PDA

View Full Version : Alright people, lots of confusion here...pdf, powerpoint, etc...

jackmoney
Oct 19, 2008, 09:21 AM
Alright, I've seen several posts hinting that you can read pdf and ppt in their native formats on the ipod touch.

But when searching through the forums, and the internet in general, the only thing I've come across regarding this is that you've got to turn your ppt into a video so you can watch it on the ipod touch - - ridiculous if you ask me.

So I got a new ipod touch 1g from sister after she bought the old MBP with the educational discount, etc. But I'm hesitant to open it, and am considering selling it on ebay and buy an actual computer (like a netbook) instead - though I would certainly give up a certain amount of portability.

For those of you who have the ipod touch, either 1g or 2g, my question is....can you see pdf and ppt files on the ipod touch in their native format?

As a corollary, are you able to use google docs and view pdf and ppt in their native format online?

Thanks for all who reply.

Cynicalone
Oct 19, 2008, 09:27 AM
I know you can view PDF files, no sure about PPT.

PeteB
Oct 19, 2008, 09:39 AM
Yes, there's native support for PDF, PPT, XLS, DOC - even the MS Office 2007 xml formats are supported with no manipulation or extra plugins needed.

jackmoney
Oct 19, 2008, 09:43 AM
ooohhhhh sweetness. Alright.....I might just tear into this bad boy now. What was all that mumbo jumbo about having to convert ppts then?? crazies....

mackmgg
Oct 19, 2008, 10:29 AM
ooohhhhh sweetness. Alright.....I might just tear into this bad boy now. What was all that mumbo jumbo about having to convert ppts then?? crazies....

well you can view them from emails and a program called Air Sharing, but w/o those it doesnt sync on through itunes unless its a video

jackmoney
Oct 19, 2008, 03:13 PM
ah..i see why there was confusion. I'll just download them from my google docs...should take care of the problem.

thanks for the answers.

Darth.Titan
Oct 19, 2008, 04:14 PM
Don't think that will work. Without using AirShare the only way to get files onto the iPod is to email them to yourself. You cannot download files from the web browser.

PeteB
Oct 19, 2008, 04:28 PM
Don't think that will work. Without using AirShare the only way to get files onto the iPod is to email them to yourself. You cannot download files from the web browser.

You can download files from Safari and view them. You just can't store them on the iPod for offline viewing.

840quadra
Oct 19, 2008, 06:03 PM
Powerpoint is not supported, but Keynote (a far superior presentation program ;) ) is.

One way to view your Powerpoint is to export them as Images and then email them to an account your iPod Touch can see. A slightly more advanced step is to make a video of the PPT presentation and convert it into an MP4 Video.

HTH

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&dateline=1165207334&type=profile

PeteB
Oct 20, 2008, 01:02 PM
Powerpoint is not supported, but Keynote (a far superior presentation program ;) ) is.

One way to view your Powerpoint is to export them as Images and then email them to an account your iPod Touch can see. A slightly more advanced step is to make a video of the PPT presentation and convert it into an MP4 Video.

HTH

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&dateline=1165207334&type=profile

I'm sorry, but I don't know where you got that information, but it is wrong. I often have ppt attachments in my work email and I manage to open those perfectly ok. PowerPoint 2003 and 2007 open and view without any mangling.