problem, and if they refused, you then contact Trading Standards and they will make it happen

txhil
Oct 25, 2008, 11:23 AM

Yep Chef, I do think you should have a perfect $3300 macbook pro. I paid about $3100 for mine and I am having a prominent warping problem with my lid, and also a warp where the teleport card thingamiajig would go in(yes feel free tech geeks and other name-sayers to correct me and badmouth my lack of knowledge). Mind you this is he second time this warping has happened. I had the Mac I ordered in Feb. replaced in March due to major lid warping and now I have another warping issue. Mine is not with the battery compartment but I would certainly see this as a problem. Ahhhh yes cheap labor. Maybe it's time to move things back to the US Apple! I will be taking this into the store. I still am under my year warranty and of course I bought Apple Care. Demand perfection people! It is what you pay for! I don't care how much you paid, It is always too much to pay retail for a Mac if it is not perfect in every way! Mind you my computer runs great but I expect the cosmetics to be just as great!!!

txhil
Oct 25, 2008, 11:31 AM
You can't return a BTO.

Yes you can but you do have to re-order it BTO and you will have to talk to Apple customer service. Go to your Apple store first and have those Genius guys document that you have brought it to them for a looksie. It is easier to talk via phone to Apple and to also get an re-order on your BTO BTW

Heleen
Oct 25, 2008, 11:39 AM
In the UK, it is the company that sold it to you has to sort any problems, if it faulty, and in the first 14 days they have to replace it, "not repair it" so dont worry if a problem, and if they refused, you then contact Trading Standards and they will make it happen

Thank you very much!
Just checking if I understand this correctly: within the first 14 days I will be able to get a faulty MacBook replaced even if I ordered it online with a US keyboard instead of a UK keyboard and with the back to school deal.

zergworld
Oct 25, 2008, 11:56 AM
I watched the Apple evangelist video on the new macbook pro's unibody frame... how solid and beautiful it is... and what an engineering marvel.

It's pretty ironic that Apple is flaunting its single-piece-of-aluminum unibody and delivers a loose battery cover...

Aqua lung
Oct 25, 2008, 12:24 PM
Now that is just a load of BS...my early 2008 white crackbook is what the 2nd or 3rd revision? My palmrest still cracked..."little" things like that, or with it seems this loose battery cover problem, are things they would rather fix on a case-by-case basis rather than revamping the whole line. It has nothing to do with first gen or not.

I agree... I have the late 2007 crackbook, for the same price I could have got myself a decent rugged laptop. I have the first gen iPhone and it's still immaculate so the first of everything is not always the case.

So now what do we call this oversight by Apple the 'loosebook'? I'm slowly becoming disillusioned by Apple, was really looking forward to getting the new macbook but I think I'll look elsewhere and say goodbye to OSX.

The Samurai
Oct 25, 2008, 12:46 PM
I've posted a video of my battery problem here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-BCIBAyJc).

duffyanneal
Oct 25, 2008, 01:13 PM
I've posted a video of my battery problem here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-BCIBAyJc).

Did you fix it yet or is Apple going to exchange it for you? It takes less than thirty seconds to fix.

chrisiw
Oct 25, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thank you very much!
Just checking if I understand this correctly: within the first 14 days I will be able to get a faulty MacBook replaced even if I ordered it online with a US keyboard instead of a UK keyboard and with the back to school deal. Yes! they have to replace "Like for Like" if there is a problem, but make sure you use a UK based company, I use John Lewis as they give one year extra cover free of charge, and deliver every where even the "Isle of Wight" where I live, I got my iMac from them,Amazon are good as well

chrisiw
Oct 25, 2008, 01:33 PM
I agree... I have the late 2007 crackbook, for the same price I could have got myself a decent rugged laptop. I have the first gen iPhone and it's still immaculate so the first of everything is not always the case.

So now what do we call this oversight by Apple the 'loosebook'? I'm slowly becoming disillusioned by Apple, was really looking forward to getting the new macbook but I think I'll look elsewhere and say goodbye to OSX.I think allot of us are becoming disillusioned with Apple! these are premium products and should be premium quality, but what i am seeing on here, is putting allot of doubt in my mind.

GoCubsGo
Oct 25, 2008, 01:42 PM

That is not what I expected. Mine is perfect afaik.
I am grateful to have had wonderful "luck" with my machines. And now that I said that I am certain one is about to explode.

mawsoccer
Oct 25, 2008, 02:59 PM
That is not what I expected. Mine is perfect afaik.
I am grateful to have had wonderful "luck" with my machines. And now that I said that I am certain one is about to explode.

Those of you who seem to think your machines are perfect ... have you taken the back panel off and put it back on?

You don't think our machines came loose do you?

The Samurai
Oct 25, 2008, 03:29 PM
Did you fix it yet or is Apple going to exchange it for you? It takes less than thirty seconds to fix.

I am hoping Apple is either going to A) replace the battery latch with a proper one or B) give me a replacement laptop.

I should not be fixing anything on my side, I didn't pay a grand for something that should have been sorted from Apple's side.

AboveTheChaos
Oct 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
Ok, just to update on my circumstance. The first attempt to get my MB Pro replaced didn't work but I had left a message for the manager to call me. He did and I explained everything to him. He was very genuine and really wanted to figure out what was going on. Anyway, I brought it back and they did replace it. BUT, he said that they weren't really replacing it because of the battery cover being loose because all of the models in the store are like that. He said that the fact that my function keys were obviously slanted was why they would replace it. We checked the machine at the store and the replacement's function keys were almost perfect (very slight slant so it didn't bother me). The battery cover, though, did slide after I took it off. He said if Apple came out with a replacement cover, I'd have no trouble getting one. So I took it. Well, I get home and start it up and I had 2 dead pixels. I went back and they were very nice and swapped it right away. We checked everything before I left and get this, the third one, doesn't have a problem with the battery cover. I took it off several times and put it back on and it doesn't slide at all. Maybe it was a bad batch or Apple's already started fixing them? (He did say the one I got came in yesterday).

The Samurai
Oct 25, 2008, 09:01 PM
I am sure it will be sorted. Nothing is 100%. Every company has little faults like this, some companies have major issues. Dell, Tosh, Sony... everyone has them.

duffyanneal
Oct 25, 2008, 09:03 PM
I am hoping Apple is either going to A) replace the battery latch with a proper one or B) give me a replacement laptop.

I should not be fixing anything on my side, I didn't pay a grand for something that should have been sorted from Apple's side.

So instead of spending a couple of seconds to fix it you would rather waste your time and effort to have Apple fix it? You must not value your time much. I'm not trying to give you a hard time I understand how you feel. But I know that I get pretty twisted about such things and the sooner I can get it rectified the better.

As far as why this is happening if you guys take a look at the panel you can see the tab section is spot welded to the bottom panel. If the panel is misaligned by a fraction of an inch you're going to see the problem. If the gap is a millimeter or two you can fix it by slightly bending the tabs. If it is more than that then the panel probably needs to be replaced.

MacBook08
Oct 25, 2008, 11:36 PM
I've had my aluminum MacBook for about a week now. I've taken the battery cover off about three or four times and I've removed the battery about two times. I've had no problems whatsoever. But, I did notice that if not gentle when closing it, the lid might actually close incorrectly. I'm going to be real careful from now on-actually, I'll probably never open it again (for now, no real need to). I wouldn't want this to happen to me.

gdsingh
Oct 26, 2008, 12:29 AM
just got my macbook today [2.4], really happy with it.

i have the slanted function keys, like two of them but i dont mind that much.

the first thing i did was check the battery cover and it wasnt loose but i opened it and put it back on and now i feel that it is kind of loose but i think ill be okay with it, overall, really happy.

mawsoccer
Oct 26, 2008, 01:19 PM
Took my MBP 2.8Ghz into the store and they couldn't exchange or return it because it was custom.

While I was there, I checked all the other MBPs and they all had the loose battery cover.

I called Apple Care and they said they would consider it DOA since that was the only condition that would allow me to exchange or return it.

I ordered a new one and got free expedited shipping for my inconvenience (Still coming from China though :( ). I get to keep my old one until the new one comes, then I send it back with all of its stuff in the box the new one came in and get my refund a few days after they receive it.

I would have returned it, but there are a couple posts above this one that suggest Apple might have already taken action or just verified the fact that there are some bad batches.

I wouldn't have made as much of a fuss if I didn't already have a tiny scratch on it.(Someone I showed it to had rings on their fingers :( )

My invisible shield is coming next week hopefully ... so my new one will be scratch free and hopefully perfect.

I just realized my machine serial was kinda cool though. It had FE4R in it!:D

Oh well.

I'll continue following this thread for a few more days just to see how everyone else makes out with their problems.

Good Luck!

WaterSoul
Oct 27, 2008, 11:22 AM
I got a new Macbook a few days ago and since i've removed the battery cover, it is loose and sliding like in the youtube video.

Called AppleCare, they said to take it to a genius.

It would be nice to get a new cover.

tom burns
Oct 27, 2008, 04:09 PM
I bought my new 2.53 MBP this morning.
I went home, and i saw that i had the sliding battery cover,
but only from one side. And I noticed that the whole bottom was 'rotated'...
I went back and they gave me another one.
This one has a dent on the right next to the trackpad...
Like somebody has hit it...
I am returning it tomorrow...
:(

me2000
Oct 27, 2008, 04:47 PM
You would think these issues would be resolved by now!

Hopefully when I order mine on the 14th, these small issues will be resolved..

subru77
Oct 27, 2008, 05:54 PM
I am expecting my new Macbook Pro later this week. I bought it from Macconnecitons. There is a good chance for it to be faulty. Can i just take it to any Apple store ?:rolleyes:

This is my first Mac !

mawsoccer
Oct 27, 2008, 07:54 PM
I am expecting my new Macbook Pro later this week. I bought it from Macconnecitons. There is a good chance for it to be faulty. Can i just take it to any Apple store ?:rolleyes:

This is my first Mac !

Did you get a custom model or a stock model?

Any stock models should be exchangeable in an apple store.

If you have any problems with it, try taking it into the apple store with your reciept and everything that came with it. They should be able to exchange it for you.

Let us know how things work out.

subru77
Oct 27, 2008, 08:50 PM

If you have any problems with it, try taking it into the apple store with your reciept and everything that came with it. They should be able to exchange it for you.

Thankfully, I purchased the stock model :)

southerndoc
Oct 27, 2008, 09:35 PM
You would think these issues would be resolved by now!

Hopefully when I order mine on the 14th, these small issues will be resolved..

Do you honestly expect Apple to revamp the entire manufacturing process in only a week?

These issues should have been caught during quality control measures and production should not have been allowed until dry runs showed no problems.

qwikrex
Oct 28, 2008, 01:31 AM
I hadn't noticed any movement or looseness in the battery cover since I've had my macbook. I decided to take it off, and low and behold, when I put it back on it was loose. I followed the advice mentioned above and bent the front tabs down. No more movement or loose battery cover. I think people are making a bigger deal about this than there needs to be. Rather than take it back for an exchange, take a minute, bend the tabs down a little, and enjoy your notebook.

tom burns
Oct 28, 2008, 05:39 AM
I went back to the applestore, but they didnt have any other MBP in stock,
so they gave me a refund...
And now I have to wait again for them to bring new ones...

tiartrop
Oct 28, 2008, 08:47 AM
I just checked my battery cover and yes it's a bit loose, but nothing I'd say major, it doesn't produce any noticeable clicking sound. I did upgrade my hard drive so I took off the cover for countless times.

I have yet to try the fix, but for now I'm more concerned about getting a replacement screw for the hard drive bracket. The original one had to be drilled out because it wouldn't budge at all.

mklnz
Oct 28, 2008, 07:36 PM
Guys, it is EASILY fixed, no need to take your laptop for an exchange for something like this.

I just got my Macbook today, yes it was a bit loose but only about 1-2mm.
I followed the directions couple of pages back, just _slightly_ bend the tabs on the battery cover down.

Walla! Now it doesn't move at all.

drew0020
Oct 28, 2008, 08:04 PM
mine was loose, but not a major problem at all.

chiseenchinaman
Oct 28, 2008, 09:03 PM
sooo after looking at this thing, i think what makes the cover loose is the panel being bent slightly... i bent the cover around a little and the looseness went away. it can still move but you have to really try at it. BUT DON'T BREAK THE cheap THING! i'm not paypal-ing anyone to have their covers fixed

hfg
Oct 29, 2008, 12:11 AM
I think the very act of removing the cover causes it to become loose. If you lift the cover up, bending it back until it pops off, you will probably bend the small tabs slightly which will cause the cover to seem loose when it is replaced.

Simply bending the tabs slightly as mentioned several posts back will fix the problem. Very easy!

The next time you remove it, don't lift it as far before pulling it forward and the tabs will remain tight.

-howard

thespyglass
Oct 29, 2008, 07:40 AM
LOOSE:
Mine wasn't loose when I got it but then it started moving very slightly back and forth, like the video that was posted only a very small amount. I tried the bending-the-tabs solution and it helped, though I doubt there's much from stopping the tabs from bending back, if they're so easily bent, and the problem recurring. Of course they needed to be slightly malleable to avoid the tabs snapping off too easily.

NOT FLUSH:
I've noticed - as some others have with their machines - that the side that covers the hard drive is not quite flush with the casing and I wonder if that's to do with how tough that plastic tab is?! Could it be forcing the cover out of place? (Apologies if someone else has already mentioned this.) Anyone without that plastic tab still not have a flush cover?

mcdj
Oct 29, 2008, 11:01 AM
NOT FLUSH:
I've noticed - as some others have with their machines - that the side that covers the hard drive is not quite flush with the casing and I wonder if that's to do with how tough that plastic tab is?! Could it be forcing the cover out of place? (Apologies if someone else has already mentioned this.) Anyone without that plastic tab still not have a flush cover?

I just removed my cover for the first time, to put a little padding under the trackpad. Having read about all the issues, I removed the cover VERY gingerly.

I based my approach on the idea that the technician at the Apple store had installed my RAM and the cover had already been removed by them, and yet it fit perfectly and tightly, so there MUST be a method of removal/replacement that facilitates this.

1. At first glance, it would seem that after opening the latch, you have to pull the cover upwards in order for it to come off. Instead, I found that just wiggling it a tiny bit did the trick. My tabs were perfect upon inspection. I have a feeling the tabs are getting bent by people putting too much force on them initially. One thing's for sure though; the removal process is not very intuitive.

2. Upon replacing the cover, I could tell it was going to stick up too high over the hard drive, thus creating an uneven seam upon closing it all the way. Some have probably just tried to push it flat, again, bending the tabs.

I found that there is a tiny bit of lateral (left/right) room when re-seating the cover. It may seem as if you're placing it perfectly, but in reality it needs to move to the right a bit. If you lay the cover in position, tabs first, then move the cover slightly right towards the battery by a millimeter or so, it closes perfectly flush. At least mine did. And if you didn't appy too much force when opening it, you *should* have a perfect fitting, tight battery cover.

Obviously if your cover was loose without ever opening it, this doesn't apply to you.

gentleman00
Oct 29, 2008, 10:29 PM
I have the same issue with my battery cover. I think this is a fundamental design flaw. Why didn't apple design the battery like the previous models? The cover is going to be a constant pain. It can easily bend. Was it because they wanted to reduce the height on the macbook from one inch to .95 inch?

subru77
Oct 29, 2008, 10:55 PM

I got mine and guess what. It has the click. I hate to replace it .. But there is no choice. I do not mind if they can bend it and fix at the apple shop. I do not want to make a permanent damage to it. It looks delicate ..

mawsoccer
Oct 30, 2008, 06:29 PM
OMFG, I just got the replacement today ... This one came straight out of the box with scratches and a battery cover looser than the 1st one without ever opening the frickin machine.

******* APPLE!

I'm extremely close to never buying another Apple product for the rest of my life.

southerndoc
Oct 31, 2008, 10:35 PM
I'm extremely close to never buying another Apple product for the rest of my life.

Good luck with that one. I've told myself that numerous times because quite frankly, the quality of Apple products really sucks lately. Everytime I consider switching to Windows, I find myself nauseated at even having to click the "Start" menu.

McGiord
Nov 1, 2008, 07:55 AM
Any update with good news for this issue?
Are the new ones still showing this problem?
Anyone has received a replacement cover that doesn't have the problem?

mcdj
Nov 1, 2008, 08:21 AM
Any update with good news for this issue? Do you mean has Apple completely redesigned the battery cover in the last 48 hours? What are you expecting to hear?

Are the new ones still showing this problem? They're ALL new. It's been out under 3 weeks. There are no old ones.

Anyone has received a replacement cover that doesn't have the problem? Who said anything about getting a replacement cover? Some people have exchanged their computer. My battery cover is tight, so there ARE ones out there that don't have "the problem".

Eesh. R E L A X D U D E

PresentACat
Nov 1, 2008, 08:46 AM
I never even removed my battery cover, but it already had a fair amount of play in it (especially on one side) and I could feel it shift when I picked the Macbook up.

thespyglass
Nov 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
I based my approach on the idea that the technician at the Apple store had installed my RAM and the cover had already been removed by them, and yet it fit perfectly and tightly, so there MUST be a method of removal/replacement that facilitates this.
<snip helpfulness>

Thank you, I'll try this next time the thing is off. Cheer :)

mac jones
Nov 1, 2008, 09:14 AM
loosey-goosey

But I think 'exchange' is a bit drastic.

Worst case, you could get a replacement cover I would think.

(rather than a replacement Macbook :D )

Update;

I just took '5' seconds and carefully removed and then reseated the 'very cheap' cover

Problem solved

If you return your Macbook because of this you are.....like totally nutz :D

subru77
Nov 3, 2008, 12:35 AM
I was expecting more complaints here but the thread is dying ...

Can we assume that apple fixed the flaw ?

Alucardx03
Nov 3, 2008, 10:27 PM
I was expecting more complaints here but the thread is dying ...

Can we assume that apple fixed the flaw ?

I highly doubt that Apple fixed the flaw. I think a lot of people are just realizing that they can easily fix the problem themselves... Unless you have an extremely loose cover, an exchange is very drastic.

iphoneCDN
Nov 12, 2008, 12:51 AM
I hadn't noticed any movement or looseness in the battery cover since I've had my macbook. I decided to take it off, and low and behold, when I put it back on it was loose. I followed the advice mentioned above and bent the front tabs down. No more movement or loose battery cover. I think people are making a bigger deal about this than there needs to be. Rather than take it back for an exchange, take a minute, bend the tabs down a little, and enjoy your notebook.

I never thought this was an issue until I found this thread. However, after taking the time to READ this thread, the mentioned do it yourself fix WORKS!

I just put some slight pressure on the tabs (so I wouldn't snap off that long metal piece) and now my battery lid is good as new. I don't think I'll be removing the lid anytime soon. ;) Thanks for the help guys.

Locker
Nov 12, 2008, 03:19 AM
Flexing the battery case can defiantly solve the issue - I posted some before/after shots of my battery case in this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6588906&postcount=46) post.

itsdman
Nov 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
Actually my macbook doesn't have an issue like the one in the video. Instead mine makes a creaky noise everytime i rest my left wrist on the left side of the laptop.

so it has something to do with the battery cover i guess.

Anyone else have this issue?

CrownSeven
Nov 13, 2008, 02:18 PM
So what I thought was a perfect late 2008 MPB, now is not. After removing and reinstalling the battery cover, I now also have the loose battery cover problem.

On my MPB, the right side was loose, while the left was tight. I measured the battery cover and found that the right side was about 1/32 of an inch smaller than the left. I would say that this is probably why mine is shifting loose. I did bend the tabs, and that did fix the issue, but there still is a small gap.

I called apple and they said they would replace it. I am kind of leary to do so as my MBP is perfect in every other way, no dead pixels, and I have the 'better' screen.

I may just cancel the replacement and stick with this one. Hoping that apple comes out with a replacement cover, instead of just having to replace the entire machine.

Something interesting to note - the Customer service rep I spoke with from apple said that they had not heard of this issue before, even after speaking to a 'higher up department' about the issue while he had me on the line. I find that hard to believe.

VSMacOne
Nov 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
So what I thought was a perfect late 2008 MPB, now is not. After removing and reinstalling the battery cover, I now also have the loose battery cover problem.

On my MPB, the right side was loose, while the left was tight. I measured the battery cover and found that the right side was about 1/32 of an inch smaller than the left. I would say that this is probably why mine is shifting loose. I did bend the tabs, and that did fix the issue, but there still is a small gap.

I called apple and they said they would replace it. I am kind of leary to do so as my MBP is perfect in every other way, no dead pixels, and I have the 'better' screen.

I may just cancel the replacement and stick with this one. Hoping that apple comes out with a replacement cover, instead of just having to replace the entire machine.

Something interesting to note - the Customer service rep I spoke with from apple said that they had not heard of this issue before, even after speaking to a 'higher up department' about the issue while he had me on the line. I find that hard to believe.

I would definitely think twice about that replacement... There may be bigger issues with the new machine... :confused:

stackpointer
Nov 18, 2008, 07:41 AM
Actually my macbook doesn't have an issue like the one in the video. Instead mine makes a creaky noise everytime i rest my left wrist on the left side of the laptop.

so it has something to do with the battery cover i guess.

Anyone else have this issue?

Same here.

This is the only fault I found in my new Aluminum Macbook but I'm not sure about requesting a full replacement. Perhaps the best way to act here would be waiting for an Apple ACK for the flaw and a future cover replacement.

Ryffie
Nov 18, 2008, 08:42 AM
I have a small gap but it's not like the end of the world.

stackpointer
Nov 18, 2008, 02:34 PM
Well, after reading tons of messages and comments about the battery cover flaw I decided to extract it and slightly fold the famous tabs (with a lot of love) in order to achieve a better fit and avoid this annoying issue.

After several tries it looks like I found the right angle for the tabs (unluckily modified by the first opening, I guess) and now the cover fits perfectly, it does not move at all! :)

Anyway, new covers with less flexible tabs would be good :)

amrgeorge
Nov 23, 2008, 01:03 AM
i'm having a slightly different problem than the one that most people have described...

my battery cover appears to be tight and snug, although not entirely flush. it's really no problem though, and i don't think it has to do with what my problem is.

if i pick up my macbook on the left side, or if i turn the macbook over and press down on certain parts of the left side (above the latch, for reference), i hear a creak. it's really not a big deal--i was told be an apple genius that i could return my macbook and get a new one, but i've already invested a lot of data into this machine and i would truly hate to have to migrate to a new one.

the sound is like the sound heard in flexing on the white and blackbooks.

has anyone else encountered this problem?

for clarification, i did start to notice the sound after i had removed the battery cover (did so out of curiosity, unfortunately :/). also, while at the apple store i played around with the other macbooks and none of them had this problem. although none of them were the 2.4, so i'm wondering if that's another issue.

FerdiV
Nov 23, 2008, 05:58 AM
People, does the problem still exists when you close the cover with the hatch? Or do you use your fingers to push it back in?

I don't own a Aluminum MacBook but I wonder.

maxshanly
Dec 2, 2008, 03:59 AM
My battery cover fits but is loose and my MacBook creaks a fair bit when you open and close it.

VSMacOne
Dec 5, 2008, 12:05 AM
Has anybody attempted to get a replacement battery cover?! NO WAY i'm getting my MB replaced, but I'm considering trying to get a replacement batt cover, as mine is driving me CRAZY! Anybody attempt this so far?

8theapple
Dec 6, 2008, 02:11 PM
I may have missed somehting along the lines of the DIY fix.

Which direction do you bend the 4 tabs? Someone mentioned towards the floor, but bending the tab either way bends the tabs "towards the floor".

I was owndering if someone could post some pictures or provide a more concise description.

My battery cover is snug but I hear slight clicking when I set my macbook down.

Thanks everyone!

sangosimo
Dec 7, 2008, 12:55 AM
here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6489449#post6489449

VSMacOne
Dec 28, 2008, 12:16 PM
So I had my battery cover replaced by Apple.
It wasn't just wobbly or loose, it was simply crooked, and bent really bad. So I finally had the time to call Apple Care, and after 15 minutes on the phone they sent me a replacement. This one works much better, but I noticed they padded the clips on the ends of the cover.. They now have tiny foam pads inside the creases, and they make the cover less wobbly.
Has anybody else noticed this?

will-mitch-123
Dec 30, 2008, 04:02 PM
I got my Aluminum MacBook a few days ago, and straight away started inspecting it. I removed the battery cover to find i couldn't replace it properly.

i found that if you do not apply a small amount of force when the cover is only hinged (not closed) the cover does not fit back in place when closed.

hope that helps!!

Bupkus
Dec 30, 2008, 05:37 PM
Duct Tape is your friend.....and it's silver.:D

Anyhow, got my 2.0ghz yesterday and it has a tight battery cover, no slanted keys and no dead pixels.....

I used to have OCD when it came to "things"....one of the great personality traits I got from my Dad. Over the years I realized that nothing is perfect....nothing. If you look hard enough, open things you should leave close you will find manufacturing defects etc. Just using things and trying to be as careful as possible, things will still wear and get scratched, bent, dented...discolored. In fact my Macbook will be scratched by January 8th...around 3 PM.

For me Macs are all about the software and the OS. The hardware while built to a high standard then most other builders, has never been perfect

Just what i have seen using Macs since the late 80's....

cogsinister
Dec 30, 2008, 06:05 PM

I waited for days before i removed the battery cover......but now after putting the door back on it fits perfectly.....*sigh of relief*

petermcphee
Dec 30, 2008, 06:08 PM
How long will it take before Apple sells the battery covers separately as replacement pieces? Or will they ever?

VSMacOne
Dec 31, 2008, 01:28 AM
How long will it take before Apple sells the battery covers separately as replacement pieces? Or will they ever?

I don't know about selling them, but if you read a few posts up you'll find out that Apple Care will replace bad ones...

rtmadden
Jan 21, 2009, 01:24 PM
My MB (Late 2008) also has the "creaking" and battery cover issue, though the battery cover issue is not as severe as in the video. I've considered calling Applecare/going into the Genius Bar...

gcortega
Jan 23, 2009, 07:25 PM
I just received my 2.4 macbook aluminum and removed the battery cover but when I put it back on there is a small gap towards the left side of the cover next to the latch. It really didn't bother me until I actually read this thread and realized this was an actual problem. I decided to call up Apple and get them to replace it for me. The next one I get I'm not going to touch the battery cover. Hopefully I don't get one with any dead pixels or slanted keys :rolleyes:

Patthecat12
Feb 26, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hi i got my Macbook for christmas and it has a loose battery cover, Loose track pad (makes clicking noises when pressed, Can tighten it up but it gets annoying having to do it every day) and there is little tiny specs of dust behind the screen do you think i should send it back to get a replacement?
After all i did spend 900 odd pounds and you expect quality for that price

also i have noticed that the screen sometimes goes dull then bright again like a surge (but slow) i don't know if its meant to do this

The Samurai
Feb 26, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hi i got my Macbook for christmas and it has a loose battery cover, Loose track pad (makes clicking noises when pressed, Can tighten it up but it gets annoying having to do it every day) and there is little tiny specs of dust behind the screen do you think i should send it back to get a replacement?

also i have noticed that the screen sometimes goes dull then bright again like a surge (but slow) i don't know if its meant to do this

Take it in-store and get the cover and trackpad checked out.

In terms of brightness - I am pretty certain its the energy settings, it 'auto dims' the screen for saving battery life. This can be adjusted within system preferences to suit your needs.

VSMacOne
Feb 26, 2009, 12:43 PM

And you're just noticing these things now, 2 months later?! :rolleyes:

Patthecat12
Feb 26, 2009, 12:49 PM
thanks Samurai but the nearest apple store from me is miles away :(

VSmacone i only noticed these things since ive been doing some serious work on it for uni, and the first time i put in on a desk this rattling noise comes from the battery cover, And there was one speck of dust in the screen when i was first using it but for some reason they have multiplied:eek: and as i have said the trackpad is loose but only recently it was fine before:confused:

HLdan
Feb 26, 2009, 12:51 PM

The trackpad is suppose to make clicking noises when pressed. What do you mean by "tightening it up"? How can you tighten up trackpad? Also how can the trackpad be loose? Well, if you expect quality for that price you should have returned it the moment you opened it. Seeing that's it's now the end of February it obviously isn't that important to you.

Patthecat12
Feb 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
calm down I mean the trackpad makes NOT the ordinary click it sounds like a mixture of breaking glass/cricket, and there is a screw underneath the trackpad at the top and if you tighten that up it goes away, and maybe I didn't have the time to sit in front of the MB and glare at it for impurities

UPDATE: after reading this forum around page 8 I bent the metal things.. no more noise or loose battery cover that just leaves the dust and the trackpad (but maybe that was part of the loose cover as well:rolleyes:)
anyone have any clues for the dust, i think they appeared when my very old and senile old cat was sitting on my mac when it was in its case and she managed to push it off.:rolleyes:

alphaod
Feb 26, 2009, 02:57 PM
My cover doesn't slide around; in fact it's pretty tight when I'm trying to put it back on.

aluminumapple
Feb 26, 2009, 05:28 PM
not to be picky but my macbooks battery cover doesnt close fully.. it closes in the middle area but when you put your hand and slide it you can feel that it isnt fully closed in the upper left and right area. *anger*

5280m
Feb 26, 2009, 05:51 PM
mine was loose, and then apple gave me a new battery. it was tight for a while, but after taking the cover off it is loose again.

alimeksiki
Feb 27, 2009, 01:18 AM
hello guys ,

I had my MacBook now for less then a month and have the same issues like the rest, loose batt cover , loose latch.
called applecare after going thru tier 1 then 2 the customer relations , apple told me to go to the store and let a "genius" look at the macbook if they determined it os broken then customer relations agent said he would replace the macbook. we will see what happens as I go in tomorrow , i will hopefully report back that they replaced the macbook.

TheSandman2236
Feb 27, 2009, 10:30 AM
I think this is just an issue in how the cover is built, there's no way around this. And I dont think there's a way they can 'fix' it.

cogsinister
Feb 27, 2009, 01:09 PM
I think this is just an issue in how the cover is built, there's no way around this. And I dont think there's a way they can 'fix' it.

Oh i am sure they can...............

Slovig
Feb 28, 2009, 04:38 PM
My cover isn't loose at all, but when I go to put it back on, the edge by the latch, doesn't go down all the way, and forces me to push it down, otherwise it creates a small bump. Not that big of a deal, as I have only taken it off twice so far, once to look at the sexiness of the inside, and two, because i realized the bump, and thought I put it on wrong.

ZDDP1273
Feb 28, 2009, 05:15 PM
My cover is loose on the bottom right if you're looking at you're MacBook screen with it open and lift up the laptop. It's loose on the corner where your right hand would be when typing. Can I get it replaced?

fr00b
Mar 31, 2009, 07:09 PM
Mine was loose. As well as that, it wasn't flush at all. The battery cover was sticking out from both left and right sides.

The battery cover I had was basically making a clicking noise everytime I set it down on a hard surface such as a desk, because one of the tabs had come loose, so it was literally hanging on.

Took it to a Genius bar, and they ordered a new battery cover, replaced it.

However, the Genius had ripped off both the two rubber stoppers on the two tabs, as he thought they was there to reduce damage during transit.

brn2ski00
Mar 31, 2009, 07:52 PM
noticed mine the first day as well

cogsinister
Apr 1, 2009, 05:37 AM
Mine, amazingly for me, is just fine..............

TheSandman2236
Apr 1, 2009, 12:00 PM
Mine, amazingly for me, is just fine..............

Have you opened it before?

Darkroom
Apr 4, 2009, 08:27 AM
someone on youtube posted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbzx--isKN8) a video of their loose macbook battery cover.

a reply from samb8s: "just (gently!) bend the hooks under the cover inwards a little bit then put it back on - this should be an instant fix. I was having the exact same problem and now it's fixed."

windoosxp
May 10, 2009, 06:04 AM
With the bad alignment of the battery cover I contacted Apple Service Center.:apple:
After bringing the Macbook in for repair, the dealer accused me to claim a damage caused by dropping the notebook on purpose.:mad::mad:

I will object this acquisitions.

Does anybody know a website or web store where I can purchase a new aluminum battery cover????:confused:

Darkroom
May 10, 2009, 09:32 AM
With the bad alignment of the battery cover I contacted Apple Service Center.:apple:
After bringing the Macbook in for repair, the dealer accused me to claim a damage caused by dropping the notebook on purpose.:mad::mad:

I will object this acquisitions.

Does anybody know a website or web store where I can purchase a new aluminum battery cover????:confused:

you can buy it directly from apple care. it's like $40. some people have managed to receive new ones, free of charge, from apple by mail after claiming the cover is loose.

unixufan
Jun 8, 2009, 12:55 AM

Just got my macbook aluminum 3 days ago, having played with this machine quite a while. two aspects of this new model are bothering me,

1. loose battery cover (making noticeable sound when tapping the cover)

anyways, i fixed it myself, seemed that the tabs on one side were over bent.
adjust all of the tabs, now it is perfectly fit!:)

2. loose headphone jack.

the model I got is macbook aluminum, so I'm not sure if MBP has this problem at all. Tried out all of my headphones: bose around ear, sennheiser,sony,creative noise-canceling earbuds,ipod earphones, new apple earphones with mic.

the only headphones work perfect with this machine are bose,and new apple earphones with mic.

I dont know if i'm the only person having this problem

in general, i'm totally amazed at the classic design of new macbook, but I'm not quite comfortable with the 'problems" with regard to the price which is almost twice as much as a mid-range laptop PC.

memyselfandhai
Aug 9, 2009, 02:03 PM
I just recently got back into the country and took my MBP in because of a loose battery cover and they offered the following solution; replace the entire battery assembly which would take about 7-10 days. No replacement battery cover or laptop (one can hope right? ;))

matthewscott661
Aug 9, 2009, 04:53 PM
Apple replaced my battery access door about a month ago because the tabs were breaking off. They ordered the part and it came in about two days, and I just had to go pick it up, but now the new part is having problems, too. While it doesn't slide back and forth like some, there are pretty large gaps on three of the four sides, and it is hard to get in and out.

realmumbhai
Apr 25, 2010, 02:45 AM
Hi there guys,
I am facing a similar problem with the MBP battery cover. One side of the cover does not seem to fit properly and seems askew while the other end fits perfectly. i am attaching a picture of the problem for you guys to give me some suggestions
I tried bending the tabs, but could not get it right? Is that the solution to this problem. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. You could also mail me at Vijayrajan10@gmail.com with any help whatsoever. :)
Thanx in advance.

alexbesht
Aug 15, 2011, 06:04 AM
Apple is pissing me off with its poor service quality and quality period.
I love my macbook but the mini-jack output became defective very shortly after end of warranty, and same goes for the battery cover

ranviper
Aug 17, 2011, 07:44 AM
Sheesh, Im sorry to hear about your guys problem. Just picked up the last 08 aluminium macbook and the battery cover is just fine. Secure as can be.

Montymitch
Aug 19, 2011, 11:33 PM
I've opened my plenty of times to replace the battery, ram, hdd, etc, and it isn't loose.
BUT, whenever I put it back on, it is super finicky and requires a light massage. I'm not kidding. If I just slap it on, it's loose. If I work it a little by kind of smoothing the edges, it goes on fine.

CodeBreaker
Aug 20, 2011, 02:01 AM
I have a similar (yet different) problem. I had dropped my computer (2.4 GHz Al Unibody) a long time ago. There was no major damage, as the computer was closed. A tiny (not noticeable) bump on the outward extreme right corner and two dot-like scratches (not noticeable) on the bottom edge.

The Unibody shape was damaged a bit, and hence the battery cover doesn't cover the entire battery bay. There is a very fine gap (< 1 mm) on either side along the shorter sides of the cover.

And to sum up, my battery is swelling, pushing the cover and the trackpad. I haven't lost any functionality, though, as I never used the trackpad buttons (I prefer tapping).

jbg232
Aug 20, 2011, 06:48 AM
I have a similar (yet different) problem. I had dropped my computer (2.4 GHz Al Unibody) a long time ago. There was no major damage, as the computer was closed. A tiny (not noticeable) bump on the outward extreme right corner and two dot-like scratches (not noticeable) on the bottom edge.

The Unibody shape was damaged a bit, and hence the battery cover doesn't cover the entire battery bay. There is a very fine gap (< 1 mm) on either side along the shorter sides of the cover.

And to sum up, my battery is swelling, pushing the cover and the trackpad. I haven't lost any functionality, though, as I never used the trackpad buttons (I prefer tapping).

If your computer is still under warranty apple will replace the battery for you for free if it is swelling.