Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
you could try setting ical as a startup item. Also you may be able to write an applescript to update the icon.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Go to system Preferences>Accounts>Startup Items. Click the plus sign and add iCal to the list (or drag it there). Then check the box to make it start up hidden.

metzler000

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
I tried what you said and it worked, thanks. Two questions though. Is that behavior normal? I guess I'm just used to a Windows environment where the time is right when you bootup. Is there a way to make it so ical starts up for all users on the computer and for users not yet created? Thanks.

John

ps. One other thing off of the subject. When most OSX users launch Photoshop or whatever, where do they do it from? The desktop? Under Applications? The Bottom bar? Just wondering.

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Yes this is normal, the time and date are up in the top right corner, iCal is just a Calendar application, I don't think most people look at it for the date.:)

And about the application launching; if you use it often, go with the Dock (bottom bar), if you use it once in a while just leave it alone and just launch from the Applications folder, I suggest leaving your desktop uncluttered.

One more thing, you can also put documents in the right side of the Dock if you didn't know that.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
that is the main icon cause that is when apple introduced ical, july 17. whenever you open ical it changed to that day's date, but only when you open the application.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.