PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using CS4 (or CS3) for their entire workflow?

NRose8989
Oct 20, 2008, 01:16 AM
I have FCE 4 but I'm going to be getting CS4 master collection in a couple weeks when my school gets them in stock. I'm curious to see if anyone uses the whole suite exclusively i.e. Premiere, AE, Encore etc.

How does the work flow of premiere compare to final cut?

Is there anything that final cut does better?

Would it even be worth getting final cut studio down the road?

I know that there are a ton of threads about this but I'd prefer to get a recent opinion about the suites.

Chaos123x
Oct 20, 2008, 01:40 AM
Premiere and Final Cut are almost exactly the same as far as how they control and operate.

That said I still would recommend getting Final Cut Studio, but you might want to wait until Final Cut Studio 3 comes out, 2 has been out for awhile.

Final Cut overall is better than premiere as far as features, stability, and most important getting jobs!!! The apps FCS comes with are awesome and all integrate very well.

Premiere is great for personal use, but most places that you will find work at require FCP or Avid.

Exman
Oct 20, 2008, 01:45 AM
They are similar. If you can use Final Cut, Premier will feel right at home to you. The workflow are similar, the interface are only slightly differently laid out.

CS4 have GPU acceleration and is very nicely integrated together with Bridge, Photoshop, Lightroom, After Effects and so on.

I prefer Adobe CS over FC studio.

thechidz
Oct 20, 2008, 01:52 AM
just curious can you use cs for audio editing and replace logic/gb?

NRose8989
Oct 20, 2008, 01:58 AM
just curious can you use cs for audio editing and replace logic/gb?

The CS master & production suites come with Soundbooth which is the same i guess. I'm going to get CS because i also need PS and Indesign, and its cheaper just to buy the whole master collection.

Chaos123x
Oct 20, 2008, 02:08 AM
Soundbooth is more like Soundtrack Pro than logic.

Exman
Oct 20, 2008, 02:19 AM
Audio is not really my area, but I think Logic's equivalent from Adobe is Audition.

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/overview.html

Chaos123x
Oct 20, 2008, 02:29 AM
Adobe Audition used to be called Cool Edit Pro before Adobe bought them out.

thechidz
Oct 20, 2008, 02:50 AM
so would adobe products be the best way to go for video and editing projects across platforms? vista and leopard...

Chaos123x
Oct 20, 2008, 02:59 AM
Both Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer are cross platform.

But Premiere uses .avi on PC and .mov on Mac, which causes some problems.

The other problem is using NTFS and OS X formatted drives.... they are both not compatible fully, mac can read NTFS but can not write, and Windows needs a program called Mac Drive to work with mac formatted disks..... They both can use FAT32 but that format sucks for editing video and will cause lots of problems.

Avid Media Composer is the same on Mac and PC.

Either way I personally prefer editing with FCP but it's not on Windows.

I would not use Windows for Video Editing anyway.

mBox
Oct 20, 2008, 05:48 AM
Both Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer are cross platform...Agreed. I use Avid MC on both, however Avid on the PC is not as robust but does have all the goodies working e.g. XDCAM Import etc...

But Premiere uses .avi on PC and .mov on Mac, which causes some problems...As long as you find a common ground or just be weary of the differences. Mixing them in one project is sometimes a pain, but in the end for me it all comes out MPG2/MPG4.

The other problem is using NTFS and OS X formatted drives.... they are both not compatible fully, mac can read NTFS but can not write, and Windows needs a program called Mac Drive to work with mac formatted disks..... They both can use FAT32 but that format sucks for editing video and will cause lots of problems...WE got around that using an xServe and xServeRAID OSX Server combo. Sadly that doesnt fix the Avid part. Its not hard to move files around for Avid (they use a special drive set-up) but it takes a bit of dilligence to know what your moving :P

Avid Media Composer is the same on Mac and PC....Either way I personally prefer editing with FCP but it's not on Windows...I would not use Windows for Video Editing anyway.I would almost agree with you on sticking to the Mac for videos. But again if your really serious about it and you do your homework, its possible to survive across the two platforms. Ive been doing this for years with 3D, CG, Video, DAW, Web and basic Administration. Even with the intro of BootCamp We've tried, played and tested, now I dont even bother cause we have access to both platforms at work. I like to keep the machines as what they are originally are.
Ooops I forgot to add that we use the FC Studio for everything else on the Mac as well and even share one host machine with Avid. They all get along well ;)