PDA

View Full Version : DOOM3 is getting closer

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 1, 2004, 11:18 AM
Well I know this is old news for a lot of us but if you havent seen the trailer you should check it out herehttp://www.doom3.com this is a very impressive trailer and they have some cool desktops. I like this one. This is going to be such a cool game. Still no official word of the Mac version but you may notice the trailer is in Quicktime format;)

Phatpat
Feb 1, 2004, 01:19 PM
I'm relatively new to the mac gaming scene, but every time I hear Doom 3 has a realistic chance of coming to mac I am schocked. It's such a revolutionary game...and yeah...amazing.

I also notice mac people tend to be be much more demanding of minimum requirements. A pc gamer with a 2 year old computer wouldn't expect to be able to play doom 3....but a mac user? yeah.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 1, 2004, 01:29 PM
I was looking around and i saw the minimum on Pc side will be 1 gig but that will be with everything in the off position. I would say we will need at least a 2.0 G4 only problem is Motorola is still stuck at 1.4 and has been for what a year now? to make this thing shine you will need a dual G4 1.42 or a G5 machine. I still would like to know who will be publishing it for the Mac side. The Pc version has a release date of April 1st. could be a joke or maybe it is the date. Still would love for somebody like Aspyr to come out and say we will be publishing this for the mac. Return to castle wolfenstein was Ids last game for mac and Aspyr made that one. anyways the trailer looks very good.

markjones05
Feb 1, 2004, 02:16 PM
i have a dp 1ghz 1 gig ram geforce 4 ti powermac g4. do you think i wiould be able to run doom is some way shape or form smoothly?

Nermal
Feb 1, 2004, 03:00 PM
I hope so, you've got similar specs to me (I've got a faster CPU but slower vid card).

As for the Mac version, I heard that it comes on the same CD as the Windows version (like Blizzard does with their games).

Nermal
Feb 1, 2004, 03:10 PM
Regarding the video, 40 megs, non resumable! :eek: I'd better just download the small one, it's only 12 megs.

takao
Feb 1, 2004, 03:13 PM
hmm pretty impressive screenshot very beautiful graphics

for the specs i have know idea but they will be very high i assume... Geforce 4 Ti would be a must i think ...radeon 9600pro or better recommend i think for the PC side .. this game is made to improve graphic card sales i think ;-)

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 1, 2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
I hope so, you've got similar specs to me (I've got a faster CPU but slower vid card).

As for the Mac version, I heard that it comes on the same CD as the Windows version (like Blizzard does with their games). where did you see or hear this? from the preorder sites i have seen all it mentions is Pc's.

takao
Feb 1, 2004, 04:11 PM
.....seems i need a upgrade
foudn the requriements for the PC world if somebody is intrested

Minimum:
CPU: 800 MHZ - 1 GHZ
GeForce 3 TI/ATi 9600 Pro
RAM: 256 MB RAM

Standard:
CPU: 1,7GHZ-2GHZ
GeForce 4 TI 4400/4600/ATi 9700/Pro
RAM: 512 MB RAM

Optimal:
CPU: 2.5 GHZ - 2.8 GHZ
GeForce 5800FX/5900FX/ATi 9800 Pro
RAM: 786-1024 MB RAM .

well "Minimun" will be 640x480 with everything off... and for that a 9600...ouch that hurts..

hvfsl
Feb 1, 2004, 04:47 PM
From what I have heard, you cant actually turn much of the graphic features off. The main way to make the game run faster will be to reduce the resolution. So the game should still look good on the min required spec machine.

Remember Doom3 was first shown running on a dual 450 G4 Mac at an Apple Expo.

Plus I thought ID were doing Doom3 for the Mac themselves, like they did for the Linux and Mac versions of Quake 3. Last time, Quake 3 was released on the Mac first because it did not require so much time in the bug testing stage of development.

Nermal
Feb 1, 2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
where did you see or hear this? from the preorder sites i have seen all it mentions is Pc's.

I heard it ages ago, can't remember where.

LoadRunner
Feb 1, 2004, 07:56 PM
I hate it when people sing the sky is falling. ID has stated there will be a mac version, but it probable will not have the in game level editor. This may change, because the port of gk radiant the q3a level editor for the mac is advancing at a good pace.

There was a little squabbling at the last quake con about mac support, but carmac wasn't there. Only content developers had shown up for the open forum on doom III. Carmac was sick.

Mac should hande doom better then pc. Most pcs have to handle the os, and the game on one proser. Even if id doesn't do a thing to support multi proser support, OS X breaks up many open gl, sound effects as separate threads. Plus Apple's support for open gl has never been better, many g3a user have reported gains over 50 fps in 10.3.2. And many 10.3.3 developers have reported drastic improvement in open gl. This is all good when it comes to the performance on the mac, and gaming.

Bellow is only my guess from what i've read from tom's hardware, id's development logs, ati, nvidea, and general information that has slipped out over the net. It is true the doom III is a proser hog, but that's not the hole picture. Performance should heavily rely on the bus speed, modern video cards, speed of ram access, performance tweaking of driver, opengl performance, and a sound card doesn't hurt.

Apples has been touting the benefits to the bus of the g5, It has amazing ram access, great bus speed, apple can use modern video cards, and sound cards. As mentioned before opengl being improved. G4 and especially g5 really out steps pcs when it comes to floating point calculations. If you read john carmac logs. It's always floating point this floating point that.

Also the g5 get a good speed boost from a gig of ram. Witch really reduces swapping. Freeing up the bus for more important things like feeding the video card. It should be a double whammy for doom III.

It's all about video cards. Performance will be locked by what video card doom III is running on. If you don't have a modern video card you will need to turn off effects. Old video cards do allot of it's effects by pre programed pathways. If you want fog they got a fog chip, you want fire their is a fire chip. Modern video card do not use as many hard coded effect chips.

Instead they use effect chips that can be program. Just up upload any effect they make. They want fire they can do fire, they want reflection in glass they can do reflections. If they want to do real time dynamic shadowing such as in doom III the video card can handle it.

Modern video card also have better access speed to match improvements in bus technology. Better handling of vector units to save time redigne poly gons, better passing of pre compressed textures, better command to control polygons. They have flexible fragment programming, more ram, and drps.

Doom III is a modern game for modern video cards, it's not surprising that older video cards, and first gen modern card don't do doom III in all it's glory.

But you are right to think the current comps probable won't have the best performance in doom III. When q3a was released no one could run it at a reasonable fps, at a reasonable size, or with any of the eye candy on.

BTW Wolfinstine was not developed by id software. It was an our sourced project. The dev team edited code inside q3a to handle large levels, and other thing they wanted to do. They also did not want to do the mac side, because their program are not experienced with os x. Witch is why they out sourced the mac version.

It is a good bet the mac, pc, and possible linux versions of doom III will come in one box. Q3A was developed by idsoftware for mac and pc. They had no need for another company to code the mac side, and thus did not need to distributers. They could include every thing on one cd, because they had the right to sell every version.

Now Quake 4 is out scored project and thus it is allot more likely to have two distributers if they find a need to edit any code.

The difference is ID software seem to focuses on engine more then making games.

aethier
Feb 1, 2004, 07:56 PM
Hmm it used to be on the insidemacgames "release dates" section, but it is nolonger there

aethier

Nermal
Feb 1, 2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by LoadRunner
It is a good bet the mac, pc, and possible linux versions of doom III will come in one box. Q3A was developed by idsoftware for mac and pc. They had no need for another company to code the mac side, and thus did not need to distributers. They could include every thing on one cd, because they had the right to sell every version.

Actually, Q3A was ported by Omni (http://www.omnigroup.com/games/quake3/).

we did the initial port of Quake III for Mac OS X. Though id Software has assumed responsibility for futher OS X development, Omni still occasionally contributes fixes and enhancements.

Greenpants
Feb 1, 2004, 10:19 PM
Actually, Q3A was ported by Omni.

All they did was port it to OS X. the original OS 9 version was developed simultaneously with the PC version. The same is being done for Doom 3.

BaghdadBob
Feb 1, 2004, 10:20 PM
There is no official release date. Don't believe the ************.

And it is coming to Mac. Why do we have to discuss this every goddamned time?

LoadRunner
Feb 1, 2004, 10:28 PM
Carmac worked on a rhapsody version and the os 9 version. The os 9 cd was released by id, and could be used with any of the q3a cd by down loading the latest os 9 version from idsoftwares web site.

I forgot about the omni group port. Omni kick ass, your right if it wasn't for them there would be no os x version. but ones the coded had been ported Graeme Devine who managed the os 9 version also managed the os x code base. Sense then Carmac worked with apple on at least two occasion helping them design their open gl drivers.

How did omni get involved in the port?

unforchenitly Graeme no longer with id software :( He left soon after finishing the sound system for doom III that support surround sound. It's pretty cool it take room size into account, and include tool in the engine to edit sound. He had lots of guidance by the nin guy who worked on music for doom III.

Nermal
Feb 2, 2004, 03:29 AM
Ah, I forgot all about OS 9. I knew that Omni ported to OS X, and assumed that meant Mac OS in general.

edesignuk
Feb 2, 2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by takao
Optimal:
CPU: 2.5 GHZ - 2.8 GHZ - 3.25GHz
GeForce 5800FX/5900FX/ATi 9800 Pro
RAM: 786-1024 MB RAM .

That's me in the clear then :p :D