Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
I was wondering if anyone knows whether the new SSDs that are being shipped with the new MacBooks or MacBook Pros are SLC or MLC. The only information I've seen is that they're listed as Apple SSD SM128, but this is not very informative. Could someone with a MacBook with an SSD actually look at the SSD and list the model as written on the actual drive? Thanks.

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
I was wondering if anyone knows whether the new SSDs that are being shipped with the new MacBooks or MacBook Pros are SLC or MLC. The only information I've seen is that they're listed as Apple SSD SM128, but this is not very informative. Could someone with a MacBook with an SSD actually look at the SSD and list the model as written on the actual drive? Thanks.

Nevermind, after looking at some photos of a MacBook with the new SSD, it appears it's a Samsung MLC SSD.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Nevermind, after looking at some photos of a MacBook with the new SSD, it appears it's a Samsung MLC SSD.

Unfortunate. For the price they charge, it was almost certainly going to be MLC. The Intel MLC, however, uses a different controller and might be worth popping in yourself...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.